Which gun to carry on my hike?

I bought a thigh rig just for this purpose. I've sometimes tied a jacket or a long sleeve shirt around my waist in really crowded parking lots etc.. but once we're on the trail and no one's around I take it off. I can't remember the maker of the holster right now but I got a really good deal on it used. It was made in NC, it's kydex, and has an adapter plate to make it belt holster. As a thigh rig, it rides higher than most and I've actually found it to be comfortable for hikes up to 7-8 miles.

I've considered a thigh rig, but was afraid there'd be a stampede of tree huggers before I made it out of the parking lot.

I thought it would be at first but the kydex paddle contours perfectly to my ribs and I could barely tell it was there. It's almost as if it was made to fit that part of my pack.

Kydex paddle holster... hmmmm. Got any details?

A few years ago got a SafePacker thinking it might be good for hikes, but haven't hiked with it. I got the "Government" size that fits most full-size pistols, including my Beretta 92, 1911 and many others including my S&W 586 .357 Mag. Any of my full size pistols will fit the thing. Lately been keeping a G17 in it, slung under the bed mattress as a nighttime gun.

The thing would be easy to attach lots of places and is heavy padded and wouldn't be real slow to draw. That safepacker is freaking huge but on the other hand it is so well padded and good retention that you could fall down a ravine and the pistol would be in better shape than you are. That is the main reason I've not yet used it much, because it is lots bigger than I imagined in pictures.

Anybody hiked with that one?

http://www.thewilder...parent=171&pg=1

... and then Lester reminds me why I'd thought about getting one of those. They just seem awfully expensive for what they are. I think I remember seeing a knock-off at a much lower price, but can't find it at the moment.

I've considered a thigh rig, but was afraid there'd be a stampede of tree huggers before I made it out of the parking lot.

... and then Lester reminds me why I'd thought about getting one of those. They just seem awfully expensive for what they are. I think I remember seeing a knock-off at a much lower price, but can't find it at the moment.

A few times, I've tied a lightweight rain jacket around my waist in the parking lot, only to remove it once I'm on the trail. Please post it if you find a cheaper SafePacker. I considered one, but didn't want to spend that much on something I probably wouldn't use often. I have spent a lot on holsters in the last few years. I like to carry wherever legal, so it helps to have lots of options.

Edited by JReedEsq

My first, and last, choice for any outdoor activity would be a revolver. I'm comfortable with them and they're mechanically simpler than a semi-auto - fewer things that can go wrong. For a hike I'd carry a 4" .357 with heavy, hard-cast lead projectiles, concealed but very close-at-hand. YMMV.

Guest cardcutter

I don't hike much (bad knees) but when I do venture forth into the mountains, I always carry my 357. I carry it in a simple belt holster and I have not yet had a problem with people I have encountered.

BTW a wounded Bear, even a smaller Black Bear. becomes an instant killing machine. If you thought he was aggressive before you ain't seen nothing yet. Never fire on one unless you absolutely have to and then make sure you finish the job. Even if you get away from him he will attack every thing he meets after that.

Guest adurbin
Easy to carry goes to the 9mm. You're more likely to need self defense against the two-legged animal, not the bear. Best to be prepared against a multiple attackers than the less frequent bear. Leave he 454 for hunting. Carry the 17 rounds of 9mm and an extra magazine. Have a comfy holster and enjoy your trip.

I agree with the two legged animal. Especially in the smokies. I hate hiking in the smokies. It's always elbow to elbow moronic sheeple minions.

Agree with the wounded Bear scenario! Even with a Big-Bore Revolver at hand, a face-to-face shot would most likely escalate the danger.

I was in a Tent off the Foothills Parkway back in late Fall of '05. Just me, my Bike, and that .41 Tracker. Sometime around 1:00AM I hear something sniffing on the otherside of that sheer Tent Canvas. Could NOT determine what it was. No shadow. No indication of the size animal. Gun in hand, I just sat there with the thought; IF it's a Bear and he tries to inspect the inside of my tent, the first round is going to be just over his head in a effort to discourage his advancement. Bottomline; sniffing stopped but I never heard it leave. I did hear some commotion at the locked metal dumpster multiple yards away. Probably a Coon but I couldn't find any tracks near the Tent.

