Could not be more proud!

For the last week my 19 year old Niece has been here visiting from West Virginia, she is a college student at Marshall University. Anyway yesterday while at the Green Hills mall she told me that she would like me to teach her to shoot, I could not remove the smile from my face when she asked that and then I told her if she wanted when she turns 21 I will pay for her to get her CCW and buy her a pistol. I was thinking of a 9MM or possibly smaller.

I called a buddy of mine to see if he would come over and let her shoot one of his 9mm, he was busy and all I own are .45 ACP, well I let her shoot my P220 and my Nighthawk Custom and she did awesome! she handled the .45ACP as good as any man I have ever shot with, she is a natural and we had a blast shooting in my back yard I let her shoot the AR and my 12 gauge Shotgun, she absolutely loved it!

This did my heart good and I will be buying her a Sig p220 and getting the trigger job and everything that mine has done on her 21st Birthday!

Edited by willis68
  • Like 2

way to go!

the 45 is not a big recoil round, dunno why you think a 9 would be any better (plastic 9s kick harder than steel 45s by a long shot, esp with defense ammo, unless you have a pocket sized 45). I am more impressed that she managed a 12, it took a while for my wife to get used to even a tamed 12 ga.

johnnin, gotta disagree with you on that. I routinely shoot 1911s and a MP9. Big difference in the blast and recoil, whether shooting or standing next to someone......both with tame loads. In fact, I would prefer to start new shooters with a .22. Develop the basics without recoil interference, cheap and can shoot a bunch. Once that comes together then move on to the 9.

johnnin, gotta disagree with you on that. I routinely shoot 1911s and a MP9. Big difference in the blast and recoil, whether shooting or standing next to someone......both with tame loads. In fact, I would prefer to start new shooters with a .22. Develop the basics without recoil interference, cheap and can shoot a bunch. Once that comes together then move on to the 9.

Heh it has been a while since I shot a full powered 45, probably skewed my perceptions. Been shooting fairly light target loads on a light spring..... did not even think about it when I said that....

I remember when my grandfather taught me to shoot, I was like 8 or so, started me out on a Glock 17 and then moved me up to some fully automatic H&K 5.56 rifle, fun times were had. This was back when he was helping train the swat team and still in law enforcenment, I remember he also taught my brother and I how to clear a house, I guess I was set on the "gun nut" path that day.

Good memories, he gave me a gun for my brirthday a few months back, S&W 686 8" barrel with a trigger job, thats something I will never get rid of.

• Like 1

That's great Willis. I relish every chance I get to introduce someone to firearms, especially the demographics that aren't usually big into guns; women, minorities, etc.

I would recommend something other than the P220 if you're buying her a carry gun though. As you know most Sig pistols are not exactly slim and as you know if a gun isn't comfortable you (she) won't carry it. It is a nice pistol though.

I love stories like this, especially when it's a female. I taught my daughter, wife, both sisters, a few co-workers, and several friends to shoot. The privilege was all mine every time, especially when you see their face light up. When they've listened and put some effort into it, it shows and I LOVE to see the pride on their face when they roll up a couple of good targets to take home and brag about.

...you just can't beat it!

• Like 1

Now this made me smile! Brings me back to my stepdad teaching me safety and how to shoot. I've been able to teach my best friend and then her sister how to shoot. (I've corrupted them to love both 1911's and glocks Hehe)

sounds like the story of my niece except she was in her 50s and had never fired a weapon. she did well too. been 3 times now. she lives on the left coast and dont see her often. she did have a problem with my 12 gauge though. she knew it would kick but she almost dropped it. the look on her face was priceless. kinda like what is this thing and then went back to shooting it.