Man shoots self in face at Coal Creek Armory

I was talking to a friend of mine today, and it turns out he was in the lane right next to this guy when he shot himself.

My friend noticed the guy was acting strangely, only shooting a round every five minutes or so. My friend stepped out of his lane to use the trash can and noticed the shooter standing there with his pants around his ankles :stunned: . Not sure what that was about.

My friend went back and gathered up his belongings to get away from the guy and go report it when he heard the gun go off. He looked over an the guy was on the ground looking up and gurgling, but conscious. At first my friend thought maybe the gun blew back and hit him in the face, but then he saw the hole in his face.

He ran out to the store area to get help and told the guy at the counter, "Hey, the man on lane 1 just shot himself in the head", and the counter guy said, "We don't have anyone on lane 1" and kept on ringing up the customer. Apparently the guy was on the wrong lane. He kept saying "he shot himself, someone is shot" and they acted like they didn't believe him. He finally got someone else to show some interest, and they rounded up some latex gloves, put them on and went out to the range. Said it took maybe 5 minutes for someone to actually get out to the range floor.

Reports from the officers said he was in the middle of an argument with his wife and mother-in-law. I guess he showed them.

Analong_kidd, that is something it took that long to get their attention. In general I am fairly soft spoken but if needed I can raise my voice to a level of demanning attention. I am sure your friend would have been doing the same. I have never been to coal creek and probably never will. Glad I joined at ORSA.

Edited by vontar
Guest bkelm18

Said it took maybe 5 minutes for someone to actually get out to the range floor.

That really is sad. I haven't stepped foot inside Coal Creek in about 3 years and I certainly don't expect to in the future. I really detest the place for several reasons, including a complete lack of regard for the safety of the people using their range.

Guest Esquire

I was talking to a friend of mine today, and it turns out he was in the lane right next to this guy when he shot himself.

My friend noticed the guy was acting strangely, only shooting a round every five minutes or so. My friend stepped out of his lane to use the trash can and noticed the shooter standing there with his pants around his ankles :stunned: . Not sure what that was about.

My friend went back and gathered up his belongings to get away from the guy and go report it when he heard the gun go off. He looked over an the guy was on the ground looking up and gurgling, but conscious. At first my friend thought maybe the gun blew back and hit him in the face, but then he saw the hole in his face.

He ran out to the store area to get help and told the guy at the counter, "Hey, the man on lane 1 just shot himself in the head", and the counter guy said, "We don't have anyone on lane 1" and kept on ringing up the customer. Apparently the guy was on the wrong lane. He kept saying "he shot himself, someone is shot" and they acted like they didn't believe him. He finally got someone else to show some interest, and they rounded up some latex gloves, put them on and went out to the range. Said it took maybe 5 minutes for someone to actually get out to the range floor.

Reports from the officers said he was in the middle of an argument with his wife and mother-in-law. I guess he showed them.

You sure aren't the brightest bulb in the box are ya? You just couldn't resist making blatantly libelous statements because "your friend" happened to be there when this unfortunate incident happened. I sure hope for your sake that it did take 5 minutes for them to check on him.

This post should be a recruiting tool for law schools...

Guest bkelm18

You sure aren't the brightest bulb in the box are ya? You just couldn't resist making blatantly libelous statements because "your friend" happened to be there when this unfortunate incident happened. I sure hope for your sake that it did take 5 minutes for them to check on him.

Step right up folks, here we have a prime example of the quality of character that CCA employs. :rofl:

That was wonderfully unprovoked. Edited by gjohnsoniv
  • Like 1

IMO:

"Esquire" suggests lawyer -- newcomer to the forum with zero previous posts suggests CCA's lawyer. Well?

Threats and intimidation tactics don't go down well with this crowd.

No libel here -- if relating a statement from a purported eye-witness, and that is what the purported eye-witness said, there is no libel. The truth is a defense against libel. Additionally, the "five minutes" is qualified with ". . . took maybe 5 minutes . . . " which is materially different from "five minutes."

I imagine the purported eye-witness made a statement to police, which therefore is a public record. Perhaps the police report ought to be retrieved and posted online.

Why don't you just tell Analog Kidd to ". . . just shut up, or someone might break your legs." Do you think that might be just as effective?

Perhaps someone from CCA will sign on and repudiate your statements.

IMO.

Edited by QuietDan
  • Like 2

My father commited suicide..it really left us wondering why.Its sad that it can get this bad that people think they need to do this

I am sorry to hear this. My sister attempted suicide, and it completely changed my thoughts about suicide and depression. I do not know this guy's situation, and you never really know what people are struggling with, but I think it is heart breaking that people get to the point where they believe this to be the only way out.

For those who think they should "just let him go," I would suspect you have never had a loved one who has either attempted or committed suicide, or if you have, I guess you are just that cold hearted. Regardless, aside from the devastating effects on the family, surveys from mental health providers consistently reveal that people, who have had a failed attempt and received treatment, are grateful that they survived. I cannot remember the latest numbers I have heard, but it is something on the order of greater than 90%. The survival and treatment of these patients is not just based on a physician's obligation or a family's selfishness. Alright, I'm off my soap box.

Jonathan?

That was wonderfully unprovoked.

Maybe a little harsh but still...the whole "a guy I know said" thing doesn't neccessarily mean it went down exactly how they said it did. In that kind of situation 30 seconds could very well seem like 5 minutes. Plus what I've heard from actual employees that were working that day is totally different and who's actions may not have been immediately noticeable by everyone. But I won't do much of the whole "I heard so and so say" thing because hind sight is 20-20 and I can't honestly say how fast I would have believed or reacted to the news that somone just shot themselves on my property. It's not something you expect and not something every person would know how to immediately handle. Let's focus on why a person would try to end their life instead of using the situation to beat a dead horse, "Coal Creek sucks blah blah blah" Been there done that.

