Glock mods, good & bad

Caster

Still fairly new to the Glock world with less than a year in.

There's so many whizz bang BS gimmicks out there, upgrades can get confusing.

SO, list your upgrades that actually WORK.

I have extended slide releases, they're a must. The extended mag release needs some file and polish work before they are serviceable. They are TOO extended and the edges are like razors. I bought a Glock that already had a Grip Force beaver tail in place. I really like it and plan to put one on my other one as well. Lone Wolf barrels are a must for casting fools like me. They are very accurate too.

The places I have not gone ar guide rod upgrades and triggers. I don't have a problem with the factory Glock trigger. I think it's great so I have been slow to investigate them. I'm wondering if a full length STEEL guide rod is a worthwhile investment too.

Lastly, I was thinking of picking up a threaded Lone Wolf barrel for a potential suppressor some day. In the mean time, it'll need a thread protector. Anyone ever used one of Lone Wolf's muzzle brakes? They look snazzy, be a fun range toy though, absolutely useless on a carry gun.

Edited by Caster

Caster:____________

I'm a lefty, so the "extended mag release" aggravates me. If you are "lefty", they will be a problem to you. I think that the best mod on a glock is smoothing up the trigger. I've tried it; but cant get it right. My advice is to find one of your buddies that knows how, and let him do it.. The only other mod that the glock needs (...for me, at least....) is a set of good nite sights. My baby glocks shoot better than i can hold. We have a glock 33 (...357 sig...) and a glock 27 (...40 s&w...).

leroy

PS: stippled grips aint a bad idea if ya like 'em. I like the sandpaper stuff ya stick on that costs about $8 or so.

Edited by leroy

I never got into the extended slide release, as I don't use slide releases on pistols anyway. I like how the Glocks are nice and slick down the sides.

I recently stripped and polished the barrel on my G19 to give it a slicker look. It came out real well. I also added one of those neato laser engraved slide plates on the back after someone posted a link to the website here. That's where I ended any mods. I love my G19; it's perfect.

I never got into the extended slide release, as I don't use slide releases on pistols anyway. I like how the Glocks are nice and slick down the sides.

That's pretty popular in the more modern schools of thought ain't it? Grabbing the slide instead of hitting the slide release I mean. It's such a habit for me to reach up there and bump the release with my thumb. I'm fairly long fingered and the G19 is VERY easy for me to reach the release without disturbing my grip. What are the supposed advantages on not using it? Seems like you have to pull the gun down off target where I can reload without taking the gun off target. Maybe I need to watch a video or sumthin' to better understand.

Caster:____________

I'm a lefty, so the "extended mag release" aggravates me. If you are "lefty", they will be a problem to you. I think that the best mod on a glock is smoothing up the trigger. I've tried it; but cant get it right. My advice is to find one of your buddies that knows how, and let him do it.. The only other mod that the glock needs (...for me, at least....) is a set of good nite sights. My baby glocks shoot better than i can hold. We have a glock 33 (...357 sig...) and a glock 27 (...40 s&w...).

leroy

PS: stippled grips aint a bad idea if ya like 'em. I like the sandpaper stuff ya stick on that costs about $8 or so.

I ain't left handed so I'm good there. AND, I'm one horrific ball of fail I suppose. I just don't see what the big hooplah is over the Glock factory trigger. I like it.

As far as the stippling goes, you'd be surprised how much better purchase your hand gets on the pistol with the grip force.

That's pretty popular in the more modern schools of thought ain't it? Grabbing the slide instead of hitting the slide release I mean. It's such a habit for me to reach up there and bump the release with my thumb. I'm fairly long fingered and the G19 is VERY easy for me to reach the release without disturbing my grip. What are the supposed advantages on not using it? Seems like you have to pull the gun down off target where I can reload without taking the gun off target. Maybe I need to watch a video or sumthin' to better understand.

on some guns, using the slide release can increase the risk of FTF. Probably not a issue with the Glock unless your recoil spring is shot. The extra compression you get from pulling the slide back gets slightly more energy to chamber the round.

I practice mag changes at eye level, so your eyes can stay down range. you do have to point the pistol up but should be easy to reengage your target.

