Wal-Mart ammo use question.

Guest canebreaker

Wow. I would like to reload in the future, but with the amount of shooting I do I can't justify the initial cost.

You can start slow finding a press or kit. Get you a notebook, record prices from the mfg. co., then other supply houses, compare prices. Watch www.craigslist.org not just your area, but just beyond. sporting goods and general. www.armslist.com , I go to all states for reloading. Pick up a piece or 2 as you go. When contacting seller, offer a little less than what they want.

Here's 2 deals I got off of armslist. 12 RCBS die locknuts mailed to me for $10. 2 sets of Lee dies, 9mm and 38 spl., mailed for $30. If they don't like your offer, you can pay what they want or go away.

I was thinking about just starting with the basic single press and dies for .223/5.56, and 9mm. The one type of ammo I could justify is the 7.62x38R, that stuff is a pain to find and expensive. Also I have no clue as to the first step to reloading other than knock out the primer and go from there. Started watching some videos on Youtube, but it would be better to watch someone do it in real time, not a video.

Edited by gjohnsoniv
Guest canebreaker

I've had 3 ppl to come here and walked through single stage. It's a bit far for you to come here. Maybe someone in your area can help.

Guest canebreaker

I'm in southaven, ms. I-55 8 miles south of memphis, tn. Take a vacation and do some crappie fishing at pickwick while you're here too.

I was thinking about just starting with the basic single press and dies for .223/5.56, and 9mm. The one type of ammo I could justify is the 7.62x38R, that stuff is a pain to find and expensive. Also I have no clue as to the first step to reloading other than knock out the primer and go from there. Started watching some videos on Youtube, but it would be better to watch someone do it in real time, not a video.

Before you invest in any reloading equipment, get one or more reloading manuals as they will explain each step of the reloading process and the equipment needed.

• Like 1

Wow. I would like to reload in the future, but with the amount of shooting I do I can't justify the initial cost.

Before you invest in any reloading equipment, get one or more reloading manuals as they will explain each step of the reloading process and the equipment needed.

Online reloading intros -

http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/presses-and-kits/pdf/IntroToReloading.pdf

http://www.redding-reloading.com/images/stories/PDFfiles/ammo_reloading_guide.pdf

I was at Wal-Mart, in West Knoxville, at about 10:30 P.M.. When I was checking out after buying some ammo the guy asked if I was using it for pistol or rifle. Has anyone else noticed this? I'm wondering if they are doing this now so that people who aren't 21 but use pistol ammo in carbines can buy so sales don't leave. The reason I'm wondering that is because it seems like pistol caliber rifles are starting to become more popular.

Honestly, this has never happened to me in Walmart. Most times, they are always friendly and get the ammo and never ask. However, they always ask for ID and I appreciate that part. Regardless of how often I come in to buy and even if it's from the same guy/girl that remembers me, they always ask.

Some walmarts won't open the glass case after 10:30 pm.

Yep. I am under the impression that this is a WalMart policy and the registers won't even allow the ammo to be rung up after 10:30. I was on midnight shift when Osama got elected and all the ammo dried up. There were a few times I stopped by Wally World on duty and saw that they actually had a few boxes of something I wanted on the shelf. Wouldn't / couldn't sell it to me. Standing there in the dang PD uniform, pistol and spare mags on belt, but couldn't buy any ammo. :wacko:

Guess they believe in the old adage that nothing good ever happens after 10pm.

taurus makes a revolver that shoots it

Heritage used to make a revolver that shoots it. I don't think they make any in that chambering, anymore, but I am sure there are still some out there.

As for the handgun or rifle question, sometimes I get asked and sometimes I don't. I think the register probably does prompt them to ask but, as someone else said, I think that some see that I am obviously over 21 and just hit the key to continue the sale.

Edited by JAB

Yep. I am under the impression that this is a WalMart policy and the registers won't even allow the ammo to be rung up after 10:30. I was on midnight shift when Osama got elected and all the ammo dried up. There were a few times I stopped by Wally World on duty and saw that they actually had a few boxes of something I wanted on the shelf. Wouldn't / couldn't sell it to me. Standing there in the dang PD uniform, pistol and spare mags on belt, but couldn't buy any ammo. :wacko:

Guess they believe in the old adage that nothing good ever happens after 10pm.

I have bought ammo at some Walmart locations after 10:30 on more than one occasion. I have had folks tell me that they have tried to buy it after 10 or 10:30 at other locations and were told that they couldn't sell ammo that late. Either some of the employees are full of BS or the policy varies from store to store. Honestly - as it seems there is not usually an employee specifically assigned to Sporting Goods during later hours - I have to wonder if in at least some of these 'can't sell ammo after 10' incidents the truth is that the employee just doesn't want to come out and say, "I'm too damned lazy to go and find someone with a key."

Edited by JAB
  • 2 weeks later...

They ask here because you have to be 18 to buy shot shells and rifle specific ammo. 21 to buy pistol ammo and ammo for both rifle and pistol (30 carbine, .45 long colt, .357, .44 ect., ect..)

Edited by wd-40

. So How is Our Friend Noah? :tough:

Crazy as ever. Freaks out every time it rains.

They ask here because you have to be 18 to buy shot shells and rifle specific ammo. 21 to buy pistol ammo and ammo for both rifle and pistol (30 carbine, .45 long colt, .357, .44 ect., ect..)

Well, "here" is nationwide, as it's a federal law to which they're complying, not state.

- OS