I saw a "holy crap" at a gun shop yesterday !

tercel89

I was with my little girl and we were at a gun shop yesterday. I was waiting to look at a gun at the counter. A nice well dressed man comes in with some AR/M4 type rifles. I think he was trying to trade or sell them. Now this guy looks like a well to do fellow and like he knew a decent amount of knowledge on guns. Well he shows and tells the guy behind the counter what he wants out of the rifles . They look like nice rifles. Well the store clerk picks up one of the rifles and does a good safety check and guess what ? A LIVE ROUND EJECTS WHEN HE PULLS THE ACTION OPEN!!!!! WOW!!! I couldnt believe it. The store clerks eyes got as big as mine. I accidently said "holy crap" out loud , the guy next to me looked like he was surprised too . But the guy that brought in the rifles didnt seem phased at all (idiot) . There were people crowded in there along with 3 small children (one was mine) and this rifle was chambered and ready to go while this guy brought it in waving it around and all. IT is amazing at how people are sometimes. I have made mistakes before but man that was crazy dangerous.

My son and I were right beside you at the counter. I was amazed to say the least .....it laid on the counter pointed at us for 5 min before it was checked. At least the salesperson checked it immediately after picking it up.

Edited by Threeeighty

My son and I were right beside you at the counter. I was amazed to say the least .....it laid on the counter pointed at us for 5 min before it was checked. At least the salesperson checked it immediately after picking it up.

Was that you that was buying a SIg with the 2 little ones ? I was the guy there with the little 4 yr old girl.

The ignorance of many gun owners is just astounding. I've seen it before at gunshops; someone will bring a WTS or WTT gun in fully loaded. We must all strive to be fully aware of safe gun handling, especially in public. We all wind up getting a black-eye.....or worse.

I sometimes wonder if there aren't extremist antis who would take loaded guns in on purpose hoping there will be an accident. An 'accidental' shooting in a gun store being all over the press would have to be good for their 'cause'.

I am not saying that the guy in this incident wasn't just a garden variety idiot. It does make me wonder, though.

Edited by JAB

Unfortunately, poor gun handling can be seen at many of the indoor ranges. People loading guns behind the firing lines, bringing a malfunction behind the line, not pointing down range etc. It is everyone's responsibility to politely point safety breeches out to that person at that time. If it is repeated, then simply report to management immediately.

This is why I am glad guns scare the crap out of me and I respect the rules of the game. I took a friend to the range a few weeks ago, he was shooting I was not paying attention to him. He walks back with an empty clip saying the gun was empty. I walk up to the counter, pick up the gun, and automatically my brain says "check it". So I did and there was a live round. Routine = Safety.

There is no cure for stupid. I have met people with advanced college degrees that don't have the common sense my dog has. God has a good sense of humor. I am surprised that the shop does not have a "clear all firearms before entry" policy.

Funny you mention that,in a 4 month span there were 3 ADs by the same shooter at Chattanooga Rifle Club's Practical Pistol matchs several years ago.The shooter was a Professor at Southern Adventist University.The Match director let the guy keep coming back because he was a nice guy and sprayed the kudzu around the range with Roundup.......

Well, jeez,

I spent a little time in Iraq, and went out on the convoys on a mission from time to time. We all went with hot weapons of course. Because of the way the Army runs things, I got to sit in the right rear seat of the humvees and the troops were deferential. Nevertheless, when we got back to the International Zone and pulled up to the weapons clearing barrels, I would turn to the much more experienced Sergeants and ask to be supervised as I cleared my weapon, "as I don't do this all that often and I don't want a negligent discharge." I never got turned down and frankly the Soldiers were glad I asked. Insert your favorite FGO lobotomy joke here.

If the 'perfesser' above at the Practical Pistol matches is kinda waving his weapon around and popping it off, perhaps he needs to be adopted and get a little supervision.

I have had two close calls with negligent/accidental discharges. Thankfully, the muzzle rule saved me both times.

The first was when I was very young and just started hunting. I had a borrowed gun, and I was trying to unload after completing the hunt. The safety was difficult to disengage to clear the chamber, and when it did finally disengage, the gun discharged. The muzzle was pointed at soft ground, but it still scared the hell out of my buddy and me.

The second was while doing some skeet shooting just out in a field. I was with a couple of very inexperienced shooters, but I had layed out the safety rules included no loaded guns while you are not shooting and always keep the muzzle in a safe direction. For some dumbass reason, one person chose to ignore the rule about being unloaded unless shooting. He had an old 16ga single shot. He loaded a round in the chamber, and was apparently try to actually cock the hammer. The hammer slipped and dropped on the charged chamber. Of course it went off, but again, thankfully, the muzzle was in a good direction. I have no idea what the hell he was doing, and he could provide no explaination for his actions. I have never been shooting with him again.