Marine veteran held in psych ward for Facebook posts

daddyo

No, that's not what I'm suggesting. I am recommending vigilance.

I'm all about vigilance. I think it's great that folks call out are government when they step over the line. That's one way of keeping them in check. The other is voting them the hell out. The revolutionary talk that has been ramping up over the past year as we close in on the election is just silly though. So long as we have an equal voice in our ability to cast a vote, the American people have the power. The problem is the average American is a mouth-breathing half wit. Revolution is to educate the half wits of our nation to a level that they understand what our priorities should be and get off the couch long enough to cast a vote in the proper direction. Maybe that is asking too much, but the other option is simply not an option... not as long as the people are still in control.

Edited by TMF
  • Like 1

Not sure how I feel about this one. Darned if you do, darned if you don't.... from the snips we can see, he seems to be, in "PC", "in need of some help". If the authorities ignore this and he shoots the place up, then the police didnt do their job, bad press. If they arrest him, they violated his rights, bad press. If they investigate him without cause, bad press. The LEOS can do no right here, every choice is going to result in bad press.

If he made threats in print, I see an arrest and investigation as acceptable. If there were not threats, just trollish rants, then arrest is not acceptable. That is where I draw the line, though of course I personally do not get to draw the line.

Guest 6.8 AR

Well, better to wait to long than not long enough. I can't get the seeming lust some have to get into some sort of 'revolutionary war'. Too many video games and movies is all I can figure.

What's so odd is how few of these conversations I heard amongst the conservatives and libertarians when Bush was in office. Not casting stones or suggesting anything (other than bias), but Bush did more to harm our liberties than Obama has. Whether it's the Patriot Act or rampant spending (including the bailouts / TARP), Bush set us on the path of destruction like no president in history, yet I never heard folks talking about 'the end of our way of life' or 'the end of American' when he was blowing our liberties and our future out of the water...

Maybe I just didn't have my eyes open. :rolleyes:

I don't really know who you are addressing here because I said I'm not advocating anything. As far as Bush, you're right. Patriot Act was terrible. It needs to go. We will eventually find out all the bugaboos in it. I just hope it's not too late.

I don't recall being around here when the Patriot Act was made law, but I wasn't thrilled with it at all. I think my sentiments about that subject are well known around here. The difference now, is that it is here and what else will it cause?

You're statement comparing Obama to Bush is disingenuous because the Affordable Care Act has shackled everyone who makes a dime in this country subjects. That's not damage? Whatever. Besides, how did this drift into Bush vs Obama?

Edited by 6.8 AR
TMF- An old Navy Captain told me that Cold War propaganda actually did circulate rumors of Commie plots to fluoridate our water supply, and that the reference in Strangelove is actually making fun of that.

Interesting. Ya learn something new every day.

You're statement comparing Obama to Bush is disingenuous because the Affordable Care Act has shackled everyone who makes a dime in this country subjects. That's not damage? Whatever. Besides, how did this drift into Bush vs Obama?

Just making the point that all this talk seems to have started from the far right after Obama was elected - in the eight years Bush was cramming us un the toilet no one seemed to mind too badly. Now I hear more talk than ever about an armed revolution. Seems like a load of sour grapes.

• Like 1

While I agree he said some dumb things, I would love to see a little consistency. People have said much worse in much more public places without a thing being said or done. You start to wonder what the motives are for arresting some but not others.

From http://www.glennbeck.com/2012/04/09/new-black-panthers-bloodshed-and-revolution-long-overdue/

Williams: I just want to say to all the listeners on this phone call, that if you are having any doubt about getting suited, booted, and armed up for this race war that we’re in that has never ended, let me tell you somethin…the thing that’s about to happen these honkies, these crackers, these pigs, these people, these motherf*er…it has been long overdue.â€

Kweli: “Ya, what she said was right– we got to suit up and boot up…and get prepared for the war that we’re in…this stuff got to boil over, and all your great’s talked about that happened to be bloodshed involved with revolution- true revolution means some bloodshed, so there‘s blood being spilled because there’s a new life that is beyond this bloodshed.  There is a new reality that is built upon your original African principles and spiritualities and values and norms that is beyond this bloodshed.  But we gotta go do it.

