Another Walmart Story - Collierville,TN

I went to walmart tonight to pick up some shoe cushion inserts and other things with the wife and decided to get a box of ammo. We walked around the sporting goods section for a few minutes looking for a clerk until we finally decided to go have someone page them. After a few more minutes of me waiting by the ammo the photo center guy came over and began looking for the keys to the case. As he was searching a manager walked by and informed both the clerk and I that this Walmart does not sell ammo after 7 p.m due to a shooting that happened "last year" on the premises; his words. I informed him I had been buying ammo after 7p.m here for years and his response was "you should'nt have been". I just said OK and walked off. I know I am preaching to the choir here but I though I would share it anyways. I am going to contact the store manager tomorrow and discuss it with him. I normally leave well enough alone on concealed carry issues but since this is just an ammo sale issue and I do have other places to buy I think I will push the issue further. Thoughts? Comments?

What I find odd is that people still buy ammo or anything else as Walmart.

odd that the people of collierville are tolerating that

What I find odd is that people still buy ammo or anything else from Walmart but especially ammo or anything firearms related. :shrug:

I really mean no offense to anyone but come on folks, do you think ANYBODY in Walmart management from local store management right to company headquarters gives a flying you know what about firearms or those who support our passion/past time/rights?

Obviously everyone can do as they please but I buy firearms related items from firearm dealers or other firearm enthusiasts...I really encourage others to do the same.

Edited by RobertNashville

Obviously everyone can do as they please but I buy firearms related items from firearm dealers or other firearm enthusiasts...I really encourage others to do the same.

I buy 'em where they're cheapest.

Even though all the ammo at WalMart is from China, and the American guns are made from Costa Rican parts assembled in Tierra Del Fuego.

- OS

• Like 2

I'm all for supporting my local gun store but I am NOT going to pay 50% to 100% more for Ammo that is equally crappy and often more crappy than Walmart bulk.

Buying ammo at Walmart is always a pain.

The guy with the key is always on break.

I will say though that at the Rivergate Walmart the manager was VERY apologetic and talking to the employees in front of me about how they can fix it.

I hop between Dickerson, Rivergate and Hendersonville for Ammo.

Hendersonville is consistently easier to find help.

I'm all for supporting my local gun store but I am NOT going to pay 50% to 100% more for Ammo that is equally crappy and often more crappy than Walmart bulk.

I will say though that at the Rivergate Walmart the manager was VERY apologetic and talking to the employees in front of me about how they can fix it.

I have been buying WWB at Academy for ~$20 per 100 rounds of 9mm 115 grain, how much cheaper is it at Walmart?

That's odd because I live in Collierville and don't remember any shooting there last year. I don't like the service at the Collierville store so I usually drive over to Cordova and shop there.

RobertNashville- that's an odd assumption you have about the management at Walmart. I know a lot of managers with Walmart that are just like the rest of us here. They have their HCP, they hunt, a few have built their own 1911s and AR-15s. They would love to spend a hour talking about guns but their work keeps them from doing that. I know 2 that are retired military and served to protect our right to own firearms. Until you get to know some of these managers I ask that you not make such a strong assumption.

As I don't and won't darken the door of Walmart I don't know how cheep their ammo is but I would be surprised if it's any more of a savings than a few pennies per round at most than what I pay for my ammo.

The more folks frequent Walmart for firearms/ammo the more business it takes away from those who who's entire business is serving the firearms community...do that long enough and all that will be left IS Walmart. I guess that's fine, for a while...but what happens when some idiot in Arkansas decides that floorspace in all the Walmarts would net then a few dollars more per s foot per year if they got rid of all their firearms products and put in something else...where do you go for your ammo then (since firearms dealers will be few and far between)?

Yeah I know, it sounds like a far-fetched scenario...may well be a far-fetched scenario but I've been in the business world lone enough to see decisions like that made on a routine basis.