I agree with the Bear Spray suggestion. I'll pick some up IF I ever camp again.

Edited by HvBikeWlTravel
Guest Lester Weevils

Ain't disputing that perhaps a bullet or two would just make a bear mad. Am ignorant.

So do bears exhibit a "typical response" when hit with bear spray? Do they turn tail and run away squalling? Just wondering. If a bullet makes em mad, and supposedly bears raid honey and the swarming bees don't bother em much-- Why doesn't pepper spray pee off a bear worse than a bullet? Or is the intent to confuse the bear's sight and smell so that hopefully he can't track you as good while you are running away?

Just curious.

Edited by Lester Weevils

... Please post it if you find a cheaper SafePacker. ...

Options I've found:

http://www.falcohols...ter-it-526.html

http://www.511tactic...stol-Pouch.html

http://www.blackhawk...ster,781,34.htm

http://www.uncle-mik..._pak_pouch.html

Generally, reviews indicate they're all a bit smaller than advertised. If it says... "fits medium frame autos" ... that means you might be able to squeeze one in there, but good luck getting it out in a hurry.

Ain't disputing that perhaps a bullet or two would just make a bear mad. Am ignorant.

So do bears exhibit a "typical response" when hit with bear spray? Do they turn tail and run away squalling? Just wondering. If a bullet makes em mad, and supposedly bears raid honey and the swarming bees don't bother em much-- Why doesn't pepper spray pee off a bear worse than a bullet? Or is the intent to confuse the bear's sight and smell so that hopefully he can't track you as good while you are running away?

Just curious.

My assumption is that bear spray distracts the animal long enough for you to get away. Is it going to writhe around on the ground moaning and wailing? I doubt it.

Edited by peejman

Really? Have YOU ever dealt with a wounded animal?

I do see your point and I carry a .357 in the woods. I have dealt with wounded animals.... mostly squirrels and a few deer. A wounded squirrel can be vicious. I have never had to deal with a wounded black bear. I do know what 16 rounds of good 9mm ammo can do and I would feel OK carrying my Glock 19 as a side arm in black bear country. I have been hiking before and I would carry my 9mm before I would haul around a anvil or a 454 casul.

Since this thread has digressed slightly...

I just bought a 10mm G20 as my new woods (work, forester) gun. I usually carry in a drop leg holster and wanted something powerful and higher capacity than the 1911 I have been carrying. Plus I don't hike on trails at work so my gun sees a lot of abuse, and I didn't want my high priced 1911 to see too much unneeded abuse

I think 10mm glock is a good blending off both worlds.

Since this thread has digressed slightly...

I just bought a 10mm G20 as my new woods (work, forester) gun. I usually carry in a drop leg holster and wanted something powerful and higher capacity than the 1911 I have been carrying. Plus I don't hike on trails at work so my gun sees a lot of abuse, and I didn't want my high priced 1911 to see too much unneeded abuse

I think 10mm glock is a good blending off both worlds.

Well i take mine off doing tree work. About the only time i dont carry.

Guest Lester Weevils

My assumption is that bear spray distracts the animal long enough for you to get away. Is it going to writhe around on the ground moaning and wailing? I doubt it.

Thanks peejman. I don't doubt that spray is somewhat effective, especially the big expensive cans of the stuff made special for bears. Was just curious what one might expect out of it. The postman sized pepper spray works great on dogs as long as you startle them before they are in a full killing rage. Never tried spray on a dog already in a killing rage, or "on the edge" of pitching a fit. Have wondered if spray would do much to discourage a really peed dog. From what I've seen, at least some species of dog apparently don't feel pain after they enter that state.

Options I've found:

http://www.falcohols...ter-it-526.html

http://www.511tactic...stol-Pouch.html

http://www.blackhawk...ster,781,34.htm

http://www.uncle-mik..._pak_pouch.html

Generally, reviews indicate they're all a bit smaller than advertised. If it says... "fits medium frame autos" ... that means you might be able to squeeze one in there, but good luck getting it out in a hurry.