Edited by gnmwilliams

Maybe a little harsh but still...the whole "a guy I know said" thing doesn't neccessarily mean it went down exactly how they said it did. In that kind of situation 30 seconds could very well seem like 5 minutes. Plus what I've heard from actual employees that were working that day is totally different and who's actions may not have been immediately noticeable by everyone. But I won't do much of the whole "I heard so and so say" thing because hind sight is 20-20 and I can't honestly say how fast I would have believed or reacted to the news that somone just shot themselves on my property. It's not something you expect and not something every person would know how to immediately handle. Let's focus on why a person would try to end their life instead of using the situation to beat a dead horse, "Coal Creek sucks blah blah blah" Been there done that.

Yes, I understand that very well. My point was directed at the manner in which Esquire brought up the topic. There are much better ways to say "please reconsider what you are saying" versus "that's libel, etc." In other words the insults and such were unprovoked for a guy stating his opinion based on what he had been told.

In some regards to the guys friend, I have been there when people have come running out due to a fire and live rounds popping off and the staff stands there and acts like you're crazy for coming out.

Edited by gjohnsoniv

I also don't mean to offend you by my comments Gnmwilliams, but that's just my take on it. I'm in sales and retail, there are times when I would LOVE to say things like that at people but it has never worked out. Besides you can disarm more people by saying "we would like if you would come down and speak with us in person about the incident" than you can when you say "you're lying about it, don't ever come to my store/business again you fool."

I also don't mean to offend you by my comments Gnmwilliams, but that's just my take on it. I'm in sales and retail, there are times when I would LOVE to say things like that at people but it has never worked out. Besides you can disarm more people by saying "we would like if you would come down and speak with us in person about the incident" than you can when you say "you're lying about it, don't ever come to my store/business again you fool."

Oh no offense taken at all. My earlier comment was more aimed at the topic deviators anyway. Yes we've all had good and bad service at Coal Creek at one time or another! Same for everywhere else people! Don't like em don't shop with em! Just please stay on the friggin topic! End rant cause I ran out of exclamation points. :)

Oh no offense taken at all. My earlier comment was more aimed at the topic deviators anyway. Yes we've all had good and bad service at Coal Creek at one time or another! Same for everywhere else people! Don't like em don't shop with em! Just please stay on the friggin topic! End rant cause I ran out of exclamation points. :)

Yeah unfortunately it's true. Sometimes you get good service, sometimes bad. It's like that in retail all the time anyway, but when it comes to guns I don't shop there because I have another place I like better anyway. They just have the range that's the closest to me.

Step right up folks, here we have a prime example of the quality of character that CCA employs. :rofl:

Since I do not know you and all I have to rank your character on is the ridiculous, stupid, and assanine statements you have made here, I would say you certainly like to stir the pot. From all I've read so far, this is yet another trash talk, speck talk, and in general chit talk thread. You have no facts and are speaking everything from second hand knowledge. And usually second hand knowledge is incorcorect knowledge. I take personal offense at your comments on the quality of employees there. Let's see "someone on this forum heard a RUMOR from a very reliable source that.....", come on guys, show a little respect for this guy and his family. Drop the rumors, speculation, and all the other mindless, thoughtless bull crap. Did it take 5 minutes for someone to get out on the range....doubt it. The incident was an unfortunate attempt to take one's own life. Grow up. I can't believe TGO David continues to allow this type of crap to continue. And trust me, for those of you who would "never step foot" in the place, makes things better for all of us. Now give me the boot...

Edited by ftncityfatboy
  • Like 1

Since I do not know you and all I have to rank your character on is the ridiculous, stupid, and assanine statements you have made here, I would say you certainly like to stir the pot. From all I've read so far, this is yet another trash talk, speck talk, and in general chit talk thread. You have no facts and are speaking everything from second hand knowledge. And usually second hand knowledge is incorcorect knowledge. I take personal offense at your comments on the quality of employees there. Let's see "someone on this forum heard a RUMOR from a very reliable source that.....", come on guys, show a little respect for this guy and his family. Drop the rumors, speculation, and all the other mindless, thoughtless bull crap. Did it take 5 minutes for someone to get out on the range....doubt it. The incident was an unfortunate attempt to take one's own life. Grow up. I can't believe TGO David continues to allow this type of crap to continue. And trust me, for those of you who would "never step foot" in the place, makes things better for all of us. Now give me the boot...

All I have to say is CCA created its rep with most of the local guys.

I don't see how this thread is disrespecting anyone or their family. Speculating on rumors is what we do here, just because it happened locally and not in Florida, shouldn't matter.

I understand it's your place of employment but you shouldn't take things personally.

• Like 1

I will jump in and say this.

What we know for a fact is there was a young man who thought his life was so worthless that he felt he was better off dead. That is never a good place to be. I do not know what was going on in his head or in his life to make him feel suicide is the best option but in comparison us arguing over it really is silly.

We need to stop this. These silly word games we are playing among ourselves is not good for "our" family here. It is going to tear us apart as a board when we start making accusations and throwing veiled insults at each other.

For those of you who feel like arguing (you know who you are) about someone else's attempted suicide take to PM or hell give each other a call and throw a few cusswords at each other. In the end the board will be a better place because of it and those wanting to argue will blow off some steam..

Seriously guys, we do not need to be arguing amongst ourselves.

Dolomite

Guest bkelm18

My opinion of the quality of employees comes from first hand experience and apparently matches that of MANY other people. Apparently you love CCA and that's fine. I don't. So yes, don't worry, I won't be going back to CCA. :)

I'm out.

Edited by bkelm18