Do you ever see other people carrying?

I try to look for telltale signs of conceal carry when out and about, if I think to, and I rarely ever see anyone carrying. I can remember two open carriers, and I'm not 100% sure I've ever seen a conceal carry. If I'm looking and can't spot them, I doubt many will notice mine.

I guess I'm not cut out for detective work. :shrug:

Guest rebeldrummer

Well occasionally I help out an old friend with his catering business and he OC....but that doesn't count as more than 1

I was driving a few weeks ago and a hardcore biker pulled up next to me and was OC a nice full size 1911

Just increase the trips to WalMart....at the Alcoa and Maryville locations I have seen at least 2 people this year....

I assume we are NOT counting the CUSTOMERS (not staff) at gun stores? If so....my total rises by at least 15. A few of the locals at Bills Outpost OC and are in there often, as am I :)

I've seen multiple people carrying concealed and oc. I don't really think twice about them typically as they aren't doing anything illegal. You watch a person's movements and gestures along with slight printing and it gives it away. But I'm looking for weapons or indicators of weapons while at work so maybe I just observe people more.

Occasionally I see people printing or with carrier tells, typically adjustments of belts or shirt backs to avoid printing. All that being said its not common for me to 'make' people, Maybe once a month. I think once I can attribute their action to normal behavior, I.e. shopping, etc I typically dismiss them from mind afterwards so it might be more. Id say aside from venues one would expect, I.e. gun range, shop, etc. I rarely see OC. Maybe 4-6 x per year. I do study people routinely I just feel most hcp here in the metro nashville area tend to cc rather than oc. I think a lot of advancements in concealed holster styles & the explosion of the subcompact market in the past few years has a lot to do with it. I have been surprised to learn certain people carried once they told me because I hadn't noticed.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

The only people I make an effort to determine if they are carrying are folks who look like they are up to no good like folks dressed like gang members, drug addicts or just plain suspicious people. The folks I've noticed who are carrying have been noticed simply by accident, as in they just happen to print or catch a glimpse of a holster as I'm looking in that direction. Doesn't happen often. I don't care to be observant of normal looking folks who may or may not being carrying.

• Like 1

I look as well, but if you discard the folks at gun shows and gun stores, what is left are:

1) A small handful of MEN who have the gun stuffed in their pants in the back, exposed when they bend over

2) A small handful of MEN who are fat and their belly against the gun in the front makes an obvious print

3) everyone else who happened to turn the wrong way to expose it or whatever in various positions.

I have yet to see a woman carry but I did spot 1 carry purse (these all seem to follow 2 patters, and both patterns have "secret" compartments in the center while all the woman-junk is stored on the sides, they are like 2 regular purses sewn together). There is no way to tell if the purse is "armed" though.

Excluding the occasional OCer, I have seen a couple poor attempts at CC. Both were thug'ish looking, extremely baggy clothing. Both were carrying the same way, they had a handgun in their front right pocket of their pants in a clip holster clipped onto the pocket. The bottom of the mag was showing on both of them and I recognized it right off the bat.

I don't go around looking for just people carrying, I watch body language and what people are doing. If it seems normal, I don't take notice. This is probably why I noticed these 2 "thugs" carrying. Whether they had permits or not, I don't know - they seemed to be going about their business normally. Their manner of dress and body language is what caused me to look at them closely, though.

The only person I've seen carrying was a guy at Kohl's one day last year and he was OCing. Conducted his business in a normal manner, was very courteous to the cashier and went on his way when his business was concluded. No one said a word about it.

About 99% of the summer I wear St Louis Cardinals jersey's. Aside from my obvious lack of any fashion sense I sometimes feel that people classify me as "Thug" just because of the jersey. Tattoo's don't help but at the same time my pants aren't hanging around my knees and the jersey's aren't xxxxl. I limp slightly because of an injured foot but nothing too pronounced. I have gotten the eye for wearing jersey's but most of it could be in my head, the question is.....At what point do you realize the guy with the cardinals jersey and dirty, worn normal to the front (no sideways non sense or flat bills) cardinals hat is not a thug, but in fact a baseball fan?

