homeowner with warning sign on front door killed

zDouble Shooting Happened At House With Warning Sign - Greenville News Story - WYFF Greenville

A warning sign on a front door didn’t prevent a robbery attempt that ended with two people dead.Douglas "Butch" Burgess Jr., 62, had a sign posted on the front door of his house on Pelham Street in Greer that said: “PLAY IT SAFE – ROB SOMEONE ELSE – WE HAVE GUNS AND WLL NOT HESITATE TO SHOOT YOU.â€The Greek lettering on the sticker above the sign translates: "COME AND TAKE THEM.â€

[TABLE=class: clkImgTbl, width: 240]

[TR]

[TD]

Douglas Burgess[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Police said that 34-year-old Tamika Weatherspoon tried to rob Burgess on Monday. After Weatherspoon pulled a gun, Burgess and she ended up shooting each other, police said.Burgess died at the scene. Weatherspoon was wounded in the leg. She died in surgery after being airlifted to a hospital. (

Full Story

)On Wednesday, Weatherspoon’s brother, Michael Antoninius Weatherspoon, was arrested and charged with murder, attempted armed robbery and conspiracy, Lt. Jimmy Holcombe said.

The investigation revealed that Michael Weatherspoon drove his sister to the home and provided her with the weapon she used to commit the crime, Holcombe said.In the state of South Carolina, the "hand of one is the hand of all" when it comes to violent crime. So investigators said since because Michael Weatherspoon provided the gun and had knowledge of what his sister intended to do, he is culpable.Burgess' brother-in-law said the family is happy about the arrest, but they still want to find out why it all happened.The investigation is still ongoingRead more:

Double Shooting Happened At House With Warning Sign - Greenville News Story - WYFF Greenville

Guest Lester Weevils

The feller fullfilled his promise. No guarantees in life. Bad guys 1, good guy 2 (assuming the brother goes to jail for a goodly portion of his life). Not the optimal outcome, but better than bad guys 1, good guy 0.

Since the gal didn't die from bleeding out first or anything from the leg wound, seems kind of odd she croaked even though she made it all the way to surgery; would assume she'd have been stabilized by then.

- OS

Nicked her femoral and it ruptured during surgery? Guessing aloud here...

Nicked her femoral and it ruptured during surgery? Guessing aloud here...

I thought femoral right off, but figgured wouldn't have made it to the table in first place, seems if happened once there they could clamp it and stitch okay. Just sort of odd.

- OS

In some other robbery case I read about somewhere, the victim shot and killed one of 2 criminals and the surviving criminal was charged with the death of the his partner in crime in addittion to robbery and whatever else. I liked that idea and hope it applies here too.

I sure wish the homeowner hadn't died, but at least he took one scumbag down with him. It may sound cruel, but I'm glad she didn't die instantly. She deserves every moment of pain she endured before she died.

Guest Lester Weevils
To me this is a lot like OC and just telling the turds what to expect and where its coming from.

Yep.

I think some of the signs they sell at gun shows are funny but wouldn't ever think about hanging one on my house.

For one thing, even if it didn't turn out to be a burglar magnet, it just seems too cocky for me to want on my house. Pride before the fall kinda thang. Hey ya'll, watch this!

In addition, if there was ever a home defense shoot that had even a whiff of suspicion that it wasn't two-hundred percent a kosher shoot, a house sign promising to kill burglars deader than 50 doorknobs might be a gift from god to an unfriendly prosecutor or ambulance chaser?

But I'm glad the feller got one off. Evens up the score a little bit anyway.

Thirty-five years ago I thought anybody totin a pistol was a crazy redneck (having met a few fitting that description to a T). Went on the road playing music and the drummer was kinda crazy and kinda redneck, but not completely so. :( He always toted a .38 snub even in states and cities I know for dam sure they were illegal. It was the first time I got an explanation I was smart enough to understand about toting a pistol.

He was saying that we live on the road all year in hotels. He was saying that every once in awhile somebody turns up dead in an elevator. He said that if he ever got shot he didn't want to be the only one.

Guest bkelm18
In some other robbery case I read about somewhere, the victim shot and killed one of 2 criminals and the surviving criminal was charged with the death of the his partner in crime in addittion to robbery and whatever else. I liked that idea and hope it applies here too.

I think the article said the accomplice would be charged with murder. There was a case here in Oak Ridge a few years ago where two dudes break into a home and one of the home occupants bashes one of the burgler's in the head with a portable heater. He died and the accomplice was going to be charged with his murder. Don't recall the outcome.

Since the gal didn't die from bleeding out first or anything from the leg wound, seems kind of odd she croaked even though she made it all the way to surgery; would assume she'd have been stabilized by then.

- OS

Severing the femoral doesn't always end up in instant death. She was probably circling the drain by the time first responders showed up to stop the bleeding. Even in a hospital environment with all that technology and smart doctors, some people just can't bounce back after that much trauma/blood loss. This isn't uncommon at all.

What happened to this homeowner is terrible. However, there is an important distinction to be made here.

