Pearl Harbor

DaveS

Tomorrow is the anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor. I only bring this up as I would like to honor my uncle "Thomas Lowery" who served on the submarine USS Sunfish during WWII and passed away last summer. My uncle Tommy whom raised me, was aboard the Sunfish that fateful day. When the Japanese attacked, the Sunfish (whom was entering the harbor) submerged in the shallow water and turned seaward in search of the Japanese fleet. The Sunfish engaged the Jap fleet and when running out of torpedoes, surfaced and engaged the enemy with a 50 cal machine gun and what my uncle called a 3" inch deck gun.

A funny story he told me was when a Soviet Destroyer put up the Japanese flag and cruised right on into Tokyo Bay. The Sunfish went to Tokyo to attack the Jap fleet. Well, they encountered the russian cruiser flying the jap flag and sent two "fish" into the russian ship. Needless to say Ivan got pissed and wanted us to pay for the ship they lost. Such is war my friend!!! I found that story pretty funny!

I miss my uncle dearly, but would like to honor ALL the veterans buried in the choppy waters of the South Pacific!

Bless you all!

Dave S
  • Like 6
[quote name='Stegall Law Firm' timestamp='1354838546' post='856110']
Do they even teach Pearl Harbor in schools anymore? I'd like to go to Hawaii and see the memorial, before the Arizona just dissipates, which it one day will, then there'll be nothing left.
[/quote]

I saw it on my last deployment, when the ship I was on, the USS Boxer, pulled into Pearl Harbor. Ive never been more proud to man the rails.

[quote name='NRA' timestamp='1354838861' post='856115']:hat: hats off too the greatest generation in the history of the USA![/quote]

My grandfather was a submariner in WW2. Greatest generation for sure.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

I took my family to Maui this past summer for a family vacation, it was our 10 year aniversary. We brought along our 3 sons, an 8 year old, 7 year old and a 3 year old. Just for the purpose of Pearl Harbor, we spent an extra $1K to stay an extra day just to fly over to Oahu so we could share the the memorial experience with the boys. That was our 2nd time seeing it, and a first for the kids. It is such a so surreal place, and very somber place. My boys were perfect gentlemen, very quiet, and they fully understood what had happened and what that place means. The smell and sight of the diesel still seeping up is unblievable. I honor all of the men who died in the pearl harbor attack, and for ones that are still entomed there. Here is a pic on the bridge of the memorial looking up at the ceiling:

http://[img]http://i963.photobucket.com/albums/ae114/runco0318/IMGP3440.jpg[/img]
  • Like 2
In case anyone wants to try to take a moment of silence tomorrow, consider 7:48 a.m. Hawaiian [i]Time, 12:48 p.m. eastern[/i] I believe.

I don't know which boat but I had an uncle in the North Atlantic on a Sub during WW2. Edited by vontar
the real shame is it is not so much a day that lives in infamy anymore. I am very doubtful it will be on the front page on the News Sentinel tomorrow. How quick we forget.

I am going to quiz the oldest grandson tomorrow and see if anything was taught about December 7 in school this day.
I was stationed In Hawaii for five years so it means a lot to me but even during childhood I always thought about it every Dec 7th. My wife was a elementary school teacher in the Hawaii public schools and she didn't have to teach it in school because it was all ready on the minds of the 6yr olds. It's truly a sacred day in the islands, everyone just has a completely different demeanor on Pearl Harbor Day.
Guest TankerHC
I know quite a few WWII Vets (Relatively speaking considering how fast that are going), but no Pearl Harbor Vets. Last Saturday my wifes office visited an old folks retirement home next town over (Her company does these things every week, different Volunteers from the Company do it). When she came back she told me a lot of the people there have no relatives or dont get a lot of visitors. She helped out that day two of the elderly people, they wanted to talk. One of them told her he was retired Navy and she mentioned I was in and retired and they got to talking and he told her he was at Pearl on December 7th during the attack. Until I saw this post (I knew it was Pearl Harbor Day) I had forgot all about the old man she told me about last week. Think I am going to go pay him a visit today. Think Im also going to take my voice recorder and ask him if I can ask him some questions. Ill probably go in about three hours, take him some small gift. If anyone of you can think of a question you think I should ask him, post it. When I get back, Ill post the recording of him on here. But only if you all are interested in what this old man has to say. Wife says he was real talkative about it and real coherent.
Guest TankerHC
I will. I just spoke with the manager of the Nursing Home and she told me he served all the way through . (We asked for some details because our Gun Forum is going to get him a small plaque) He said that the worst battle he was in was the Battle of Okinawa because they lost 40,000, but the other side lost 80,000. Oh, and he woulld like some Butterscocth Hard Candy, Strawberry Hard Candy and Diet Root Beers.LOL. Im pretty sure thats the least I could do for this vet.

