Recommendations for a .22 pistol?

I've recently decided that I would like to get a .22 pistol to add to my collection and for less expensive shooting. Preferably something under the $400 dollar price range, and I don't have a preference between an auto or revolver.

Ruger MKIII4 (4 meaning 4.75") is what I have. Mine is from the early 80's but shoots great. Only gripe I have is when it's time for a through cleaning. I found one online in a few minutes for around $290. About $20 for magazines.

The Ruger Mark II or III would be hard to beat. There are alot of used guns in both models for under $400. They are very accurate and reliable. The only thing it takes some pactice in re-assembling. Good luck with your choice.

Another vote for the ruger, love mine.

I thing the browning would be a safe bet as well, one thing I like about it over the mkiii is the slide actually being a slide as opposed to the plunger style design. That's about my only gripe on the mk series aside from the breakdown process which taught me a few colorful uses for expletives I had not previously considered.

The berretta neos is also intriguing as there is a carbine kit available if that's your kind of thing.

Almost forgot, the ruger sr22 pistol is pretty great as well. Not as accurate in my hands as the mkiii, but my mom(my best range buddy) loves it and can get some pretty decent hits with it. Changable grips, easy take down, eats any of the bulk ammo I've put down it. All in all a great gun as well.

Edited by TrickyNicky

On the autoloader side of things, I'd look at a Ruger Mk II/III. All steel, no bugs and they will last forever!

In the double action revolvers, I'd try to find a good clean used S&W or a Ruger SP101. Both are great revolvers. I also have a High Standard Sentinel Deluxe that I love!

For a single action revolver, go with a Ruger Single Six, unless you can find an old Colt. I have a Colt Peacmaker that is the cat's meow! Single actions are a blast to shoot!!!

I'll vote for the Buckmark as well. It doesn't require any more money to give it a great trigger. Just flip a spring and voila. Amazing. And it is much easier to disassemble and reassemble. I think both eat pretty much anything.

Edited by zybysco

On the autoloader side of things, I'd look at a Ruger Mk II/III. All steel, no bugs and they will last forever!

In the double action revolvers, I'd try to find a good clean used S&W or a Ruger SP101. Both are great revolvers. I also have a High Standard Sentinel Deluxe that I love!

I have one of the High Standard revolvers that was my dad's, but he has it right now. I liked it quite a bit.
  • Like 1

Ruger in any variety: MKI, MII or MKIII, in 22/45 or the steel framed ones. They are too easy to make a good trigger in one and with a good trigger can outshoot most except the very experienced bullseye shooters.

If you've been around here very long, you know graycrait speaks the truth. If you don't know of him...check his posts. He is our ss guru, bar none.

That said, I vote for Rugers as well. Love the 22/45 versions. And as you've heard, prices are all over the board on them. Just look and take your pick.

Good hunting.

If you've been around here very long, you know graycrait speaks the truth. If you don't know of him...check his posts. He is our ss guru, bar none.

That said, I vote for Rugers as well. Love the 22/45 versions. And as you've heard, prices are all over the board on them. Just look and take your pick.

Good hunting.

Oh I know of him, no worries there.

Of the Ruger's I think the 22/45 is the cat's meow, the SR22 has impressed me as well shooting far beyond my expectation's. I also think very highly of my Ruger Bearcat and am impressed by the SP22. Of other brand's I would highly recommend the Browning Buckmark and S&W M-18 & M-17.

Good hunting.

Graycrait is the resident Yoda when it comes to all things .22. I will also 2nd the ruger platforms. Graycrait showed me how to do the trigger job on the MkIII and since then I have bought a Volquartsen Scorpion. The trigger on it paled in comparison to what Craig showed me how to do.

If I were you I would go for the mkIII 22/45 with the TB and iron sights but make sure you get a newer one with replaceable grips. Then throw on a red dot in the ruger dovetail mount and you will be very pleased.

Sp

Graycrait is the resident Yoda when it comes to all things .22. I will also 2nd the ruger platforms. Graycrait showed me how to do the trigger job on the MkIII and since then I have bought a Volquartsen Scorpion. The trigger on it paled in comparison to what Craig showed me how to do.

If I were you I would go for the mkIII 22/45 with the TB and iron sights but make sure you get a newer one with replaceable grips. Then throw on a red dot in the ruger dovetail mount and you will be very pleased.

Sp

That he is.

Very knowledgeable about S&W pistols especially.

I think any gun that has a steel slide or bolt would be a gun to last a lifetime. Forget about any gun that has a potmetal slide and I would shy away from aluminum ones if you have an advanced firing schedule.

I am a Ruger kind of guy so that is my preference. And any of the MK series guns will last a generation or two, maybe even longer.

Dolomite