Ticks

Guest Brent1973

Guest Brent1973

Since i'm new to hunting and at this time only deer hunt, looking into next season, what do ya'll deer hunters do about ticks in bow season (mid sept.)

The ticks are awful this year. I went out pond fishing this weekend and found six crawling on me. I use off, or anything with DEET as a repellent. When I get home I undress on the back porch, then put my clothes directly in the washing machine, then shower and then do a visual search of my body. Lyme disease is forever. Those little "seed ticks" can ruin your life.

http://www.sportsmans-necessities.com/TickSpray.html This link is for a tick poison that you can spray on your clothing that will kill the little devils. I have not used it yet but I understand if use correctly it is safe and effective.

http://www.sportsman.../TickSpray.html This link is for a tick poison that you can spray on your clothing that will kill the little devils. I have not used it yet but I understand if use correctly it is safe and effective.

This stuff you linked to is Permethrin. There are a lot of companies that sell Permethrin. This stuff is great but do not spray it on your skin. It is made to treat your clothes. Every turkey season and bow season I spray down my clothes with this stuff. One application is supposed to last through several washings. I hunted Saturday and Sunday and did not get one tick or chigger.

This stuff you linked to is Permethrin. There are a lot of companies that sell Permethrin. This stuff is great but do not spray it on your skin. It is made to treat your clothes. Every turkey season and bow season I spray down my clothes with this stuff. One application is supposed to last through several washings. I hunted Saturday and Sunday and did not get one tick or chigger.

Permethrin is the stuff you need. Then apply OFF to your skin. I cannot say it enough. DO NOT SPRAY PERMETHRIN ON YOUR SKIN!!! I know guys that apply it to clothes while they are wearing them, and I strongly recommend not doing that either. This stuff is carcinogenic.

Remember permethrin won't kill the ticks it just repels them, so I would suggest Deep Woods OFF 40% Deet applied to the skin. They make higher percentages of Deet but it's been proven that over 40% you see diminishing returns and higher health risks.

As a side note be aware of diseases ticks transmit. Lyme, Rocky Mtn Spotted Fever, amoung others. If your not aware of the warning signs. Google it, it could mean the difference between proper diagnosis and death!

when i was a teenager, my granny would soak an old rag in kerosene and tie around my grandpa's ankles when he'd go out to cut wood. I tried it when I hauled hay to keep chiggers off. It works, but it irritates your skin pretty bad too.

last year I found a tick on my........ .... ya, not cool. Not cool at all.

I can't count how many times I've found them there. They will head towards your armpits, waistline, and gonads. I've found ticks 2 days after being in the woods. It pays to check thoroughly.

Couldn't agree more. Permethrin is what we used at Boy Scout Summer Camp at Boxwell. Never had a problem with ticks and they were always bad at Boxwell.

I think half of the ticks in the state reside at Boxwell. I was always told it was because of all of the cedar trees, which aren't really cedar, but juniper. Lots of good memories there though, spent a lot of summers there.

• Like 1

I think half of the ticks in the state reside at Boxwell. I was always told it was because of all of the cedar trees, which aren't really cedar, but juniper. Lots of good memories there though, spent a lot of summers there.

I remember many years ago going to Boxwell with the Boy Scouts. I believe I had all the ticks there on my hiney.....are you sure there's any left???

I have never had much of a problem with ticks for some reason. I could probably count on two hands how many I have pulled off of me. There have been days that I've spent all day in the hay field and not get a one while my buddies would have several. I also have never gotten poison ivy. I guess it a pretty fair trade off for having asthma and terrible seasonal allergies, but fewer ticks and no problems with ivy.

As for the question, my grandmother keeps a little sulfur in her shoes for ticks and chiggars. It seems to work well for her.

As mentioned earlier, as important as prevention is checking yourself after an outing. The occurance of tick disease resulting from a bite is almost zero if the tick is removed in less than 24 hrs. This is probably the single most important step to prevent tick borne diseases. Also, if you do find a tick that has been missed, you may want to consider seeing your doctor. Some doctors will administer prophylaxis antibiotics for tick bites. This can prevent a full infection. I know it sucks going to the doctor, but it sucks worse to have Lyme dz, Ehrlichiosis, or RMSF.

I make my own clothing treatment, but it is similar to Sawyer's Permethrin treatment, which can be found at Wal-Mart and Dick's and other outdoor supply stores.

I order mine online and mix it up, it's a little cheaper, but if your aren't comfortable with that stuff then stick to the commercially available treatments.

I dip my clothes and hang them to dry. I keep spray bottles of the mix to reapply to my clothes after each time I wear or wash them. There is a lot of information on the web, but not all of it is good or safe.

I will make up a post for homemade permethrin with my recipe.

I've had 3 ticks attached to me this year alone. And had 4 others I've found crawling on me.

I've since sprayed my shoes with deet spray and it seems to have worked for about 3 weeks.

Just today I found another on crawling on me.

I mow and trim about 6 acres and it is right next to woods and a creek.

The property next to it is open field with brush.

I hate this time of year....the little boogers are relentless at making me their meal.

This year has been worse than any other I can think of.....so I guess I'll just soak my shoes in deet every week and hope for the best.

P.S.....all the tick on me were the seed ticks and 1 was the lone star tick. Both of which carries lymes disease.

My Grandfather had/has Lymes disease and he said it was BAD.....made him very sick and messed up his eye sight to some degree or another.

All I know is he said, "you don't want any of that"

Edited by TnShooter83