For small to medium pistols, Desantis makes what I consider very good-quality gun pouches. This page lists the styles that look best to me--

http://www.desantish...KS--GUN-CADDIES

NAA used to "give away" the Desantis Easy Rider with their .380 tiny pistols. It is a super-well-made and practical belt pouch for that size pocket gun. I eventually bought a backup-replacement after more than ten years, but the original one wasn't worn out. It had just got kinda "saggy" and stained looking. It looks like a cellphone case, has fabulous retention, pretty quick to draw. Doesn't look like a fanny pack or murse. Looks like a cellphone case. It is "exactly the right size and no bigger" to hold many of the pocket guns.

They sell an Easy Rider II that is big enough for a G26 or Kahr P9. Haven't bought one of those because the P9 fits in my pocket so well (for a 3.6" barrel pistol). But been tempted on several occasions.

The equivalent small Safe Packers for that size of pocket or compact gun have a bigger profile, but would be well-made if my full-size model is any clue. My "government size" Safe Packer will tote my 4" .357 revolver or all my full-size semi-autos. Well made and heavily padded. You would have to go thru some unusual abuse to lose retention on a pistol in a safe packer. You would probably be injured pretty bad in a fall before the gun in a safepacker got dinged up much. But the "full size" model is just so big. It would probably fit in fine for back packing, but the full size model looks pretty conspicuous for toting to walmart. It looks like maybe you are toting around a pouch for an emergency oxygen pack or something. If Desantis would make a flat-thin case that size, along the lines of the EZ Rider or EZ Rider II, it would be big, but it wouldn't be huge.

Edited by Lester Weevils
Guest 270win

Carry something light weight. I've never run into a black bear where there are bears. Not that you can't have problems with them, but usually they are afraid of people and smarter than deer. Get some snake shot. The snakes are coming out now that it is warm.

Edited by 270win

Just curious.

There's no ONE scenario, ipso facto, no one weapon to use in every situation. IF I have a little room to run AND I can spray a Bear in the face I think I'll try the Bear Spray. Kinda depends on the size of the bear as well. And what I perceive as his intentions. AND IF I'm holding a .414 SuperMag. And on and on and on!

Bear spray is a must. From all I've read, Bear Spray is the most effective way to stop a bear attack. I've done a lot of hiking in the Smokey's and other areas as well where bears are common, and I have never had any kind of encounter. But I always carry bear spray for the critters and a Ruger LCP or XD40 for the two legged problems. Never had a reason to use either but I'm ready if the need arises.

Here is a video on the effectiveness of bear spray:

Guest bkelm18

Bear spray is a must. From all I've read, Bear Spray is the most effective way to stop a bear attack. I've done a lot of hiking in the Smokey's and other areas as well where bears are common, and I have never had any kind of encounter. But I always carry bear spray for the critters and a Ruger LCP or XD40 for the two legged problems. Never had a reason to use either but I'm ready if the need arises.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TA_DXeWTOG8

Bear Spray is statistically proven at preventing bear attacks. Much more than guns. Big time. Leave the hand cannons at home. Carry a handgun for the humans, not the animals.

So I finished my hike this morning. I carried my 9mm open on my pack which was definitely the right choice. Surprisingly enough, I did see a bear early this morning. He was about 1.5 miles north of campsite 30 on the little river trail. I must have woke him because as I was walking I heard a loud crash in the brush on my right about 20 yards and then saw him running across the trail behind me about the same distance. He looked to be about 200lbs but that could have been the adrenaline making things look bigger. However large, he was moving so fast that I knew it wasn't an animal I wanted to deal with 6 miles from any civilization. I don't remember drawing it but when I looked down my gun was in my hand in the low ready position. Needless to say I was on edge the rest of the hike. It was the first time I've seen a bear outside of Cade's Cove.

So I finished my hike this morning. I carried my 9mm open on my pack which was definitely the right choice. Surprisingly enough, I did see a bear early this morning. He was about 1.5 miles north of campsite 30 on the little river trail. I must have woke him because as I was walking I heard a loud crash in the brush on my right about 20 yards and then saw him running across the trail behind me about the same distance. He looked to be about 200lbs but that could have been the adrenaline making things look bigger. However large, he was moving so fast that I knew it wasn't an animal I wanted to deal with 6 miles from any civilization. I don't remember drawing it but when I looked down my gun was in my hand in the low ready position. Needless to say I was on edge the rest of the hike. It was the first time I've seen a bear outside of Cade's Cove.

Wow! Sounds like a very memorable Hike.