Jury Duty

Guest Grout

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Spuds

I renewed my carry permit earlier this year. Last week I got a juror questionairre for Federal Court. Never been summoned previously in all my years.

Guest Phantom6

Not I. I'd probably be disqualified by the defense (generally) during voir dire because of what I do and who I associate with.

I'm sorry. I have a problem with people trying to get out of jury duty.

One local judge, now retired, made it quite plain that pretty much nothing was going to get you out of serving in the jury pool. As she put it, men fought and died so you could fulfill the duties of a citizen.

I'd like to be on a jury, but haven't been called up.

That being said, I really don't mind certain people not serving on juries, just like I don't mind certain people not voting, and fortunately those people are often the ones that do neither.

Some people have no choice to get out of it. Some people are single parents, with no family within a 500 mile radius. Some people can't take a chance of no being able to pick up their children from school or day care. Not to mention the countless other reason why some people just can't do it.

Hell, I can't find time during the week to do things I actually want to do, so serving on jury duty sure as hell isn't gonna fit into my schedule.

As far as the comment, "men fought and died so you could fulfill the duties of a citizen" goes, I'm thankful for those men and women, but I'm sure there are a few million people sitting on their a$$e$, with all the time in the world to serve on jury duty.

Guest bkelm18

I do agree that there are circumstances that would make not having to serve on a jury very fortunate, but then there are the people who lie and cheat their way out of it just so they don't miss that week's American Idol. Those are the people who need to be reminded what makes a free society free.

Guest nraforlife
I do agree that there are circumstances that would make not having to serve on a jury very fortunate, but then there are the people who lie and cheat their way out of it just so they don't miss that week's American Idol. Those are the people who need to be reminded what makes a free society free.

Agree 100%. I would not mind being called up for jury duty.

There is a case here in Knoxville dealing with a pack of animals that tortured, sodomized, raped and murdered a young couple.

Would pay cash money to get on that jury.

Guest bkelm18
Agree 100%. I would not mind being called up for jury duty.

There is a case here in Knoxville dealing with a pack of animals that tortured, sodomized, raped and murdered a young couple.

Would pay cash money to get on that jury.

I recall that case clearly. However I would pay to take part in the torture and murder of those pieces of scum. Skip the jury.

One local judge, now retired, made it quite plain that pretty much nothing was going to get you out of serving in the jury pool. As she put it, men fought and died so you could fulfill the duties of a citizen.

While I agree, I am the only one qualified in my company to run it, there are others that can do some work but if I had to serve I could loose customers very easily.

Now I would never try and get out of jury duty and have served in the past while I was working for someone else. Was proud to do it.

Besides if they were to "interview" me for jury duty I would be disqualified, simply because of my deep rooted values that if you steal from me you need not jail time but your hand cut off, and if you kill, rape, or harm a child you need to be hung on the courthouse steps as soon as humanally possible.

Guest Grout
Actually, I don't think I have been called since I got the permit. But I would be happy to serve if called.

Why do you ask?

Cuz I ain't never been called.I have been a registered voter since 1980 though I know they stopped pulling jurors from the voter pool several years back I was never called then.Now they pull jurors from the drivers license base and since your DL number is the same as your HCP number I thought maybe the courts in order to be fair and impartial would want to pick jurors who appear to be "moderate".

I agree, in general if called and able to you should serve on a jury. I have been called a few times, but have never served because it seems they always ask if anyone has ever been in Law Enforcement, I say, yes...next thing I know I'm told I can sit down.

Some people have no choice to get out of it. Some people are single parents, with no family within a 500 mile radius. Some people can't take a chance of no being able to pick up their children from school or day care. Not to mention the countless other reason why some people just can't do it.

Hell, I can't find time during the week to do things I actually want to do, so serving on jury duty sure as hell isn't gonna fit into my schedule.

As far as the comment, "men fought and died so you could fulfill the duties of a citizen" goes, I'm thankful for those men and women, but I'm sure there are a few million people sitting on their a$$, with all the time in the world to serve on jury duty.

I agree there are certain situations where it is truly a hardship, that is why the judge can weigh the facts of each person circumstances and decided. But you have to at least show up and tell him of your situation.

Cuz I ain't never been called.I have been a registered voter since 1980 though I know they stopped pulling jurors from the voter pool several years back I was never called then.Now they pull jurors from the drivers license base and since your DL number is the same as your HCP number I thought maybe the courts in order to be fair and impartial would want to pick jurors who appear to be "moderate".

I believe you are right that they use your DL number, but there is no way of them knowing you also have a HCP unless they were to run a check on your DL. I'm not sure, but I think a computer simply generates a list of people.

Guest HunterH

I would be happy to serve. I am courious to know what the experience would be like. I have never been asked for jury duty in my 31 years... Is that strange? I am surprised that I have never been called before.

Am I a rare exception to the rule having never been called to jury duty ever??

Guest v3bahumut

I got my summons in the mail last week.

I stand to miss out on a good deal of money.

My job is commission based, and If I take vacation, I get an hourly rate, which is usually about 1/3 of what I make on commission.

Should be fun :D

being one of the ones that fought and DIDN'T die..does that mean I get excused? :D

I never get called..even if I did, I doubt I'd be able to serve...I'm usually too far away from home to make that even possible.

Guest DrBoomBoom

I got my jury letter last year, with an HCP. I filled out and sent in the form then didn't hear from them. When I called close to the date I was to serve, they told me since I was self-employed, they didn't need me.

