Portland shooting

I've read a few articles so few and saw a short piece on the news.  They keep saying that the shooter is dead but have not said who neutralized the shooter.  Typically if it is police or security that is published fairly quickly.  This leads me to believe that it was either suicide or an armed citizen.  My guess would be suicide.  2 confirmed victims dead and 1 confirmed seriously wounded.  This is a very low number for a typical active shooter type scenario.  Again this is just my speculation, but i think the shooter went there with very specific targets in mind and at the completion of their goal took their own lives. 

• Like 1
Guest fauklin
I love how everybody on a shooting spree has "body armor" on. Wasn't that the story with the aurora shooter for months? That was the argument liberals kept using when i would talk about concealed carry in theatres. "You couldn't have hurt him. He had body armor on." Then when they admit that it was just a tac vest, hardly anyone reports it. Time to buy some Kevlar. No amendment against banning that. Bionic Post

Although inaccurate i would say that from the average civilians perspective a tac vest and body armor look a lot alike.  Ive heard the body armor things about this one as well, and it doesn't jive with what we know so far about the shooters behavior.  Even a tac vest would indicate that he meant to engage significantly more targets than he did.  The reports about him wearing camo are probably accurate  this time of year there are a lot of people that wear some form of camo coat.  Either military surplus, or mossy oak etc  that and the urban camo look is popular with a certain set of individuals.    Again this is all just supposition. 

I feel bad for the victims and there families, but i find this particular incident intriguing.  I have done a lot of research on the concepts of active shooters.  And the descriptions of volume of fire and initial reports of clothing somewhat fit that scenario, however the low number of casualties (A blessing) is an oddity.  Following this close on the heels of the Colorado shooting you would typically expect a similar or larger fatality count for a spree killer/active shooter.

Again, this is guess work but i think this guy was more of the traditionally homicidal type.  

It's a sad world we live in when there are enough different types of murders that than can be classified. 

Following this close on the heels of the Colorado shooting you would typically expect a similar or larger fatality count for a spree killer/active shooter.

Colorado totals were quite low, too, for what even an average range enthusiast could accomplish. It's actually never been shown to my knowledge that Holmes had ever even fired a gun before.

Contrast these to a "competent" shooter, like Breivik in Norway, who killed 69 and wounded at least 33 more, with a Mini14. And he was moving around an island where folks were not nearly as compacted in as in a movie theater (or crowded mall).

So whatever this guy's plans were, max mayhem didn't seem to figure in, but who knows with the sparse info so far.

- OS Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

The only reason i compare it to the Colorado shooting is the relative close time span between the two and and the thought process that spree killers/active shooters are typically seeking long term fame resulting in a competitive mindset.  That's why i said i would expect the same number or higher.  Oh Shoot is 100% correct in that Colorado was a relatively small number compared to others around the world.  Especially considering the crowded conditions and amount of time the shooter had.  thankfully neither of these individuals were proficient in the use of arms. 

I find it odd though that you never really hear about the Bath school bombing.  One of the worst days in US history left IIRC 45 dead counting the bad guy and his family that he killed before bombing the school.  Granted that was in the twenties which is why it seems to be forgotten.  I only bring up the Bath bombing to illustrate that firearms do not increase the likelihood of something like this happening. 

Reports seem to indicate he was wearing a vest with multiple magazine pockets - ergo, "body armor" to the uninitiated.  Reports also says the gun jammed, then apparently he cleared it and took more shots before he took his own life.  Wearing a hockey-style face mask, too...and yelled "I am the shooter" at one point in his ramblings.  

It's sad that people died in this and I know it was a "gun free" zone but I keep reading people's testimonies of stuff like, "I felt so helpless" and "All I could do was hide and cry, and pray" and I just can't wrap my brain around why people choose to continue to feel this way. My brain just doesn't work that way. If you don't want to feel helpless do something about it! If you don't want to be stuck peeing yourself in a corner, just waiting to be slaughtered, do something about it! I'm not saying I'd be the guy to chase after the gunman but I sure as heck wouldn't make myself an easy target if he got between me and the door. Sorry for the rant. It just gets my goat to see all these people with the "woe is me" attitudes and that there's nothing they can do about it. Arm yourselves!

• Like 5

It just came out that the shooter was carrying a stolen AR-15.  

Yup, the media will have a hay day with this one.  I imagine NBC and ABC are already saying it was a super automatic AK-47 with a 10,000 round magazine capable of blowing people in half.  

I think I will just watch a movie and keep the news turned off.  I don't feel like being angry tonight. 

• Like 1
Guest Mad4rcn

I first saw this on Facebook, which caused me to read the comments which in turn almost gave me an aneurysm. People automatically jump to ban semi-auto guns. He only hit 3 people( according to current reports) which is awful, but could easily be done with a revolver

Or a slingshot !

It just came out that the shooter was carrying a stolen AR-15.  

Yup, the media will have a hay day with this one.  I imagine NBC and ABC are already saying it was a super automatic AK-47 with a 10,000 round magazine capable of blowing people in half.  

I think I will just watch a movie and keep the news turned off.  I don't feel like being angry tonight. 

Actually the news said "a stolen AR15 with multiple loaded magazines". Lawmakers are already talking bans...sheez....

Dave S

Actually the news said "a stolen AR15 with multiple loaded magazines". Lawmakers are already talking bans...sheez....

Dave S

Dave S

Guess they have to make it look like they're actually doing something.

Guess they have to make it look like they're actually doing something.

I agree! Someday, if these jerks keep coming out of the woodwork, all we'll be able to buy and use is single shot muzzleloaders! Hard to kill a bunch of folks with one of those!!

Dave S