Who Else is More Accurate with Their 1911s Than Their Other Pistols?

Guest Bassman17SC

Guest Bassman17SC

As many of you may know, I recently purchased an Ed Brown 1911. It is an extremely accurate pistol.

But here is the deal - I am more accurate shooting the 1911 platform than other platforms. I just don't get it. Even when I had the Sig 1911, I shot better with that pistol than my P226 (and now my P220).

For example, here is the target from my range session yesterday for the EB. The bullet holes represent a combination of precision shooting and my point shooting exercises (in which I hold my pistol at the "low-ready position," keep my focus on the target - instead of the sights - and pull the trigger when the hammer blocks the target. Single and double taps.). I alternate my range time about 50/50 between precision shooting and point shooting. Here is the target...please note that I was precision shooting for the small target in the lower right.

photo-16.jpg

Contrast the above with this target after the same amount of ammo from my P220...

photo-2.jpg

Good grief! Stuff flying everywhere!

So, is it just me? I've had the P220 for a couple of months longer than the EB. Is it the design? The barrel length? The trigger?

Anyone else experience this issue?

probably the trigger pull. The design isnt it .... some people can shoot such guns and keep them all in the red. It isnt the barrel --- anything over 3 inches is pretty accurate for quite a distance.

I struggle with heavy trigger guns too. I don't have to have a 1911; my ruger mark or SA revolvers (or shot in SA) etc all do well. Sloppy stuff like my beretta 92 ... fine a gun as it is .... much harder to keep in the 10 ring at any real distance.

Same here. I've had a lot of rounds downrange from G17, G19, P226, 92/96; I'm always more accurate with a 1911 and usually quicker getting the first round downrange... This is with a pro timer. I'm pretty close with a Glock on time though.

I attribute it to trigger pull. My trigger pull sucks on DA pistols, especially going between DA and SA. Its inconsistent and messes with my muscle memory. Trigger pull on a 1911 is the same every pull and very light. It's the biggest reason why I like Glocks, and so long as you take the slack out of the trigger as you're presenting you can be as quick and accurate with a Glock as a 1911.

Edited by TMF 18B
  • Like 1

It really should not matter if you are following the proper steps of shooting. Suprisingly I am very accurate with the SW Sigma series, they do have one of the crappiest triggers out there. But I think because of the heavy trigger I am paying more attention to the trigger pull. 1911s make rapid fire for me a bit more easier becaue of the shorter reset. All guns can shoot better than the people shooting them, so we can't really blame the guns :)

• Like 1

Well I would agree that all pistols have the ability to be accurate, but some are easier than others..... kinda like cheating.

One of the fundamentals of pistol marksmanship is trigger pull. If that step is made easier by design then the user should be more accurate; in theory. I used to be forced to use a 92. I was very accurate with it when I was fresh. If I had a long break from the range (like a month or two) my muscle memory suffered. When I'd make it to the range it would take me a couple of warm up mags to get back in the groove. I went a year without shooting my 1911; no warm up required. Point is I require less practice than with DA/SA pistols. Trigger pull is one of the biggest factors that affect shooter accuracy, and it's also one of the fundamentals most ignored.

Guest 6.8 AR

I thought I would be better with my 1911's, to the point that, after finding out I wasn't, I was bound and determined

to make it that way. Better triggers ignition parts. Haven't done the sight thing, yet. I just concluded I was better

with a Glock 21 or 30 and let it be. The one with the worst trigger and I can shoot it the best. I wish I knew why.

I thought I would be better with my 1911's, to the point that, after finding out I wasn't, I was bound and determined

to make it that way. Better triggers ignition parts. Haven't done the sight thing, yet. I just concluded I was better

with a Glock 21 or 30 and let it be. The one with the worst trigger and I can shoot it the best. I wish I knew why.

I think it is Glock thing, they are wierd like that :P I've see lots of people shoot either really good or really bad when it comes to Glocks. For example, I just can't keep my groups as tight with Glocks, and seen some people who can't shoot tight groups unlless they are shooting Glocks.

Guest 6.8 AR

I think it is Glock thing, they are wierd like that :P I've see lots of people shoot either really good or really bad when it comes to Glocks. For example, I just can't keep my groups as tight with Glocks, and seen some people who can't shoot tight groups unlless they are shooting Glocks.

