Everything is now an "assault" weapon and selling

And it will come eventaully. There has been talks over the last year with the world's rice producers. They are putting together and OPEC style conglomerate to increase prices and their profits. If you think you can't live without gas imagine when the rice, corn and wheat growers decide to demand 10x what they are getting now. $10 for a pack of tortillas, $30 bags of flour and $20 box of cereal are going to be the norm.

Dolomite

I was in the Turkey Creek Gander Mountain last night and naturally all the evil black rifles were gone, they did have some camo r-15s and r-25 remingtons. Didnt look at the prices and which exact models but they may be an alternative to someone looking for a new AR without paying real stupid prices.  If you can live with the camo look and no flash hider anyhow..

Plenty of pistols, bolt rifles and shotguns though, and lots of people buying.

Atlas shrugged in Minnesota in the book, also.

No kidding.  All bubbles end the same way--badly.  For an interesting recent historical comparison, do a search on the 2008 Minneapolis wheat market.  Better yet find a price chart for spring wheat from late 2007 to 2009.  When you see the numbers it really hits home. Because of fears of a wheat shortage, millers and grain buyers went on an absolute, unchecked panic buying frenzy in early 2008.  But by the end of the year prices were back to where they were before it began.  It's a good rule of thumb that the day the world supposedly runs out of this or that, that's the day the highest price is made. 

I've been thinking the same thing about food.  Gun buying is a pretty small, niche area of the consumer world.  Now imagine if this was the stuff we need to eat. 

Funny how Atlas shrugged in Minnesota as you described. Just tells me how many times we have

been warned and still a lot tend to ignore the warnings. Food will be the last straw, also.

Scary stuff, isn't it?

Edited by 6.8 AR

Dolomite, that will also come as a result of the further weakening of the US dollar.  When I "buy" ammunition or silver, I don't think of it as spending money.  I look it as exchanging my always weakening federal reserve notes for something that will continue to have value.  I don't think we'll have an economic collapse in the near future, and cash is still king.  But the writing's been on the wall since about 1913.

• Like 2

I can guarantee that the stuff I buy now that are related to reloading or firearms will only go up in value. Everything I have bought 2 years ago has went up by at least 25%.

Everything I buy is geared towards being self sufficient long term.

You cannot put a price on the ability to make your own ammunition. Especially for what it costs me to make it. I can't recall the last time I was able to buy 20 round of centerfire ammunition for .88. That is $44/1,000 for my 300 blackout. And that is the biggest reason I chose that caliber. It is miserly and I can cast perfectly useable bullets easily. Blackpowder will probably never be outlawed and I suspect it will work just as well as anything else in a bolt gun. Primers can be readily made using items you can find at ANY store. And because I cast my own bullets I will probably never run out of those.

I guess I need to go ahead and do some testing involving blackpowder and the 300 Blackout in a bolt gun. Heck I would be willing to bet my AR will cycle using blackpowder for a magazine. As a matter of fact I recall someone using blackpowder in their 1911 loads with great success. It went 50 rounds without a malfunction before he quit. Hard to say how many rounds it would go. Heck you can easily use blackpowder in any revolver caliber.

Dolomite

Edited by Dolomite_supafly
Dolomite, that will also come as a result of the further weakening of the US dollar.  When I "buy" ammunition or silver, I don't think of it as spending money.  I look it as exchanging my always weakening federal reserve notes for something that will continue to have value.  I don't think we'll have an economic collapse in the near future, and cash is still king.  But the writing's been on the wall since about 1913.

Sounds like your not only educated in law but history also :usa:  Bet you know a little about Woodrow Wilson, the league of nations, and Christmas Eve Congressional legislation passage too!

• Administrator

This past week my wife and I have stopped in a few gun shops just to witness the madness.  Everyone from vendors here to big box stores like Academy are picked clean on rifles.  Handguns, not so much.  But if you want a semi-automatic rifle of any kind, you're pretty much screwed at this point.

I've seen crap that people wouldn't have spent a nickle on two weeks ago flying off store shelves and demanding top dollar on GunBroker.  It's been eye opening.

It's quite freaky. And the fact that the stores are all picked clean of rifles, mags and ammo means anytime something comes in it will fly out the door. Only until people's credit cards come due in January will there be any hope of the madness even beginning to settle down/. And even then it will likely continue as the regular folk start seeing the reports of the gun buying panic and try to get in on buying. Gonna be a crazy ride
  • Administrator

I'm hoping to capitalize on some of the poor judgment these assclowns have shown by picking up a rifle or two for a fraction of the price come Februrary or March when they realize that Obama can't get jack shit pushed through Congress and folks start dumping them to pay off their credit card debt.

• Like 4
This past week my wife and I have stopped in a few gun shops just to witness the madness.  Everyone from vendors here to big box stores like Academy are picked clean on rifles.  Handguns, not so much.  But if you want a semi-automatic rifle of any kind, you're pretty much screwed at this point.

