"low ballers" when selling a handgun

tercel89

He drove 2 hours with no DL??? :ugh:

What an idiot.

See, that wasn't my first thought..........my first thought was "Ok, who the crap is this guy and what is he trying to pull?" Not that I expected to be in the middle of a sting with an undercover cop or a terrorist gun buyer situation but if you can't prove who you "stated" you were and can't show me TN I.D. for proof of residency then it's just time to leave.

I had the notion to call the local HP office and inform them of the individual and of the awkard situation that arose thinking maybe they needed to check him out. I let it go and drove on home. I watched the news hard for a few weeks waiting for him to show up on there and it saying he robbed a bank or something...cause that would be my luck IF I didn't go with my gut and the law.

Edited by kwe45919
Guest Baron

Glocks are my favorite.

Everyone lists them at retail price. "Some" may have additions like night sights, but most are plane-jane out of the box for $500-$550.

Each time I see one I want, I start the offer at $400 in hopes they will go down to $450. To this date, every single one has declined and none have counter-offered.

Im not paying retail prices for used goods.

Guest Grout

Gunshows are the worst,not really the folks walking around but the dealers at the tables.There are 2 guys who set up a table together at all the shows in E.Tn.Both are in their 50s-60s,both have mustaches and one wears glasses.Few years back "glasses" looks over a Browning High Power I had,hands it back to me and says "I'll give $250 for it".........I told him he could "#### and step back in it too" shoulda seen the look on his face and all the laughs from the folks around the table he just hung his head set down and muttered something.

I've had a few dealings with people on this site, and will say, every one has been top shelf. When I'm selling something, I'll do my research, find a good price to list it, even cut that a bit to avoid the haggling. When I'm buying, if you've listed it with a reasonable price, I'll buy it. If the price is higher than what I want to pay, then I simply don't need it and won't waste your time or mine dickering. If it's something that I desperately need, well then you got me by the tight and curlies, and I'll pay what I have to pay.

Mac

I've had a few dealings with people on this site, and will say, every one has been top shelf. When I'm selling something, I'll do my research, find a good price to list it, even cut that a bit to avoid the haggling. When I'm buying, if you've listed it with a reasonable price, I'll buy it. If the price is higher than what I want to pay, then I simply don't need it and won't waste your time or mine dickering. If it's something that I desperately need, well then you got me by the tight and curlies, and I'll pay what I have to pay.

Mac

I like your style ! That is what I do . I dont ask to go $100 below the listed price like some slobs do . And like you said , if it is a good price I just pay it and if I dont like it I dont buy it . I met a great guy on here , I forget his name , but a real nice guy , he had a G30 made in 1997 for sale . I didnt have the cash but I had a new in box S&W M&P9 and I offered him it and some cash and he accepted. Times like that are acceptable I think . Offering a good offer with no junk or stupid low amount . I wish I could think of his user name because he was a great guy !

Hey I just found his user name , it is swim615. He is a great guy and I guess you could say this is a boost for his status . He did me well and is a great guy !

Edited by tercel89

Ascertaining an acceptable and common sense price can be a hard issue.

1) You have normal small store NIB price plus tax plus background.

2) Then there is the ability to get the gun from production. Examples are S&W M&P Shield, Keltec KSG or PMR30, Ruger SR1911, etc. This is where you see what I call "Gunbroker" "buy it now" prices for hard to find low production/high demand guns.

3) Then there are Blue Book prices, which often don't seem to fit each gun in its geographical regional price range or is just plain "off" with common sense demand. The clearest example of a below market value price for a gun listed in the Blue Book is the discontinued Ruger Speed Six 9mm. If you sell a Speed Six 9mm for what the Blue Book lists it for the buyer is likely going to make several hundred dollars more on reselling that same gun. But the Blue Book is a recognized pricing guide and is useful for many guns, just not all.

4) There is also the "Bud's Gun Price." Trouble with that is that most purchases from Bud's requires a transfer fee and the background check. But I do check what Bud's sells guns for on certain models to come up with some reasonable price on a used gun I want to sell or trade figuring Bud's likely has the lowest listed retail price.