I don't blame folks for the initial looks and after speaking with a person they realize I'm a well mannered and considerate person. Just an observation from my perspective.

And to answer the OP, I see 2 or 3 OC a year around these parts.

since living here (8 years), I have only seen 1 OC at Sam's Club. I was watching how others reacted, nobody gave it the time of day.

I have seen one full size 1911 Stainless steel in the small of the back (open) by some guy riding a motorcycle past me on the Interstate.

I seen about 2 people CC that the holster poked out under their shirt.

At what point do you realize the guy with the cardinals jersey and dirty, worn normal to the front (no sideways non sense or flat bills) cardinals hat is not a thug, but in fact a baseball fan?

The way you carry yourself. Besides, you live in Clarksville; you'd look out of place if you didn't have tats.

I open carry myself. No one has ever bothered me about it at all. People are really receptive of it, in fact a few of them im proud to say now have HCP's. Most people are curious as to what I'm carrying and keep tellin me they been meaning to take a carry class.

I've seen three OCing at Walmart and one OCing at a Harley dealer. One of those was a year ago. The last three Ive seen in the last two weeks.

A LOT more people CC and thats what I see most of.

Sent from my HTC Inspire using Tapatalk 2

Edited by w0lfattack

I pay pretty close attention and in the last four years or so I guess I only see about one person a year carrying. Most people I know with permits carry pocket pistols in the summer and save the larger weapons for when cover garments can be worn. Here are the ones I can remember:

1. A grumpy looking old man open carrying a 1911 in Wal-Mart.

2. A super friendly older guy open carrying a large revolver a few miles into a hiking trail in the Smokies.

3. I'm about 90% sure I saw a print on a young, thin, crew-cut guy at Kroger with a t-shirt concealing some kind of IWB semi-auto. I might not have noticed this guy was carrying except for his paracord bracelet made me look a little closer for the print of the pistol which appeard at the 4:00-4:30 location where most people carry IWB.

4. Last winter at church a guy in a sweater had a snag in front of us and I saw a magazine holder on his left hip with a single-stack mag in it. I pointed it out to my wife and I assume he had a pistol under his sweater on his right side.

5. A few years ago at a Chinese buffet in West Knoxville, I saw a guy open-carrying what I think was a Sig on one side and a magazine pouch on the other side.

*Edit-

I don't go to gun shows and I don't count the people I've seen and gun stores etc...

Edited by JReedEsq

I pay pretty close attention and in the last four years or so I guess I only see about one person a year carrying. Most people I know with permits carry pocket pistols in the summer and save the larger weapons for when cover garments can be worn. Here are the ones I can remember:

1. A grumpy looking old man open carrying a 1911 in Wal-Mart.

2. A super friendly older guy open carrying a large revolver a few miles into a hiking trail in the Smokies.

3. I'm about 90% sure I saw a print on a young, thin, crew-cut guy at Kroger with a t-shirt concealing some kind of IWB semi-auto. I might not have noticed this guy was carrying except for his paracord bracelet made me look a little closer for the print of the pistol which appeard at the 4:00-4:30 location where most people carry IWB.

4. Last winter at church a guy in a sweater had a snag in front of us and I saw a magazine holder on his left hip with a single-stack mag in it. I pointed it out to my wife and I assume he had a pistol under his sweater on his right side.

5. A few years ago at a Chinese buffet in West Knoxville, I saw a guy open-carrying what I think was a Sig on one side and a magazine pouch on the other side.

*Edit-

I don't go to gun shows and I don't count the people I've seen and gun stores etc...

I didn't mean to be so grumpy in the Walmart... sorry! :hat:

Guest ArmaDeFuego

I've never been able to pick out anyone who is CCing. I've seen 2 people OCing in the year or so since I've had my permit & have actually been looking at people around me to see if they are carrying or not.

If someone ever sees me "concealed" carrying they would probably be able to tell, cause half the time if I dont really care about hiding it I'll use my big ass Serpa holster & just pull my shirt down over it. It sticks out like crazy. Anyone who knows anything about guns or carrying would immediately be able to spot it & know it was a gun. Most sheeple probably just think its a giant cell phone. :)

Edited by ArmaDeFuego