“And as the Scripture said, you gotta to cross it.  We gon’ have to cross the Red Sea….I know y’all thought it was talking about some sea in some Middle Eastern part of the world- hell no.  We’re talking about some blood.  You’re gonna have to cross some blood, and go through someblood and some battles.

“And there are those who wish they could stand in this hour, to see the destruction of the devil‘s world and the devil’s society- and I‘m ain’t talking about no dude underneath the ground with a pitchfork and pantyhose.  I’m talking about that blonde haired, blue-eyed, sometimes brown-eyed, Caucasian walkin around with a mindset, a demonistic mindset, and a nature to do evil and brutality.â€

Williams: “I say to everyone that is on this call right now, I‘m comin’ out of the gate…my prize right now this evening is going to be the bounty, the arrest– dead or alive– for George Zimmerman.  You feel me?  To every brother, to every female, I am for violence if non-violence means we continue postponing a solution to the American black man’s problem just to avoid violence.  You feel me?  It’s time to wake up, I don’t know how else…It’s in me to fight.  It’s in me to raise up soldiers.  It’s in me that every time my feet touch the ground the state of Florida- these crackers- they scared.

“I’m kinda pissed off right now that the state of Florida ain’t on fire.  This could not have happened in L.A. because them brothers up there are not scared to riot.  This could not have happened in St. Petersburg Florida, where the black man over there are ain’t scared to kill a cracker.â€

Kweli: “This is real.  We’re attacked anywhere in the world and we would defend ourselves by any means necessary…You starve capitalism, since this racism that‘s being perpetuated and this brutality that’s being perpetuated, and this murder that’s being perpetuated, is built on the table legs of capitalism, you’ve got to starve capitalism.

“An act of war has been declared on us and we have no choice but to fight…[but] we have to be trained how to fight.  See the whole purpose of the maneuver that’s happening in Sanford is to train in self-defense, because many of us think we’re prepared for a battle- just like many of us think we’re prepared for a fight- but if you are not training, if you are not stocking up water, if you are not stocking up food, if you are not stocking up weapons and artillery and survival books, and gas masks, and flashlights, and cantines, and ready-to-eat meals…if you are not stocking that up I don’t know how serious we are right now.

“They’re using Trayvon Martin. This is not about Trayvon Martin.  This is not about justice.  This is about the destruction of the western way of life and capitalism,†Glenn said upon hearing the audio.

I'm all about vigilance. I think it's great that folks call out are government when they step over the line. That's one way of keeping them in check. The other is voting them the hell out. The revolutionary talk that has been ramping up over the past year as we close in on the election is just silly though. So long as we have an equal voice in our ability to cast a vote, the American people have the power. The problem is the average American is a mouth-breathing half wit. Revolution is to educate the half wits of our nation to a level that they understand what are priorities should be and get off the couch long enough to cast a vote in the proper direction. Maybe that is asking too much, but the other option is simply not an option... not as long as the people are still in control.

Are we going to have a revolution everytime the election doesn't go our way? That will get old fast.

• Like 3

Man that dude was crazy, or stupid.. or both. I didn't think much of it from what little there was this morning, but with TMF's info I say just leave the guy locked up for a while. This guy with his training in a situation like in Denver would've probably been the worst mass incident ever in our country

Just making the point that all this talk seems to have started from the far right after Obama was elected - in the eight years Bush was cramming us un the toilet no one seemed to mind too badly. Now I hear more talk than ever about an armed revolution. Seems like a load of sour grapes.

Sour grapes, sour apples, sour candy and sour pusses.

• Like 1

I think there is more to this story. For the F.B.I. and the Secret Service to show up at this guys door he had to have said something that was deemed to be an actual threat to someone's life. I don't know what happened, but it is definitely more than what we currently know.

• Like 1

We may not have the government we want, but we have the government the American people want. We have an opportunity to change the government with every election. I’m sure most of us here vote and I doubt that many of us voted for Obama.

The Republican Party let us down this time, they had a shot at taking out Obama and apparently they thought Romney was the best they had to offer.