Okay; rant off...I feel better now. :)

I went to walmart tonight to pick up some shoe cushion inserts and other things with the wife and decided to get a box of ammo. We walked around the sporting goods section for a few minutes looking for a clerk until we finally decided to go have someone page them. After a few more minutes of me waiting by the ammo the photo center guy came over and began looking for the keys to the case. As he was searching a manager walked by and informed both the clerk and I that this Walmart does not sell ammo after 7 p.m due to a shooting that happened "last year" on the premises; his words. I informed him I had been buying ammo after 7p.m here for years and his response was "you should'nt have been". I just said OK and walked off. I know I am preaching to the choir here but I though I would share it anyways. I am going to contact the store manager tomorrow and discuss it with him. I normally leave well enough alone on concealed carry issues but since this is just an ammo sale issue and I do have other places to buy I think I will push the issue further. Thoughts? Comments?

It's like the old saying, "Einstein didn't sell ammo at Walmart"

...or something like that ;)

Before 7pm, after 7pm, didn't seem to matter when we were at that Walmart the other day. We were standing right in front of the case looking for a couple of boxes of .223 to go sight in a new rifle and the lady working the counter was there when we walked up and immediately disappeared when we started looking, No luck finding anyone remotely close to the case once we were ready to purchase. That location has seemed crappier than the rest the few times I've gone in there.

• Like 1

but what happens when some idiot in Arkansas decides that floorspace in all the Walmarts would net then a few dollars more per s foot per year if they got rid of all their firearms products and put in something else...where do you go for your ammo then (since firearms dealers will be few and far between)?

When that happens someone will realize there is a void and there is a demand for it they will open a shop. It is that pesky supply and demand thing. If there is a demand in the supply chain for something someone is going to see an opportunity and fill it.

Dolomite

Guest A10thunderbolt

When that happens someone will realize there is a void and there is a demand for it they will open a shop. It is that pesky supply and demand thing. If there is a demand in the supply chain for something someone is going to see an opportunity and fill it.

Dolomite

Wow someone does know about economics on here! When will people stop trying to change economics in the end, it will straighten itself out, it might be painful, but it will.

I've been in Collierville for the past 10 years and can't ever remember a shooting at WalMart. A lot of times I do my grocery doing after 7 and have bought there no problems. It may be difficult to find someone but if you keep bugging them they'll show up. Dont get me started on the customer service, typical Memphis attitude. They are doing you a favor by helping you...

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Dolomite

You have a better grasp of basic economics than most of our elected politicians, especially the idiot in the White House. However, I realize it's not saying a lot. :lol:

Guest motonut

I have never had a problem at the WM in Mt Juliet but I've never been there in the evening either. Most I've ever had to do is find an employee in the auto or hardware dept with the keys. Prices are better than most places online and FAR better than Reloaders Bench.

Now once they get the Academy Sports built I'll most likely shop there. Our local Dick's, forget about it!

Wow someone does know about economics on here! When will people stop trying to change economics in the end, it will straighten itself out, it might be painful, but it will.

I understand economics..I also understand that many things "work out in the end"...it's the in-between times that concern me me...I'm also concerned that so many firearms enthusiasts don't seem to care about supporting the vendors that support what we say we are enthusiastic about. :screwy:

I also find it very odd that less then complementary posts about Walmart keep showing up here yet people keep going there anyway. :shrug:

P.S.

An "economist" is someone who is very, very good with numbers but isn't smart enough to be an accountant or an engineer. :)

At what point do you quit going to local dealers? For me it is when they are charging more than I am willing to pay for the priviledge to say I bought local. I am part of their marketplace and I will choose who I will bear and who I will not.

I was at a dealer yesterday that had Keltec P3AT's for $419. They had Glocks in the $650-$750 range and used ones for $600+. Not to mention Tula 7.62x39 ammo for $12.99 a box, the same is $4.79 at Walmart. Every AR they had was over $1,000, including the Bushmaster Patrol Carbine available at Walmart for $844. Every gun they had was 25%-30% more than a store only a few miles away.

The dealer can charge whatever they want but don't complain when your prices are so out of line no one will pay them.

I do buy from local dealers but only when I feel what they are asking is fair. What I consider fair and what you consider fair are not going to be the same.

Dolomite

• Like 2