5) Pawn Shop prices. I don't go to Pawn Shops any longer. Nearly all around here are chain operations and I haven't seen what I call a good deal on a decent gun sitting in a local pawn shop in a long long time around Clarksville.

So lets say you list a good condition used Gen 3 Glock 19 with 3 mags and stock sights for around 425-450.00. Seems reasonable, maybe even low in some regions. But you get an offer from someone who says "I'll give you 150.00." I have to assume one of the following: 1) The guy has never purchased a gun before and has no clue what he is doing other than "horse trading." 2) He is hoping you are desparate for any money (which I think most lowballers fall into this category. Some in this category are: a) desparate too in that they want a gun very badly but have little money or b. trying to make a profit. Profiteering is an acceptable practice but if you are lowballer don't get your drawers all bunched up if the seller laughs in your face. 3) The prospective buyer is mentally challenged.

From the description above I see mostly 2.b. style low ballers - profiteers. I guess they feel that if you throw enough mud at the wall some will eventually stick. Occasionally I see a #1. On rare occasions I have seen a 2.a. But 2.a. guys don't usually offer, they just wish (generally describes myself when perusing Armslist, Gunbroker, GunsAmerica, Auction Arms or most any online gun ads).

Edited by graycrait

I am a proud to admit I am 30+ year lowballer on most everything I buy. Graycait, you need to add 2C. Some people might just lowball for the "art" of negotiating, the win, the kill, the goal, etc. I rarely ever buy to sell to make a profit. I rarely sell anything, maybe I could be called a hoarder to some (my wife thinks so). I buy out of sure "I want it" or my new term in the past 10 years, "just in case". For me its a top 10 thing that I enjoy, buy the lowest I possibly can period. If you don't low ball, you will never know how desperate the buyer is. Any insults from the buyer, is always taken as a grain of salt, but actually is very useful to shake or rattle someone in order to negotiate to the buyer's favor. While I am typing this post, have you ever been tagged team before in negotiations? Meaning, once I lowballed a guy on something from the bargain mart or craigslist, of course he was mad and refused. A couple of hours later, I had a buddy to call this guy, offered him a similar low ball, he refused. Later, I called the guy back, offered him slightly very slightly more than the low ball, he took it. He mumbled he over estimated the market, too many people asking similiar pricing. Score. Business is business.

Edited by Runco

LOL, I used to do the tag team low balling also. I even went so far as to create a fake Craigslist add for the same thing to make the buyer think he was way over on price. I really don't do much haggling anymore. I used to be one of the best, I was also a car salesman so I knew some of the best tricks.

Here is the lesson I learned: In short I drove to look at a jeep bumper. I gave a low offer saying its not what I was looking for but I'll give you "x". Seller was like ok. I could tell he was pissed. I load it up and go home. I'll be damned if the same guy didnt list over the next weeks a dozen other car parts but he wouldn't return my calls. I sent a buddy after a skid plate I really wanted.

I also talked a guy down on a table one time after it said firm. I guarantee if I had not bought it he would still have it though. I later ran into the guy when I was looking for a job, judging by the way he asked, "How's my table"? I could tell I ruined my chances.

I have kind of cleaned up my acts a little.

I do haggle at shops especially pawn shops. I just don't as much unless it's necessary. I get more thrill out of negotiating with those that try me.

Edited by Patton

Gunshows are the worst,not really the folks walking around but the dealers at the tables.There are 2 guys who set up a table together at all the shows in E.Tn.Both are in their 50s-60s,both have mustaches and one wears glasses.Few years back "glasses" looks over a Browning High Power I had,hands it back to me and says "I'll give $250 for it".........I told him he could "#### and step back in it too" shoulda seen the look on his face and all the laughs from the folks around the table he just hung his head set down and muttered something.

I've got to the point I wont show a gun to a dealer at a gunshow anymore when they ask to see it. They will ask "hey what you got there", most of the time I just say "nothing for you" and keep walking. In a strange way it gives me a lot of satisfaction.

