Looking for Pocket Guns

After looking at several small pocket pistols, I ended up with a S&W 442. In a pocket holster, it fits well in a pair of jeans. The current .380 pistols seem to be more reliable than the one I had, but I've never had a revolver fail to fire.

thats a lot of choices... care to narrow it any --- what matters most to you (size, action type, capacity, price, etc?) ? Revolvers in or out? Derringers in or out?

Knowing nothing at all about what you have, want, or like, the sig 238 is my default recommendation. Its tiny, its powerful for its size, its reliable, accurate, low recoil, and one of the few with a nice trigger pull.

If you choose to go with a pistol in the caliber's indicated then I suggest a Taurus PLY 22, Keltec P32 or a Ruger LCP. Should you instead choose to go with a revolver then I suggest the NAA 22, Ruger LCR 22, Ruger LCR 38 Special or the S&W 442. S&W does offer a J Frame revolver in the 32 H&R Magnum or 327 Federal but I can't recall the model number's. The only other recommendation I have is something graycrait has discussed here, with a pocket sized pistol/revolver ensure that it is one you can shoot well enough to keep all round's centered with one hand at very close range. I practice at 7, 5 and 3 yard distance's with my LCP but can do required qualifacation's with it at greater distance's. I've not encountered any other trained shooter who couldn't do the same.

• Like 1

P238 is the only gun i have ever carried in my pocket successfully. I tried the j-frame and pf9 with no luck. The Sig fits well and doesn't weigh too much. I'm not a huge fan of .380 but its better than nothing when you can't conceal a compact weapon.....

• Like 1

if you are OK with the heavy trigger stuff, the beretta nano is no bigger than most of these and in 9mm. It pulls about like a kel tec, 6 or 7 pounds over a huge distance. Otherwise a great little gun and very lefty friendly.

Guest jkintn

S&W Bodyguard 380. First pistol I've pocket carried so no comparison. Pretty heavy trigger and has the option of a safety if that is of interest to you. I carry it in a Galco pocket holster.

i really think u would really like the sig 238 i went through almost every polimer pocket gun on the market,yeah alot of money and ammo. got the sig and am very happy use a desantis nemisis pocket holster. it actually shoots like a much larger gun,pricey but worth every penny.

• Like 1

You can't go wrong with a good revolver. I really like the new crop of lightweight revolvers from Ruger, S&W and Taurus in .38. I have an old .38 Colt Agent, which weights in at 16oz and is quite comfortable being carried in the pocket of my khaki pants or a coat.

Edited by Moped
  • 2 weeks later...

I've carried pocket guns for quite a few years now. Everything from J-frames, Kahrs, NAA, you name it. My go to pocket carry guns in De Santis pocket holsters a Keltec .32 with ball ammo and Diamondback DB9 with SV Critical Defense. I've gone back and forth with the DB9, almost getting rid of it a couple of times, but it is a potent little thing at 11.7oz and so thin. As long as I can shoot it fast one handed weak hand I'll keep it. Right now I am kind of ambivelent concerning my LCR with Novak red fiber optic front sight and my S&W 640.

You can see the size difference for yourself below but the weights loaded make a huge difference for pocket carry. DPB9 9mm (6+1): 15.7oz; KT32 .32acp (6+1) 10.4oz; LCR .38SP (5 rds): 15.8; S&W 640 .357 (5rds) 25.3oz. Hardly a pocket pistol but just for comparison a Glock 26 with 11rds of 9mm weighs 26.5oz.

Pocketgunsprofile.jpg

Pocketgunsback.jpg

I agree with some of the others recommendations for the P238, CM9 and LCP. I'd go with the Beretta 21A Bobcat for a small .22 LR choice, just use quality HV ammo in it. A pricey choice that is designed for specific ammo is the Seecamp LWS-32, or the really pricey LWS-380. The Seecamps are made of very high quality materials and beautiful craftsmanship.

There are really small mouse guns available in .25 acp, but most are older pistols, such as Bauer, PSA, the original Baby Browning, the Colt Junior and the old vest pocket pistols. Finally, there are the lower priced, and arguably lower quality pistols made by Jimenez, Cobra and Phoenix (these can be fun and reliable pistols with the right perspective). Good luck with your search.

Just wanted to update everyone I am still looking and wanting to buy others, but I did pick up a Phoenix arms HP25A about a 2 weeks ago now and I know it was cheep but I have put 150 rounds through the gun not on problem. It is a lot heavier than my Kel-tec P32 but not so that it bothers me. As a matter of fact I have a friend that shot it and turnd around and found one and bought it. So if anyone has any thing out there they are wanting to get rid of let me know. I am alos looking for a Hi-Point 9mm, No I am not getting rid of my Glock 26 I am not stupid lol. I just have something I want to do with a Hi-point. Thanks all TN gun owners Rock.