[quote name='Stegall Law Firm' timestamp='1354838546' post='856110']
Do they even teach Pearl Harbor in schools anymore? I'd like to go to Hawaii and see the memorial, before the Arizona just dissipates, which it one day will, then there'll be nothing left.
[/quote]

I'll always remember it. Today is my youngest son's birthday. Visited Pearl Harbor when I was in high school. The Arizona memorial was a very sobering experience. :usa:

Edited by peejman
[quote name='DaveS' timestamp='1354834219' post='856077']Tomorrow is the anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor. I only bring this up as I would like to honor my uncle "Thomas Lowery" who served on the submarine USS Sunfish during WWII and passed away last summer.[/quote]
Wow...I know of the Sunfish (SS-281)...the submarine war; especially in the Pacific theater, has always fascinated me and I've read most everything written about it, fiction and non-fiction.

One of my favorite authors is Edward L. Beach Jr; among other works wrote "Run Silent Run Deep" which was also the title of a movie based on the book (the movie included Clark Gable and Burt Lancaster).

Anyway, condolences to you and a salute to your uncle and to all who served and still do...Some gave all; all gave some.
Guest TankerHC
[quote name='RobertNashville' timestamp='1354910892' post='856599']
Wow...I know of the Sunfish (SS-281)...the submarine war; especially in the Pacific theater, has always fascinated me and I've read most everything written about it, fiction and non-fiction.

One of my favorite authors is Edward L. Beach Jr; among other works wrote "Run Silent Run Deep" which was also the title of a movie based on the book (the movie included Clark Gable and Burt Lancaster).

Anyway, condolences to you and a salute to your uncle and to all who served and still do...Some gave all; all gave some.
[/quote]

The book and movie are both great. If you like WWII Submarine movies, watch The Boat. "Das Boot". It was filmed in Germany on the backlot at the studios in Munich. I visited there and saw the model they used and the conning tower and saw the movie when it came out in German and English. It has to be the greatest WWII Submarine movie of all time.

[quote name='TankerHC' timestamp='1354911334' post='856604']
The book and movie are both great. If you like WWII Submarine movies, watch The Boat. "Das Boot". It was filmed in Germany on the backlot at the studios in Munich. I visited there and saw the model they used and the conning tower and saw the movie when it came out in German and English. It has to be the greatest WWII Submarine movie of all time.
[/quote]That is a great one...been a while since I saw it. I'm envious that you actually got to sen the production site and model.

I don't go to Chicago anymore ;) but one thing they have there that is fascinating to go through is the German U-boat, the U-505. It's been years since I went through it but as far as I know it's still there and open to the public.

Guest TankerHC

[quote name='RobertNashville' timestamp='1354911603' post='856607']
That is a great one...been a while since I saw it. I'm envious that you actually got to sen the production site and model.

I don't go to Chicago anymore ;) but one thing they have there that is fascinating to go through is the German U-boat, the U-505. It's been years since I went through it but as far as I know it's still there and open to the public.
[/quote]

1 Mile from where I grew up we have a WWII Sub on display in the Harbor. The USS Torsk (The Galloping Ghost of the Japanese Coast). Been in it many times, amazing how cramped those guys lived for months at a time. Last time I was at the Harbor a few years ago, I went to see it and it wasnt there, then I see in the water an actual periscope sticking up moving through the Harbor. They were taking it out for tests. The volunteers who took care of it up through the 80's (ANd I think even in the 90's) were actual crew members who served on her during WWII.

