It's the GUN !!!

SIMMONS: Bill Cosby weighs in on Trayvon Martin case

By Deborah Simmons

-

The Washington Times

1:27 p.m., Saturday, April 7, 2012

20090620-171243-pic-99230700_s100x148.jpg?d23753ab8cde7492c50b7e8c5ad46679641c850f Bill Cosby

ANALYSIS/OPINION:

“The gun.â€

Those two simple words flowed easily from the mouth of social commentator Bill Cosby during an exclusive interview Friday regarding the Trayvon Martin case, arguably the most high-profile, citizen-on-citizen U.S. slaying facing the Obama administration.

Trayvon was killed Feb. 26 in Sanford, Fla., by neighborhood watchman George Zimmerman, who told police that a “confrontation†with the unarmed 17-year-old led him to shoot in self-defense.

Mr. Cosby, a Navy veteran, said “the gun†empowered Mr. Zimmerman, whose actions have stirred a firestorm of debate, protests and remarks from President Obama.

simmons_horiz_s220x137.jpg?98dbf8e65919da1250dcad7347ba03ea87cc10a6

“We’ve got to get the gun out of the hands of people who are supposed to be on neighborhood watch,†said Mr. Cosby, whose remarks were the first he has made publicly about the case.

“Without a gun, I don’t see Mr. Zimmerman approaching Trayvon by himself,†Mr. Cosby explained. “The power-of-the-gun mentality had him unafraid to confront someone. Even police call for backup in similar situations.

“When you carry a gun, you mean to harm somebody, kill somebody,†he said.

An award-winning actor and great American humorist, Mr. Cosby, 74, is best know for the ground-breaking NBC sit-com “The Cosby Show,†stand-up routines and recorded performances, all of which are infused with familial humor.

Scheduled to perform April 28 at the Kennedy Center, Mr. Cosby continues to grace multiple platforms, and is scheduled to tickle funny bones as co-emcee at the April 12 gala celebrating the reopening of the historic Howard Theatre in Northwest Washington.

But it was at another celebration, the NAACP marking of the 50th anniversary of the landmark 1954 Brown v. Board of Education school-desegregation decision by the U.S. Supreme Court, that saw Mr. Cosby take a spot on the forefront of controversial social commentary.

In his remarks at the 2004 event, Mr. Cosby pointed out to the audience that blacks had essentially created a new lower rung on the socioeconomic ladder by failing to police their children. Since then, he has traveled the nation and used social media to expound the virtues of personal accountability, responsible parenting and a sound education.

• Deborah Simmons can be reached at dsimmons@washingtontimes.com.

Edited by JG55

This is no departure for Mr. Cosby. He has long been a proponent of gun control. I have a lot of respect for Mr. Cosby. He has done great things for the black community in encouraging education, responsibility, self-discipline, and ethical behaviour. I regret that he is wrong on this issue.

Just another rich spoon-fed celebrity who has every need in life catered to by a servant. He has no idea how the real working folks live from day to day, no grasp on reality beyond Hollywood. Just because he's a famous actor doesn't give him any extra insight on life and reality, probably less.

Edited by K191145
  • Like 1
Guest bkelm18

Just another rich spoon-fed celebrity who has every need in life catered to by a servant. He has no idea how the real working folks live from day to day, no grasp on reality beyond Hollywood. Just because he's a famous actor doesn't give him any extra insight on life and reality, probably less.

:rolleyes: Son of a working class family, father was a WWII vet, a Navy Corpsman himself, college educated, an outspoken proponent of personal responsibility and education in the black community... Yeah, he has no grasp on reality whatsoever.

Edited by bkelm18
Guest mikedwood

"The power-of-the-gun mentality had him unafraid to confront someone. Even police call for backup in similar situations."

Police would call for backup in a similar situation, but the watchman shouldn't have a firearm because well armed police need backup?

This is no departure for Mr. Cosby. He has long been a proponent of gun control. I have a lot of respect for Mr. Cosby. He has done great things for the black community in encouraging education, responsibility, self-discipline, and ethical behaviour. I regret that he is wrong on this issue.

He is opinionated on the issue, but it pales in comparison to his other platforms, particularly considering his son Ennis. I beleive Mr. Cosby is reported to have a carry permit obtained after his son's death..

Edited by R_Bert

Do you even know who you are talking about?

• Like 2
Guest RCLARK

There is a element of truth to what Cosby said, although I do not totally agree with him. Sadly, having a gun VERY OFTEN emboldens people to put themselves in situations they would not otherwise put themselves in. I know a lot of guys who have a "I am ready for trouble.....bring it on" mentality....and they are HCP holders. I personally have a much more humble attitude towards those situations BECAUSE I carry a gun. I would hope most do. I am on the "Innocent until proven guilty" side of the Zimmerman/Martin case, but I have wondered myself if he would have chosen different actions leading up to the shooting had he not had a gun with him.

There is a element of truth to what Cosby said, although I do not totally agree with him. Sadly, having a gun VERY OFTEN emboldens people to put themselves in situations they would not otherwise put themselves in. I know a lot of guys who have a "I am ready for trouble.....bring it on" mentality....and they are HCP holders. I personally have a much more humble attitude towards those situations BECAUSE I carry a gun. I would hope most do. I am on the "Innocent until proven guilty" side of the Zimmerman/Martin case, but I have wondered myself if he would have chosen different actions leading up to the shooting had he not had a gun with him.

