Yeager responds to Coward claims

TLRMADE

Hey, let's try to keep this on topic! I don't want us to get sidetracked from the topic of pirates vs ninjas.

You're right! How dare I take our off topic topic further off topic!

I'm still sticking with Ninjas.... Edited by EB-SF
  • Like 1
I didn't realize he wasn't current or retired military. I understand he was in a hostile environment, but does he deserve the same credibility while he's making several times more per year than real soldiers? That's a real question.

It's difficult for me to feel the same way about guys who go over there making $150,000/year while our service men and women are going over there for peanuts.
Most do not make $150k, at least not "guns", which is all he was. Those with specialized skills like pilot, EMT or some other high demand skills will get paid more.

And when you compare benefits soldiers are really close. As a matter of fact a E5 in the Army in a combat zone with a family makes about the same. And realize most of the contractors have a higher skill set than most E5's.

Most contractors are taxed as self employed so that is a much higher rate that soldiers who do not pay taxes when over there. Yes, contractors are required to file taxes even when standing next to that same soldier. Then health insurance and life insurance for contractors will run over $2k per month. And finally contractors have to buy the clothing required to work.

Dolomite

Most do not make $150k, at least not "guns", which is all he was. Those with specialized skills like pilot, EMT or some other high demand skills will get paid more.

And when you compare benefits soldiers are really close. As a matter of fact a E5 in the Army in a combat zone with a family makes about the same. And realize most of the contractors have a higher skill set than most E5's.

Most contractors are taxed as self employed so that is a much higher rate that soldiers who do not pay taxes when over there. Yes, contractors are required to file taxes even when standing next to that same soldier. Then health insurance and life insurance for contractors will run over $2k per month. And finally contractors have to buy the clothing required to work.

Dolomite

An E5 with a family makes close to $150k?  Don't contractors only get taxed when they go over a certain amount?  I talked to someone today that said after 90k, that's when they pay taxes.

ETA:  Hm, checking into it, it seems that companies have been getting in trouble for tax evasion and contractors have been getting dinged.  Interesting.  I'd still rather pay taxes on $150k...

Edited by scoutfsu

An E5 with a family makes close to $150k? Don't contractors only get taxed when they go over a certain amount? I talked to someone today that said after 90k, that's when they pay taxes.

In order for that to apply the contractor has to be out of the US for 335 days a year. Very, very few companies will allow you to work that much so all the amount made is taxed. And the ones that do are the ones that generally pay the least.

Most contracting companies make the "guns" take a break periodically. And those breaks are 30-45 days every 60-90 days. Some companies might tweak the numbers but it is rare for someone to make the 335 day requirement.

For most contractors that make $120k they rarely come away with more than $30 after taxes, insurance, housing and medical and all those are provided free of charge to a soldier while overseas.

Not saying soldiers are making enough because they are definitely not but contractors do not make a windfall either.

Dolomite

Thank you for the clarification, Dolomite. I'll have to give them more credit, because I wouldn't go over there for 30K/year.

The reason why a lot do it is because of the lax work schedule. You will only work 7 months out of the year and that is if you want to. I knew people who would do two 75-90 day trips a year then take the rest of the year off. It depends on who you work with but it is possible to make more but honestly it is really hard to get into a rotation that pays much more than $120K.

Dolomite