I have a problem with some of the methods of this as well.

1. I have never been called. But being a Private Investigator (now part time) I have testified too many times to count and seen the jurys they pick. Also, I have only testified at workers comp and accident cases so my view of other types of cases is limited.

2. The Voir Dire (selection process) is supposed to give both sides a fair shake at getting un biased jury, however, in my opinion, its still weighted to the wrong side. Self Employed folks who understand small business are generally not on a jury. Company management generally don't make it in. Prior service law enforcement, nope. What you get is a mixture of older folk who are retired...no problem here AND those who are NOT working! They have the time. Why are they not working. Some are on disability! Why would you want someone who is disabled and probably thinks they deserve more than they got deciding for someone else! Terminally unemployable folks....yep, they can't hold a job so they have the time to sit in on one of these cases. They really hold no bias against corporate America and insurance companies.

3. I think its kind of like what I saw happening in the service all those years ago. I hope its changed, but some of the, how should I say this, less than stellar soldiers generally were getting promoted before or ahead of their much better contemporaries. Why? Well when the unit would deploy on extended training or even just during normal garrison duties, the NCO's would allow the "less thans" to go to training to keep them out of their hair so they could handle their squads or platoons! It helped them during those times they didn't want to deal with them but when it came time to stand a board for promotion...dill weed had the extra training points and the good soldiers did not. Now Mr. Platoon SGT has to deal with the dill weed becoming a Spec 4 or buck SGT.

I see sort of the same situation applying itself to jury duty. The folks we don't want judging our peers are doing the deed.

Here are some recent events to back this up. Do you think your salt of the earth citizens made these awards?

In the order I saw them on the web, these are undocumented:

7TH PLACE : Kathleen Robertson of Austin ,

Texas was awarded $80,000 by a jury of her peers

after breaking her ankle tripping over a toddler who

was running inside a furniture store. The store

owners were understandably surprised by the verdict,

considering the running toddler was her own son.

6TH PLACE : Carl Truman, 19, of Los Angeles ,

California won $74,000 plus medical expenses when

his neighbor ran over his hand with a Honda Accord.

Truman apparently didn't notice there was someone at

the wheel of the car when he was trying to steal his

neighbor's hubcaps. Go ahead, grab your head

scratcher.

5TH PLACE : Terrence Dickson, of

Bristol , Pennsylvania , who was leaving a house he

had just burglarized by way of the garage.

Unfortunately for Dickson, the automatic garage door

opener malfunctioned and he could not get the garage

door to open. Worse, he couldn't re-enter the house

because the door connecting the garage to the house

locked when Dickson pulled it shut. Forced to sit

for eight, count 'em, EIGHT, days on a case of Pepsi

and a large bag of dry dog food, he sued the

homeowner's insurance company claiming undue mental

Anguish. Amazingly, the jury said the insurance

company must pay Dickson $500,000 for his anguish.

We should all have this kind of anguish. Keep

scratching. There are more...

4TH PLACE : Jerry Williams, of Lit tle Rock , Arkansas ,

garnered 4th Place in the Stella's when he was

awarded $14,500 plus medical expenses after being

bitten on the butt by his next door neighbor's

beagle - even though the beagle was on a chain in

its owner's fenced yard. Williams did not get as

much as he asked for because the jury believed the

beagle might have been provoked at the time of the

butt bite because Williams had climbed over the

fence into the yard and repeatedly shot the dog with

a pel let gun. Grrrrr . Scratch, scratch.

3RD PLACE : Amber Carson of Lancaster ,

Pennsylvania because a jury ordered a Philadelphia

restaurant to pay her&n bsp;$113,500 after she

slipped on a spill ed soft drink and broke her

tailbone. The reason the soft drink was on the

floor: Ms. Carson had thrown it at her boyfriend 30

seconds earlier during an argument. What ever

happened to people being responsible for their own

actions? Scratch, scratch, scratch. Hang in

there; there are only two more Stellas to go...

2ND PLACE : Kara Walton, of Claymont , Delaware

sued the owner of a night club in a nearby city

because she fell from the bathroom window to the

floor, knocking out her two front teeth. Even though

Ms. Walton was trying to sneak through the ladies

room window to avoid paying the $3.50 cover charge,

the jury said the night club had to pay her $1

2,000....oh, yeah, plus dental expenses. Go figure.

1ST PLACE : (May I have a fanfare played on 50

kazoos please) This year's runaway First Place

Stella Award winner was Mrs. Merv Grazinski, of

Oklahoma City , Oklahoma , who purchased a new

32-foot Winnebago motor home. On her first trip

home, from an OU football game, having driven on to

the freeway, she set the cruise control at 70 mph

and calmly left the driver's seat to go to the back

of the Winnebago to make herself a sandwich. Not

surprisingly, the motor home left the freeway,

crashed and overturned. Also not surprisingly, Mrs.

Grazinski sued Winnebago for not putting in the

owner's manual t hat she couldn't actually leave the

driver's seat while the cruise control was set . The

Oklahoma jury awarded her, are you sitting down,

$1,750,000 PLUS a new motor home. Winnebago actually

changed their manuals as a result of this suit, just

incase Mrs. Grazinski has any relatives who might

also buy a motor home. Are we, as a society,

getting more stupid...? Ya Think??!! More than a

few of our judge's elevators don't go to the top

floor either!