• Admin Team

I tried out a stippled grip that someone put on an M&P last week and it was amazing. It was do grippy that you could literally feel the stipple grip insert acting as the anchor point in your hand. It was like the rest of the grip was moving a fraction of an inch and that grip panel was staying put.

My 34 is fairly modified with aftermarket sites, aftermarket trigger, steel captive guide rod, grip tape, and different spring weights. My 26 only has a night-site up front and the extended slide release from a 34. Only reason I did the slide release was to make sure I had the same manual of arms on my carry weapon as I do on my comp weapon. I have no problems with the factory trigger on my 26, but the modified trigger in my 34 is "better" (which is a completely subjective term)

If I were to go buy a 19 (which is an inevitability) I'll replace the sites and change the slide release.

I don't shoot casted, so I don't need to switch barrels, but everyone I've dealt with that has used Lone Wolf's have been very pleased with them.

Mac

What are the supposed advantages on not using it? Seems like you have to pull the gun down off target where I can reload without taking the gun off target. Maybe I need to watch a video or sumthin' to better understand.

Nope. I reload and rack with the gun on target the whole time. It's a lot quicker once you get the hang of it. Imagine, if you will, you have gone dry. Your non firing hand retrieves your spare mag as you simultaneously release the empty. The pistol is still extended and on target. As you bring your mag up with your left hand you slightly tilt the butt of the pistol to accept the mag. Once in, immediately tilt the pistol back in the other direction to present the slide to your left hand, pull back slightly and reacquire your grip. I used to use the slide release until I was forced to do it the other way in training. It is much quicker.

• Like 1

Are you just needing to do something to it, because they're good to go out of the box? I've done the

trigger job, but the only thing I think might help one would be a metal guide rod if you're going to fire

thousands of rounds in a short period of time.

Are you just needing to do something to it, because they're good to go out of the box? I've done the

trigger job, but the only thing I think might help one would be a metal guide rod if you're going to fire

thousands of rounds in a short period of time.

You might be right, I may just be over thinking things a bit. :pleased:

Nah, it's fun, also. :D

I put some Trijicon night sights on my G30, last week. I think they were a waste of money. I may

find out about that the hard way some time. I may go to a titanium rod, one of these days, but

haven't really thought about that much. The guns will still shoot when the guide rod falls out after

breaking so, it points to me to not really be that much of a priority. In your case, Caster, the barrel

sounds like a wise thing, since you shoot a lot of lead.

Edited by 6.8 AR

In your case, Caster, the barrel

sounds like a wise thing, since you shoot a lot of lead.

Uhhh, yeah....hold out your left palm and I'll hand you an equivalent amount jacketed [pistol] bullets of what I have shot all year. If ya got a sturdy wheel barrow or three, we'll talk about what cast stuff I shot this year.

I buy and load jacketed stuff to fill a void in my paranoid delusion; load it cheap and stack it deep - but I just don't see a reason to shoot that high priced mess!

Edited by Caster

I put on some Ameriglo sights (I wouldn't mind giving the red back one sights a shot) and stipple the gun. I threw some krylon on the one in the nightstand. When I get some aerovoe in I'll hit it with that. I get bored easy haha.

I wound up going back to the stock trigger.

Speaking of mods. Does that Gen 4 I got from you have a lighter connector? It has an easier pull than my Gen 4 G23.

Not that I know of. That's the way I got it.

I know for me I don't like the extended slide release on my G34 because every once in a while the recoil after the shot will push my thumb into the slide release. This drags the slide stop against the slide and has caused maybe 3 FTF/FTE over a few thousand rounds. Doesn't happen often, but it's enough that I plan to install a regular slide stop as soon as I get around to it. I don't use this gun as more than a range toy now, but until I replace that slide stop I won't even consider it as a defensive gun. YMMV. (I also practice pulling back on the slide to reload on all my guns rather than using the slide release).

Caster, we have similar setups on the 19. I have a steel guide rod and Talon grips (rubber texture) that I would recommend.

Also I did the 3.5 trigger job with a trigger connector. Easy mod. Seems to have a bit more crispness to it. But I'm not one to say the factory trigger is bad.

Best mod is a 33rd mag, ha