Anyone slingshot?

Are there regs on hunting small game with a slingshot? Does anyone have recommendations? I know they can be had at wally fo like $15-20. What (grain lol) load would be best for squirrels & rabbits? Was thinking good proficiency would come in handy in tryin to keep a low profile in a shtf scenario. If I go traipsin thru a state park with it am I goin to need a concealed holster lol?

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

I have a slingshot that I recently purchased. I haven't touched one in at least 35 years prior to that and had forgotten how fun they really are.

I tried shooting arrows with mine and although it works I need to work out a method to get it higher in the slingshot. I would still be Minute Of Rabbit inside of 10 yards after a few practice shots.

As far as shot I haven't really tried anything other than what I had on hand. The .69" round balls were just way to big for my slingshot. They worked but hitting was difficult but if I did hit something it was guaranteed to go down. I may cast some lead .33" round balls for a more appropiate sized "bullet". A friend bought some of the steel ball bearings they sell as well as the white glass marbles. He said they work ok but he did say practice is a must.

We both have Walmart specials. I will say if you plan on using it much at all make sure you pick up an extra set of bands.

Dolomite

My son and I both have slingshots. We use those small metal balls that can be found in any sporting goods department. I am horribly inaccurate with mine. My son is slightly better. I need more practice! I believe the release is the important part, but I still haven't figured the best way to stay consistent.

Guest Lester Weevils

Youtube has lots of slingshot videos. Some pretty fancy slingshots among them.

For backyard practice maybe magnetic-steel ball bearings would have the advantage over lead, because maybe you could get most of em back by dragging a magnet around the yard?

My friends and I used to play paintball with them when we were teenagers. I got the idea from a magazine that mentioned since paintball markers were illegal in many parts of the world people would use the slingshots. I like the ones with the wrist supports. I still have several but need to replace the bands on a couple. Back then we were pretty good shots with them. I'm sure I could not hit much now without a lot of practice. I think I may dig them out and see what destruction I can unleash!

-southernasylum

You guys with your fancy marbles and steel shot are making me feel like I grew up deprived. All I ever shot out of mine was rocks. If you get a nice flat one, you can see it spiral and hear it buzz when you let her rip.

talk about deprived.. i had no idea the evolution of slingshots had progressed this much lol ,laser,lights,grips,ammo storage in handle, magnetic holder, wth? it's a wonder they havent injected co2detail_bone_collector.jpg

You guys with your fancy marbles and steel shot are making me feel like I grew up deprived. All I ever shot out of mine was rocks. If you get a nice flat one, you can see it spiral and hear it buzz when you let her rip.

Yep. Rocks and BB's here. I used to scare the squirrels off Mom's bird feeders when I was a kid. When I got a little older, I upgraded to a .22.

We can thank the mall ninjas for that one. Lights and lasers on a slingshot? No thanks, I'll take my hickory stick and a thick rubberband. I really didn't need to see that before I had coffee this morning. ATTN mall ninjas: it is in fact possible for a weapon to function without accessory rails, flashlights and lasers...

Guest TNLC9

This reminds me of days growing up when my younger brother and I would have bottle rocket wars with the neighbors, seeing who could get closest to the other. We cheated. We used a wrist rocket and a firecracker rolled in a piece of channeled lead. I would light the firecracker and he would shoot it, landing it a few feet from their position. Looking back, we wonder just how we lived to see adulthood with some of the things we did.

sent from my sending device

Guest Lester Weevils

So has anyone yet manufactured a full-auto slingshot? If so, could the ATFE figure out how to put you in jail for having one? :)

when I was a kid I spent many many hours with a homemade one. It was one my dad had when HE was a kid, just a Y forked branch with a couple of innertube bands tied onto it, a leather patch made the cup. I shot gravel and pennies and similar ammo, it was good enough to hit an old paper grocery bag (the big ones) at 10 yards or so.

When I was a teen I upgraded to a wristrocket type, with arm bar support and surgical tube type bands, etc. And I bought some steel ball ammo. Much better.

I still keep one to shoot at stray cats and other pests with, and once in a while I play with it. But I doubt I could bag game with it, its hard enough to hit a cat sized critter, I bet I miss more than 50% on those!

This reminds me of days growing up when my younger brother and I would have bottle rocket wars with the neighbors, seeing who could get closest to the other. We cheated. We used a wrist rocket and a firecracker rolled in a piece of channeled lead. I would light the firecracker and he would shoot it, landing it a few feet from their position. Looking back, we wonder just how we lived to see adulthood with some of the things we did.

sent from my sending device

Bottle rocket wars FTW! We shot them at each other while chasing each other around the neighborhood on bicycles. I sure someone would call the cops on us these days. I agree, it's amazing we all made it through with no serious injuries.