+1 for what RCLARK said, I couldn't agree more...

----

Schweizerische Industrie Gesellschaft (SIG) P6 /// Ruger Target 10/22

Guest 6.8 AR

I think Bill Cosby is wrong on the particular issue, but I wouldn't dare criticize his background. He, puts up, where

others just talk. And he does give a damn about the whole community, not just a few. He is a good man.

+1 From My Karate Days the purpose of learning self defense was to be mentally as well as physically tough enough to be able to walk away from a fight. Nothing to prove..... I think same holds true with carrying a handgun, the purpose (for me) is to be able to walk away from bad situation but be able to defend myself if there are no other options.

I have to wonder if Zimmerman would of followed Martin if he hadn't had that secure feeling of being armed that the police were on their way. . I bet ya right now he wishes he had been somewhere else that night...

Sadly, having a gun VERY OFTEN emboldens people to put themselves in situations they would not otherwise put themselves in. I know a lot of guys who have a "I am ready for trouble.....bring it on" mentality....and they are HCP holders. I personally have a much more humble attitude towards those situations BECAUSE I carry a gun. I would hope most do. I am on the "Innocent until proven guilty" side of the Zimmerman/Martin case, but I have wondered myself if he would have chosen different actions leading up to the shooting had he not had a gun with him.

This is how I've felt from the start. Most folks I know are like me in regards to avoiding confrontation while carrying.

However, there is an element of the carry community that feels their permit makes them something more than what they are; I've met a few myself and seen a whole bunch on this board. It still doesn't make it the gun's fault. Stupid people have no bearing on my actions or anyone else's, so rights and privileges shouldn't be in question; although I would bet that there will probably be something called "Treyvon's Law" in the Florida legislature sometime soon and it will not be targeting morons, it'll be targeting gun owners.

Guest 6.8 AR

"whole bunch on this board." I have yet to meet a single one in person from this board that displays

that attitude. Of course I haven't met everyone, but I seriously doubt there is a "whole bunch".

I go out of my way to avoid situations that might require the use of my weapon, except at the range. :D

"whole bunch on this board." I have yet to meet a single one in person from this board that displays

that attitude. Of course I haven't met everyone, but I seriously doubt there is a "whole bunch".

I go out of my way to avoid situations that might require the use of my weapon, except at the range.

To be fair the ones I'm thinking of off-hand have been banned. Looking through the self defense threads there is the occasional mall ninja that posts about tacticool fantasies of taking down multiple bad guys and saving the day... it exists whether we want to believe it or not. I've met folks like this in person. One of them I'm thinking of is actually a LEO. I'm not trying to make accusations of the general members here. Just knowledgable that not everyone that has a permit is carrying for the right reasons.

I got my carry permit and I carry a gun so I can walk away from trouble, not walk towards it. In one respect I think what Bill says has some merit, but I don't think we should disarm everyone as a way to keep "well meaning" persons from looking for trouble.

As always, it's easier to blame an inanimate object instead of the person. After all, it's harder for an object to defend itself.

With that said, I'm sure there are some who let the power on carrying a gun go to their head. Luckily that seems to be a self-correcting problem most of the time.

"The power-of-the-gun mentality had him unafraid to confront someone. Even police call for backup in similar situations."

Police would call for backup in a similar situation, but the watchman shouldn't have a firearm because well armed police need backup?

Watch groups wouldn't be needed in the communities if the police were able limit criminal behavior.

Edited by tnhawk

:rolleyes: Son of a working class family, father was a WWII vet, a Navy Corpsman himself, college educated, an outspoken proponent of personal responsibility and education in the black community... Yeah, he has no grasp on reality whatsoever.

Never let the truth get in the way of a good rant. However, I agree with others that Mr Cosby is wrong on this one.

• Like 1
Guest mikedwood

I go out of my way to avoid situations that might require the use of my weapon, except at the range. :D

I like and respect everyone I have met through this board. Some great people. I think some things are typed on the Internet through one persona that isn't exactly the person you get when you meet. Sometimes it's the same persona as on the board but comes across much more humane in person.

That said, when I carry I avoid stupid confrontations that I might normally have gotten into. For me knowing I could kill someone leaves nothing to prove. 20 years ago what would have been a simple fist fight can quickly escalate to guns, knives, bats, head being beaten on concrete, rocks whatever, swords even come out. I maintain my firearm in case I need to to save my life or my families, not to defend myself from someone that cut me off in traffic, took a parking spot whatever, mouthed off to me.

I think that if it's so bad you have to do a neighborhood watch "patrol", best to be freakin armed. Criminals have been getting more violent and your average man and woman are day by day becoming more willing to be able to meet force with force responsibly. But.. sometimes even police departments have some bad incidents and someone gets shot or tazered to death that probably shouldn't have. I wish it were one big safe happy world, but it's not. You gotta defend you and yours, I fear that is what the jist of this Sanford Florida thing will be, No against guns but a political action to stop self defense altogether.

So what. My father was a WW2 vet, as a matter of fact he was in the 101st and fought from the battle of the buldge all the way through Germany and awarded a purple heart. I was an Army infantryman and a working class man all my adult life and have a tech school degree but i'm not a rich Hollywood celebrity. Cosby has no more insight than anyone else because of who he is. Enjoy their movies and TV shows but stop idolizing these people, they're no better than you or I.

• Like 1