I was taught that there are two means of addressing a potential threat: the appearance of security, and actual security means.

The first has a goal of deterrence and involves stuff that would make a BG prefer a different, easier target (motion sensor floodlights, big loud dog, etc.). This is good most of the time, but if it's that's the full extent of your security program and the BG realizes it, you're toast. Putting a sign like the one in the OP outside your house definitely falls into this category.

The second has a goal not of deterring a BG's assault but rather of overwhelming and defeating it. An actual security mentally presupposes that the worst will happen. Actual security involves (among other things) hardening a location, locating redoubts, training aggressively with your weapons, knowing everything that's going on in the neighborhood, and practicing a reaction plan for when bad things happen. Actual security means often go unobserved, but make it substantially more difficult for a BG to ruin your life. Witty 2A signs or motion activated lights will disappoint you every time when real-deal armed baddies show up.

All of us here could post on our front door something proud and aggressive about being gun owners. So why don't we? RobertNashville's right on target. It's because -as one expert noted a couple thousand years ago - if you appear weak when you're actually strong, the BG won't know your capabilities until he is overwhelmed and defeated.

Edited by Wheelgunner
... It's because -as one expert noted a couple thousand years ago - if you appear weak when you're actually strong, the BG won't know your capabilities until he is overwhelmed and defeated.

Assuming you are referring to "The Art of War", it's impressive that a 2500 year old book is so applicable today.

Eh, it depends on what you're threat is. Criminals are opportunists and prey on the weak. If they observe you as a hard target they will most likely look for an easier one. On the other hand, if someone is bent on going after you specifically, then it's best not to keep your defense plans so overt. I don't think that it can be definitively argued that what the enemy does or doesn't know is the best defensive strategy; the circumstances will dictate. I would say the best is a combination of the two.

For example, Russia was well aware of our nuclear cababilities during the cold war. It wasn't as if we were hiding our nuclear arsenal from them. However, that doesn't mean we let them know where our subs are parked. The deterrent is there along with a back up plan if that deterrent happens to fail.

Police said the investigation revealed that the homeowner, 62-year-old Douglas Burgess, answered the door at his residence and the suspect, 34-year-old Tamika Yvette Weatherspoon, asked for some money.

Police said when Burgess refused to give Weatherspoon any money, she pulled a gun, and he then pulled a gun. Burgess and Weatherspoon each fired one shot, police said.

Greenville County Deputy Coroner Kent Dill said Weatherspoon, from Greer, was airlifted and died during surgery at Greenville Memorial Hospital. Dill said Weatherspoon was shot in the upper leg. Dill said Burgess died from a gunshot wound to the chest. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Don’t put gun signs on your house or car.

She planted one in his chest, he shot her in the leg. Even standing in his house with cover, the victim exposed himself and obviously was not prepared for what happened. The good guys don’t always win.

Severing the femoral doesn't always end up in instant death. She was probably circling the drain by the time first responders showed up to stop the bleeding. Even in a hospital environment with all that technology and smart doctors, some people just can't bounce back after that much trauma/blood loss. This isn't uncommon at all.

+1

And someone can bleed out enough and thus reduce oxygen amounts to a point that they are 100% brain dead yet their heart still beats. There is a difference between the brain and the brain stem. It is quite possible for someone to be completely brain dead yet still have a heartbeat as well as other autonomous functions. The brain stem controls the most basic of functions vital to staying alive like heartbeat, bloodpressure and breathing.

I suspect, as TMF 18B said, that she lost so much blood that she was unable to recover no matter how much blood they put back in her.

Dolomite

To me this is a lot like OC and just telling the turds what to expect and where its coming from.

+1

The element of surprise is an advantage I believe. Advertising that you have guns in your home to the perps not only gives them the idea that, I had better hurry up and shoot them before they shoot me, it also advertises that you have alot of money(guns), to trade for crack or meth. Just go ahead and post a sign that says, there's alot of money here, shoot me.

+1

And someone can bleed out enough and thus reduce oxygen amounts to a point that they are 100% brain dead yet their heart still beats. There is a difference between the brain and the brain stem. It is quite possible for someone to be completely brain dead yet still have a heartbeat as well as other autonomous functions. The brain stem controls the most basic of functions vital to staying alive like heartbeat, bloodpressure and breathing.

I suspect, as TMF 18B said, that she lost so much blood that she was unable to recover no matter how much blood they put back in her.

Dolomite

The more likely scenario is that she went into DIC. In the event of hypovolemic shock, the body will shunt blood to the most vital organs; the brain being one of the last to loose profusion. However, it is not uncommon for people with traumatic injuries, especially those involving large bones, to enter a condition know as disseminated intravascular coagulation. I participated in an autopsy of a patient who had what some would consider relatively minor injuries but still bled to death on an operating table. The worst injury sustained was a pelvic fracture, but even after about 8 units of blood within 10 minutes, the patient still bled out because of DIC.

I agree about the signs giving away your element of surprise. I still can't help but wonder what, if any, deterrent value they have. If we believe that an armed citizenry is a crime deterrent, how else will a would-be criminal know?