Smith & Wesson SD?

Lumber_Jack

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Sigma was a disaster for the quality reputation of S&W. The SD was supposed to be a better Sigma. One of them has to go, but now there is talk (rumors) it will be the SD. There isn’t enough price difference with the SD for it to compete against the M&P. And if they dump the Sigma they risk losing the price buyer market.

If it were me I would drop the Sigma and put the SD at the price point of the Sigma. :hiding:

The S&W SD is more akin to the M&P then the Sigma; it doesn’t have the interchangeable back straps but is nicely made. If I were in a management position at S&W the Sigma would be tossed and replaced by the SD. I wouldn’t mind having the opportunity to do a comparison test between the SD9 and a Glock 19 to see how the compare. Given that S&W now have the M&P 22 for inexpensive training I think that they’re positioned to increase their market share. Hopefully they’ve got someone with enough sense in R&D and marketing to see this.

Sigma got a bad rap. Apparently the early ones were crap, but the VE series was outstanding as an entry level weapon. Reliable, accurate, and well built.

If the SD series is an improvement over the VE series, then I'd say it's a winner.

Oh, and anyone who thought the Sigma trigger was too heavy, well, they were a pansy. :)

The Sigma is a fine, inexpensive gun for self defense. It does have about a 12# trigger, but for their market, that is a much better than a light trigger. If one can develop the trigger control to fire this gun accurately, it will definitely help one to shoot other guns better.

The SD is phenominal. I have the 9 and the 40. Longer pull and less definitive reset but fine shooting guns. Standard front night sight. It is very much a blend between the M&P and the sigma. The Apex kit is very inexpensive and makes a noticeable difference.

I'd put it up to a glock any day. The Sigma I have has put plenty down range. The bigger issue is glock snobs and their need for stronger trigger fingers. People can complain about the trigger all they want but if you can shoot a sigma well you can shoot anything well. The SD is an exceptional weapon with loads to offer in the price point. Is it a M&P? Nope. Is it a sigma? Nope. Anyone close by who wants to meet to put some ammo through either one let me know. I'll bring my M&P and Sigma as well for comparison.

I own both the Sigma and the SD in 9mm. The SD has a better trigger than the Sigma imho. They both have taken all the ammo we've ever put thru them with no problems at all. If I wanted a low priced, reliable carry gun I'd choose the SD without hesitation. If someone is on a really tight budget they could select the Sigma and still have a good reliable gun.

i wouldn't touch it... I hated the sigma and I felt bad for the LEO that had to carry it. The M&P line is pretty nice, reliable, and reasonably price.

What about it did you hate. The only bad thing I have really heard from the newer ones is trigger

The SD is a warmed over Sigma. The magazines interchange between the two as long as you swap base plates. The triggers are identical as far as pull and function. I would save the $100+ and buy a Sigma over the SD although the SD does look nicer.

I owned a Sigma and never had a single issue with it. It was one of the better feeling guns to shoot. The trigger was really heavy but I installed a reduced striker spring and that took care of a lot of the trigger pull issues.

The early Sigmas had issues but the new VE models do not, every one I have ever seen or fired has been 100% reliable. And honestly when you consider they can be had for under $300 that is a great deal for a reliable gun.

Dolomite

Definitly agree with Dolomite. I have owned bot the Sigma 40 and the SD40 and still have the SD. The later production Sigma was pretty much trouble free and was very reliabe and easy tos shoot. I had John Wall at Eastside ask to play with my Sigma as he wanted to see what he could do to improve the trigger. Got it back in a few days after he'd done his magic on it and it was noticably improved. And although I did trade the Sigma later, I kind regret it, as it was a very good range gun and well worth the price I gave for it.

The SD40, as said above, seems to feel and hold better, and for me at least had a marginally better trigger than the Sigma. All in all, I didn't have a problem with either on and wouldn't hesitate to buy another at the right price.

I owned on of the very early Sigma SW 40 model pistols after their initial release and did not like the way it handled for me. At that time I already owned an early 2nd generation G-19 and G-23 which influenced my decision to trade the Sigma for a G-22. Insofar as reliability and accuracy the Sigma had performed well for me so that was a non-issue. It was only later that I began reading about and then observing some of the reliability issues with the Sigma’s.

The S&W SD is different enough that I would not consider grouping it with or comparing it to the Sigma. Further it is priced in a range to make it competitive in the defensive pistol offering selections to those on a budget. Just because you are on a budget should not force you to sacrifice on performance or reliability, polish and finish are where you cut corners to achieve cost savings. The SD would benefit from a single column magazine design and subsequently slimmer frame.