Wal-Mart ammo use question.

I was at Wal-Mart, in West Knoxville, at about 10:30 P.M.. When I was checking out after buying some ammo the guy asked if I was using it for pistol or rifle. Has anyone else noticed this? I'm wondering if they are doing this now so that people who aren't 21 but use pistol ammo in carbines can buy so sales don't leave. The reason I'm wondering that is because it seems like pistol caliber rifles are starting to become more popular.

are you under 21? Otherwise I don't see the reason for asking. although ive heard many times that they ask. they have never asked me personally though. I do believe its because of the "buying handgun ammo under 21 law"

Edited by Lumber_Jack

I'm really not aware of any handgun that uses .17HMR though, lol. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Well, it's Wally's muddled attempt to comply with muddled federal law.

I think the register prompts them to ask on any ammo, some do, some just punch it for whatever.

- OS

Some clerks ask and some do not. I think they were trained to ask the question, same as they were trained to look at your ID when you buy booze.

I always tell them I do not know, that I have both types of guns that use the same ammo and it is based off my whim on shootin' day. One of them seemed amazed that 9mm rifles exist, it is always fun to educate the younguns.

I've never been asked at walmart or any other store, but if asked if it was for a rifle or pistol, my answer would have been -shotgun.

Lol, seeing that reaction would be great. Barrel insert for a shotgun? Hmm... That's an idea right there... (over-under/side-by-side) Edited by gjohnsoniv
Guest sqlightning

I'm really not aware of any handgun that uses .17HMR though, lol. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

taurus makes a revolver that shoots it

I figured that there would be someone out there who made a revolver for it. I've personally never had a problem with not being able to buy ammo after 10:30, but I have heard a lot about it, seems like it's mainly the younger employees. I've always gotten an older employee who really doesn't seem to care what time it is.

Some clerks ask and some do not. I think they were trained to ask the question, same as they were trained to look at your ID when you buy booze.

It's driven by the scanned UPC on the box of ammunition. If someone back in Bentonville assigned that UPC code to do so, the cash register will prompt the cashier to ask the question. Whether or not the cashier actually asks is up for grabs. If you look over 21, they're not going to ask because it doesn't matter. If you look under 21, they'll ask.

In other words, if you aren't getting asked, it's for one of three reasons...

1 - The UPC wasn't assigned to prompt

2 - The clerk doesn't care

3 - You look old :stir:

It's driven by the scanned UPC on the box of ammunition. If someone back in Bentonville assigned that UPC code to do so, the cash register will prompt the cashier to ask the question. Whether or not the cashier actually asks is up for grabs. If you look over 21, they're not going to ask because it doesn't matter. If you look under 21, they'll ask.

3 - You look old :stir:

4 - Clerks are idiots. I knew Noah, and get asked once in a while.

- OS

Sorry. :wave:

Taurus Tracker 17

and for other calibers.....Thompson Center Arms

Edited by R_Bert

3 - You look old

OS added #5 so I'll add #6 & 7:

#6- some clerks are gun owners/shooters/former military and they don't ask because they know what type of guns the ammo is for.

#7- (related to #2) they don't care because they don't think its not anyones business why you are buying the ammo and what you plan to shoot it out of, so long as you are old enough to buy it.

It would seem to be that something prompts them to ask.

I have been buying ammunition and got asked the pistol or rifle question about 1/2 way through the ring up process. And considering the only thing I buy is 22lr it is a particular brand vs. another brand that prompted that question. The last time I bought anything other than 22lr was a few weeks ago and it was 7.62x39. Prior to that is has been at least 3 years that I bought anything centerfire.

Dolomite

Wow, you do a lot of reloading.

Everything I shoot is reloads. The only time I buy factory ammo is when I need brass like the recent 7.62x39 purchase. I do buy factory ammo to practice with my wife's carry pistol.

As a matter of fact I cast every pistol bullet I shoot as well. Makes shooting every caliber equal in price. The cost of 9mm is about the same as 45 acp. Both cost me less than a nickel a shot. Every round of the 3,000+ rounds through my 1911 was a reload even though I hadn't started casting for it until recently. When buying all the components 45 acp was .12-.13 each loaded round and 9mm was about .10-.11 each loaded round.

Caster sent me a bunch of cast 30 caliber bulelts to try. If any of them work out in my x39 bolt gun I will be casting those as well. And when I do that each x39 round is going to cost me under .15 each for supersonic loads and the same as 45 for the subsonic loads.

Dolomite