We also have the only Coast Guard vessel that was at Pearl Harbor on December 7th still in existence and the USS Constellation,

Edited by TankerHC

[/quote]

That's a great book and Das Boot is epic. If you fancy more modern submarine books, check out Michael DiMercurio's series (best when read in order), Joe Buff, and [u]Blind Man's Bluff[/u]. Good stuff.
[quote name='DaveS' timestamp='1354834219' post='856077']
Tomorrow is the anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor. I only bring this up as I would like to honor my uncle "Thomas Lowery" who served on the submarine USS Sunfish during WWII and passed away last summer. My uncle Tommy whom raised me, was aboard the Sunfish that fateful day. When the Japanese attacked, the Sunfish (whom was entering the harbor) submerged in the shallow water and turned seaward in search of the Japanese fleet. The Sunfish engaged the Jap fleet and when running out of torpedoes, surfaced and engaged the enemy with a 50 cal machine gun and what my uncle called a 3" inch deck gun.[/quote]

Wow...I know of the Sunfish (SS-281)...[/quote]

Dave, not meaning to denigrate your unc or anything, but something's out of whack there.

The Sunfish wasn't built/launched from California until May of 1942, commissioned in July, and arrived at Pearl in Nov. of '42.

Maybe he was on a different sub at the time of the Pearl Harbor attack and sort of blended the stories or something.

- OS
[quote name='Oh Shoot' timestamp='1354914527' post='856619']
Dave, not meaning to denigrate your unc or anything, but something's out of whack there.

The Sunfish wasn't built/launched from California until May of 1942, commissioned in July, and arrived at Pearl in Nov. of '42.

Maybe he was on a different sub at the time of the Pearl Harbor attack and sort of blended the stories or something.

- OS
[/quote]

He was, my bad. I'm trying to contact my aunt to find out the sub he was on at pearl. Will post it as soon as I find out. He talked so much about the Sunfish it's possible he or I mixed the names. I have alot of his pictures from the sunfish.
When I lived in Ohio for a bit, he visited us one time and we drove to Cleveland to visit the USS Cod, (according to him) the sister ship to the Sunfish. The Cod is a floating preserved sub from WWII. He entered the sub, and gave me the whole run down. When we entered the forward torpedo room, he showed me the bunk he slept in (on the Sunfish). This was the first time I have ever seen tears in his eyes.

Dave S
[quote name='DaveS' timestamp='1354922714' post='856654']...When we entered the forward torpedo room, he showed me the bunk he slept in (on the Sunfish). This was the first time I have ever seen tears in his eyes.[/quote]
I think I can understand that.

Anytime I visit a decommissioned ship; even if it's nothing like the one I served on, those memories come flooding back...it seems like it was yesterday but my service was some 30 years ago.

When you serve aboard an American warship you become attached to it in a way that's difficult to put into words...the sailor depends on that ship for his very life, most especially when a shooting war is going on.
Guest TankerHC
Well I went down and visited with that WWII Vet at the nursing home. Well he didn't serve at Pearl. He is a former gunner on LC(FF) 1031 (Landing Craft "Flotilla Flagship" 1031) that was the command ship for a flotilla of 17 LCT's, and served during the Battle Of Okinawa. His name is Mr. T.A. Mann. So I took my digital recorder and my list of questions and asked if he would consent to an interview about his WWII service. He did and I was able to record a 30 minute interview with Mr. Mann. Some interesting things, what they did during Kamikaze attacks (He shot one down right before it his his boat), when a Japanese sub got in the middle of their 17 boat flotilla (A Destroyer came in and dropped depth charges and sunk it), how he witnessed an American fighter plane take on a Zero and couldn't shoot it down so the American pilot used his plane to chop the tail of the Zero, we talked about a bunch of interesting things. Anyway, I would post the entire audio, but since I am no Geraldo when it comes to interviews, Im going to do some editing first.

One thing that happened while I was there, I took him 10 bags of candy that he asked for (Not much 88 cents a bag) and he put it in his drawer, then walked around to get a photo album out (He had been in a wheelchair the entire time I was there) and BAM, he hit the ground, had a dizzy episode. Nearly smacked his head on the corner of the dresser and landed (HARD) right on his right hip. I got him back into the wheelchair real quick and got a nurse and within 5 seconds there were 6 nurses in there checking him out. He got a bruise on his side but no broken bones. He's hard headed, when he wants to get up and walk, he does even though he has these spells, he wont let anyone push him in his chair, not nurses or doctors, he says he can do it himself. He's independent and plans on staying that way. Good ole fella though (He's 87). Edited by TankerHC