We have a two party system; like it or not. Sure, a third party could be elected, but no one has been able to do it yet, no one has really even come close. If I wanted to see Obama reelected I would be trying to convince everyone I know to vote for Paul, Johnson, or whoever the latest person is that couldn’t make the cut. I don’t want to see Obama reelected, but I think unless things change a lot before the election (77 days from now) he will be. Look as us here; we are as divided as can be.

Our government will never be overthrown by violence from within. There are too many Americans that have vowed that will not happen. Who are these nut cases that want to start a revolution going to go attack, our military, a bunch of cops? Of course they aren’t, the chickenchits will bomb a building with a bunch of innocent citizens and children in it, shoot a bunch of people including little children in a mall parking lot, or shoot a bunch of people in a movie theater even shooting an infant at point blank range.

Why? Because there is something mentally wrong with them. I congratulate whoever saw the warning signs here and put this guy in the nut house. Maybe he can get some help, or if not, maybe he can be charged criminally for his violent rants. Do I have to worry about this happening to me? Of course not, neither do most of you.

Crazy people always scream about their rights when they are arrested and you can always count on some poor misguided soul spewing out some Thomas Jefferson quotes taken out of context.

• Like 1

Dave,

I agree with most of what you said. But, how did the Republican party let us down? There was a wide field of candidates in the beginning, and citizen primary voters whittled it down to one.

Who ran that worth a crap? Unfortunately people don’t want the job anymore.

TMF- An old Navy Captain told me that Cold War propaganda actually did circulate rumors of Commie plots to fluoridate our water supply, and that the reference in Strangelove is actually making fun of that.

Oh, I remember The Great Communist Water Fluoridation Plot type talk. I believe Cas Walker espoused that in his fight against doing it here in the 60's.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

Are we going to have a revolution everytime the election doesn't go our way? That will get old fast.

Well, the point I was making is that every election for local/state/federal office is an opportunity for revolution. If the voters don't take that opportunity to remove their leaders then they deserve what they get and now have to wait a few years for the next opportunity. The people speak for who leads us. An armed movement to upset that would be more un-American than the deeds such a leader would be accused of.

Certainly I would feel a moral obligation to undermine such a movement because it violates the Constitution and goes against the people's legitimate vote.

So, the point is, if folks want a revolution you get to legally have one every time you vote. If you're worried about who people are going to elect then do your part to educate others on the facts. If your candidate loses, tough titties. That's the way it has to be.

• Like 1
Guest WyattEarp

I don't really know who you are addressing here because I said I'm not advocating anything. As far as Bush, you're right. Patriot Act was terrible. It needs to go. We will eventually find out all the bugaboos in it. I just hope it's not too late.

I don't recall being around here when the Patriot Act was made law, but I wasn't thrilled with it at all. I think my sentiments about that subject are well known around here. The difference now, is that it is here and what else will it cause?

you think the Patriot Act is bad, go research the National Defense Act that was recently passed into legislation. It's even more frightning than the Patriot Act is.

Personally, this guy is getting screwed. His First Amendment rights and his civil rights are being violated to every extent. He's maybe a bit out there, but I see nothing definitive showing threats. I see a lot of sarcasm, dark rhetoric and such, but nothing showing this guy to be a true danger to society or about to engage in destructive behavior.

the FBI, Secret Service and Law Enforcement should be much more concerned with Leonard Embodys likelihood of going off the deep end than they should this guy. just saying.

Edited by WyattEarp

Well, the point I was making is that every election for local/state/federal office is an opportunity for revolution. If the voters don't take that opportunity to remove their leaders then they deserve what they get and now have to wait a few years for the next opportunity. The people speak for who leads us. An armed movement to upset that would be more un-American than the deeds such a leader would be accused of.

Certainly I would feel a moral obligation to undermine such a movement because it violates the Constitution and goes against the people's legitimate vote.

So, the point is, if folks want a revolution you get to legally have one every time you vote. If you're worried about who people are going to elect then do your part to educate others on the facts. If your candidate loses, tough titties. That's the way it has to be.

I agree with you. That was another poor attempt at sarcasm.