Did you get your email from Amazon yet?

Hello from Amazon.com,

Thank you for being a loyal customer of Amazon.com LLC. We appreciate your business and look forward to continuing to provide you vast selection, low prices, fast delivery and convenience.

As you may know, Amazon.com LLC is not required to collect sales or use taxes in Tennessee. However, the state of Tennessee requires us to provide the following notice to you:

You may owe use tax on purchases you made from Amazon.com LLC during the previous calendar year. The amount of tax you may owe is based on the total sales price of the items you purchased during the calendar year unless an exemption exists under state law or you have already paid the tax. A sale is not exempt under state law because it is made through the Internet. The total sales price of purchases you had shipped to Tennessee in 2011 was $234.25. This is the amount that you may include on your Tennessee use tax return to calculate the appropriate use tax owed unless you have already paid the tax.

As purchases from Amazon.com LLC can be made through various sales channels, we have included directly below your breakdown of purchases from the various channels.

Total sales from www.amazon.com $234.25

Total sales from www.endless.com $0.00

Total sales from www.myhabit.com $0.00

Total sales from www.amazonwireless.com $0.00

Total sales from www.smallparts.com $0.00

In addition, the state of Tennessee requires us to provide you with the following link that you can use to get more information and pay any taxes due:

Use Tax Page: https://apps.tn.gov/usetax

Please note the following:

• While Amazon.com LLC does not report this information directly to the state of Tennessee we are required to provide this information to you based on Tennessee Code T.C.A. § 67-6-5 (f)(3) signed into law March 23, 2012.

• This notification has been sent to all customers that had purchases delivered to Tennessee. If you are not a resident of Tennessee, the most common reason for receiving this notification is that you may have sent a gift to a recipient in the state.

For more information you may also view our Tennessee Use Tax Notification Page at:

www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200909330

Sincerely,

Customer Service

Amazon.com

I still say collecting tax is the responsibility of the Merchant, I don't care what deal the state made with them. It kind of sounds like that deal was illegal come to think about it.

I can not leave wal mart with out paying the tax. I can't buy a gun with out paying Tax plus an extra (tax) TICs.

I know Amazon is playing by the agreement with the state, but I believe that arrangement the state made with them to be illegal.

• Like 1
Guest Lester Weevils

If amazon truly does not report the customer purchases to TN gov, and unless/until the TN gov passes a new law requiring amazon to report that info-- Wonder how much extra revenue TN will collect as a result of amazon having to send out all those emails? It would be fun to run a recreational wager pool if there were some way of finding out from the gov how much extra revenue gets collected. I'm not at all an astute gambler and never bet on anything, but would be tempted to place a wager "No more than one hundred dollars tops."

Don't how much revenue TN will receive form these emails, but I will look elsewhere when buying on line, even if the site does charge me sales tax.

Why? What was so onerous about Amazon sending you the email?

- OS

Why? What was so onerous about Amazon sending you the email?

- OS

Amazon don't want to be bothered with collecting the tax, but to keep the state off their back, they agree to send out emails to intimidate their customers. Just doesn't sit right.

Amazon don't want to be bothered with collecting the tax, but to keep the state off their back, they agree to send out emails to intimidate their customers. Just doesn't sit right.

Taking a stab in the dark here, but it seems to me that anyone who is "intimidated" by something as innocuous as an email - which might very well be a scam, considering all the junk I get nowadays - probably ought to go ahead and pay the tax.

:usa:

Taking a stab in the dark here, but it seems to me that anyone who is "intimidated" by something as innocuous as an email - which might very well be a scam, considering all the junk I get nowadays - probably ought to go ahead and pay the tax.

:usa:

The thing you don't know is, did the state get a list? If so will they come after anyone? I realize that most of this is pennies on the dollar and not worth the states time. The did go after people that purchased furnture in NC a couple of years ago. Government reporting requirements are increasing each year. Know anyone that was reported to the government for paypal sells? They received Form 1099K. And yes I did send in my $22.00.

... Know anyone that was reported to the government for paypal sells? They received Form 1099K.

Everybody that sells over a certain amount on eBay gets a 1099 which is also reported to the gummit. Federal, of course, not state. Forget what the threshold is.

And yes I did send in my $22.00.

You mean to the state, for Amazon purchases?

- OS

Everybody that sells over a certain amount on eBay gets a 1099 which is also reported to the gummit. Federal, of course, not state. Forget what the threshold is.

You mean to the state, for Amazon purchases?

- OS

YES

The State of TN had made a deal with Amazon as an incentive for them to build locations in TN, the deal being amnesty of tax collection until 2014, they need to stand by their deal.

http://www.geekwire....000-jobs-state/

http://www.bizjourna...-tennessee.html

Amazon tax deal to cost Tennessee $22.8M per year

No it doesn't!

"...the deal will cost the state: $22.8 million per year in forgone state sales tax revenue."

No it won't, isn't and hasn't!

"fore•gone" adj - gone or completed; past

http://www.thefreedi...ry.com/foregone

The headline uses liberal D.C. math. The State of TN has never before received $22.8 million per year from Amazon sales, or any amount for that matter. So a projected dollar figure which they have never before received and which they would not now receive is NOT a "loss", it's nothing (nothing but liberal math). They WILL however start / begin receiving revenue beginning in 2014, the first year they will have ever received anything, so prior to that can not be considered a 'loss'. It's the deal that the state made, live with it.

Amazon's tax deal impacts local business owners

http://www.wkrn.com/...business-owners

No it doesn't. People who purchase from Amazon have not paid any sales tax to TN thus far, so nothing has changed, things are status quo at this point. There are not going to suddenly be 10-million new customers from TN overnight just because Amazon now ships from TN, it's a shipping facility, not a brick and mortar walk-in sales establishment, so no more competition to local businesses than it was last year or the year before. In 2014 things will change according to the deal made by the State of TN, then Amazon purchases made within the state will be charged sales tax, but not before.

Edited by mcurrier

The thing you don't know is, did the state get a list? If so will they come after anyone? I realize that most of this is pennies on the dollar and not worth the states time. The did go after people that purchased furnture in NC a couple of years ago. Government reporting requirements are increasing each year. Know anyone that was reported to the government for paypal sells? They received Form 1099K. And yes I did send in my $22.00.

I'm still not intimidated. Maybe it's just me, but I've never been intimidated by any valid form of correspondence which legitimately states that I owe money. And when I receive notification in writing that I owe the aforementioned money, I do my best to pay that particular debt as promptly as possible. I just don't find email particularly intimidating. OTOH, if they send a 7'-14" gorilla to my door and he threatens to shoot my goats and burn down my hen house if I don't give him 'X' amount of dollars right now... then yeah, I'd find that to be slightly intimidating. :-\