You're probably right. And I do love my 1911's, but I have to admit I love to tinker with my 1911's more than shoot them.

I'm really more of a tinkerer than a shooter, anyway.

It is a mindset.

Im the reverse I can out shoot any 1911 with my P220 When both are shot by me.

Strap 2 guns that you think one is more accurate to a table and take human equation out it and you maybe shocked.

Right off hand, I can't think of any other auto with a better trigger than a 1911*. A properly tuned 1911 trigger is a thing of beauty, and even the run of the mill GI triggers I have aren't bad.

*excepting a browning pistol I have, built for olympic competition that you have to try to believe. Don't think that should count.

I’m more accurate with my 1911’s than my Tupperware guns. And I’m more accurate with my revolvers than my 1911’s.

Your 1911 is probably returning to the same sight/barrel position better than your Tupperware guns. I shoot a revolver more accurately than either; the sights don’t move from the barrel.

It could also be trigger pull. I shot in revolver competitions and went through three 6†Colt Pythons. Out of frustration at one match I pulled out my 4†Smith & Wesson duty gun and outshot the Python. I really wanted to keep the Python. Was the S&W a better gun? In my hands it was. I just couldn’t get use to the longer trigger pull of the Python.

I didn’t have enough money back then to keep those Pythons and my Smiths. They would sure be worth a bunch today.

Edited by DaveTN

I am faster and more accurate with my 1911, than I am with my personal G23, and work pistols (M9 and G19).

I shoot the G23 at least once every 2 months, shooting at least 200 rounds a session, and dry fire daily with it as it is my CC gun.

I shoot no less than 1000 rounds a month with the work guns, primarily with the M9.

I have shot the 1911 approximately 5 times in 5 years totalling maybe 1000 rounds during that time. No matter what, I can pick it up and consistently shoot faster and more accurately during drills (excluding reload times) with it than I can with any other pistol. I attribute this to trigger pull, and the longer sight axis which makes it more forgiving with minor mistakes.

Next in line for me in the speed and accuracy department is the M9, followed by the G23 then the G19.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Of every gun I have owned I was most accurate and fastest with my Glock 26 with KKM barrel and my Springfield GI 1911 which was upgraded by Wilson Combat.

Least accurate Sig P220 and HK USP

Edited by k9wh91984

I also agree that a good trigger is the primary reason I am more accurate with a 1911 than most other platforms. However, I had a modified G34 with a Vanek grandmaster trigger and I was every bit as accurate with it, at 10 yards or less, as I was with any of my 1911s. It had a 2lb trigger pull. Just to note, I am just as accurate with my Sig X5 L1, but it is also a single action trigger with around a 3 lb. pull.

The gun I am most accurate with, outside of 22s, is my NHC 2011 in 9mm. Great trigger pull and 9mm = great accuracy.

I know and have the targets to prove that I am more accurate with any of my 1911s than I am with any of my Glocks....something I'm working on since I switched to a G31 (or a G20) doe my carry weapon. I'm not worried about whether I'll hit a target or not with any of them but my accuracy is noticeably better with my 1911s :)

As was noted above, I'm sure it's a combination of the trigger pull as well as my less than perfect trigger handling!

Until I shot my new CZ-75 SP-01 I thought that nothing could beat my Colt 1911. If my CZ-75 had a trigger job it would be more accurate than my 1911 but as is stands it's very close.

Edited by Will Carry

Until I shot my new CZ-75 SP-01 I thought that nothing could beat my Colt 1911. If my CZ-75 had a trigger job it would be more accurate than my 1911 but as is stands it's very close.

my CZ is at CZ customs as we speak getting the trigger job you talk about LOL.......and some sights

My take on gun accuracy is simple........full rails and metal always shoots best...CZs got em,1911s got em

early S&Ws got em,revolvers no brainer......

Edited by SonnyCrockett

Sonny I am going to send mine off for a trigger job too. I have heard the the trigger will break in after a while, but I have also heard they do a fantastic trigger job as CZ. Post when you get it back and shoot it. I gots to know!

Sonny I am going to send mine off for a trigger job too. I have heard the the trigger will break in after a while, but I have also heard they do a fantastic trigger job as CZ. Post when you get it back and shoot it. I gots to know!

I call BS on the It will break in after a while line......I have 300 through mine and its got more creap than my mother inlaw