• Like 1

i sale on the world longest yard sale each year and i get the same crap every year. i don't have any flea market items, all high end old stuff. my prices range between $50 to several hundred. and i still get the two dollar bunch. all my prices are market and every body will asked what is my best price. last week was the worst in 9 years. by day three i would not get out of my chair to walk over to the customer,,, i knew they were not going to buy any thing, no matter if i cut the price or not.

^ I've used different strategies before. At a yard sale or such I would pick out a bunch of items, and total up what they wanted in my mind and ask will you take xx? They most likely will say no. Put every thing back except the one or two items you actually wanted and offer half of the asking price or half of your last offer whichever is less. If they happen to be busy it's even better. This is a neat trick and gets some awesome deals.

I often used to count out the money in front of a seller, and then say here's xx. I would love to do buisness with you. I bought a Trek 7000 for $200 yrs ago that a guy wanted $375 for. I did this trick after I asked what's the lowest reasonable price you were expecting? He replied he really wanted $350. I can't believe he let it go for $200 and Got him to through in some extras afterwards.

I had some fun when I was selling a IPod Touch. A girl text me asking if I would sale for $75. I said I will if no one wants it for the $100 I was asking. I had it for sale for several days and she asked again. I said oh shoot I forgot to take it down, but I'll sell my wife's if you want it. She said ok. I then text her back saying hers was a little nicer with some extras I forgot about so I need at least 125. She said I can't do that. I said well I'll just keep it, it's not worth fighting the wife for any less. She said I'll take it. She got the same IPod for $25 more than what she could have had it for initially but with junk.

I have taken my grandmother many times on a yard sale "cruise" . She loved to go to yard sales. Well she did something that just embarressed my wife and me : She talked a fellow down from a dime to a nickel !!!!!! I thought to myself , sweet mother of God , get me out of here !!!!! She was around 75 at that time.

IT was embarressing !

I have taken my grandmother many times on a yard sale "cruise" . She loved to go to yard sales. Well she did something that just embarressed my wife and me : She talked a fellow down from a dime to a nickel !!!!!! I thought to myself , sweet mother of God , get me out of here !!!!! She was around 75 at that time.

IT was embarressing !

HA! I would love to go with your granny shopping.....I love to horse trade. She sounds like a HOOT! Grow a pair! Dickering is fun.

Guest twpayne75

IT was embarressing !

She sounds like my father in law. If something was listed for free, he would talk them into giving him something to take it.

The pawn shops around here are the worst. Saw a gen 2 glock 23 that looked like it had been dragged behind a truck they wanted $400 for it. Remington 710's and 770's in varying conditions for $40 more than new price at Bass Pro. When asked if they would take lower they said all prices are firm.

Guest HvyMtl

My thoughts: Haggling is good. Low balling can tick the seller off. Never put a lot of info on Craigslist (like your phone # or address.) Never sell high dollar (over a couple of $100) on Craigslist. Ebay used to be worth selling on, but the fees are too much now. Do your homework as a seller, and as a buyer. Never look desperate for $ as a seller.

Here is how I do: I get the seller to talking a good while about the item, and what they used it for. Why they were selling. What they did not like about it. After a while, I ask them how much they would like, then try to get THEM to go lower. Point is get them to talk up the negatives, they will selfconsciously lower the price.

Example: Picked up a Fujitsu Lifebook (a mini-laptop, the precursor to the Netbook) at a garage sale. I talked to the seller, and asked why she had it for sale. Seems they used it as a portable DVD player, and had a new car with DVD installed. Seems they got it from work when they upgraded their laptops. So, after getting her talking, I commented they did not have the original cds for the software, and mumbled about the scratches on the outside. She sold it to me for $15. To her it was only useful as a DVD player. She did not do her homework. Ebay price on the same day, for one in the same condition? $1200. Point is this, I let the seller talk themselves down. This way they do not feel they are getting messed over by me.

As for firearm sales, I have one of the premade purchase contract, with all the legalese pretyped, where the buyer and seller put their names, address, the date, and sign. I point out it is to protect us both, as it shows we both are allowed to buy/sell the firearm, and it puts a date of ownership, lest the firearm was (protect me) or would be (protect the seller) used in a crime. If the seller won't fill out and sign, I do not buy.

Edited by HvyMtl