I've seen crap that people wouldn't have spent a nickle on two weeks ago flying off store shelves and demanding top dollar on GunBroker.  It's been eye opening.

Last week I turned around and left Outpost Armory because the line to get in the building extended for about 30 yards. No thanks; I'll wait.

I was looking for a 300 Blackout barrel for my AR build until this craziness happened. I want a barrel something fierce but I'm not going to pay more than what I would have a week or so ago. I'll keep all my parts put away until the prices come back down. Then I'll finish my build.
[quote name="EB-SF" post="868039" timestamp="1356390757"]I was looking for a 300 Blackout barrel for my AR build until this craziness happened. I want a barrel something fierce but I'm not going to pay more than what I would have a week or so ago. I'll keep all my parts put away until the prices come back down. Then I'll finish my build.[/quote] I've got to complete lowers ready to go as well. Part of me is mildly interested in putting them up for sale just to see what all I can get, but all in all I'd rather just keep them and wait until a great deal comes along on a few uppers in a few months.
Guest Lester Weevils

It was supply and demand that raised the price of AR and AK four years ago too. Then demand gradually fell (people either got what they wanted at higher price or came to their senses) and supply caught up. Classical economics supply/demand chart intersection settled to a lower price. It will happen again because demand is not, cannot, be infinite.

I'm of two minds on the "gouging" angle-- There will always be fools with money. When people have the freedom to buy and sell without coercion, then transactions CAN'T HAPPEN unless both parties think they are coming out ahead. A fella pays $3000 for a gun, at least at that moment the buyer thinks the gun is worth more than 30 franklins, and at least at that moment the seller thinks he'd rather have 30 franklins than the gun.

People gripe about gouging on some items, gasoline, bread, ammo, whatever. But if a fella bought Apple stock a few years back when it was in the toilet and I frankly expected Apple to go bankrupt within a year. Or suffer a hostile takeover by some upstanding "corporate savior" aka corporate raider like Romney, who wanted to get ahold of apple to let it die and siphon off all that cash and retirement funds apple had. :) $25 a share or lower, can't recall. Now that apple stock is insanely high and has split how many times, do people think the fella who bought Apple at $25 a share is "gouging" to sell at whatever insane capital gains he would realize? Is the fella gouging unless he sells his stock for about $25 the same as what he paid?

I'm ambivalent about it, but there are LOTS of things that raise envy and applause when people make a killing on buying and selling, so am not certain why turning a good quick profit on a gun or ammo or gasoline is bad, if turning a good quick profit on stocks, bonds or real estate is not only good, its the american way?

I've got to complete lowers ready to go as well. Part of me is mildly interested in putting them up for sale just to see what all I can get, but all in all I'd rather just keep them and wait until a great deal comes along on a few uppers in a few months.

Keep them because in a few months we'll be able to buy what we need dirt cheap.
It was supply and demand that raised the price of AR and AK four years ago too. Then demand gradually fell (people either got what they wanted at higher price or came to their senses) and supply caught up. Classical economics supply/demand chart intersection settled to a lower price. It will happen again because demand is not, cannot, be infinite.

I'm of two minds on the "gouging" angle-- There will always be fools with money. When people have the freedom to buy and sell without coercion, then transactions CAN'T HAPPEN unless both parties think they are coming out ahead. A fella pays $3000 for a gun, at least at that moment the buyer thinks the gun is worth more than 30 franklins, and at least at that moment the seller thinks he'd rather have 30 franklins than the gun.

People gripe about gouging on some items, gasoline, bread, ammo, whatever. But if a fella bought Apple stock a few years back when it was in the toilet and I frankly expected Apple to go bankrupt within a year. Or suffer a hostile takeover by some upstanding "corporate savior" aka corporate raider like Romney, who wanted to get ahold of apple to let it die and siphon off all that cash and retirement funds apple had. :) $25 a share or lower, can't recall. Now that apple stock is insanely high and has split how many times, do people think the fella who bought Apple at $25 a share is "gouging" to sell at whatever insane capital gains he would realize? Is the fella gouging unless he sells his stock for about $25 the same as what he paid?

I'm ambivalent about it, but there are LOTS of things that raise envy and applause when people make a killing on buying and selling, so am not certain why turning a good quick profit on a gun or ammo or gasoline is bad, if turning a good quick profit on stocks, bonds or real estate is not only good, its the american way?

It's not that it is inherently bad, Lester, but it is tainted to me when it comes from the very people who espouse to cherish

the 2nd Amendment, and then go out and gouge the very people who are, to a great extent, their brothers. That's why I

called it crony capitalism. Because of the marketplace and a tragic event, and the politics involved, I would like to see a

better way to see the word "capitalism" used, instead of now. Apple stock is an example, just like any stock exposed to risk

of investment, but I take the one group who works and makes its living on the one group and literally joins hands with

national politics to rape a man's wallet in a different light.

Profit is what makes the world go around, but profit for an artificially created marketplace, like in this shooting and national

politics does not make many friends, after the fallout. My loyalty will be for people who honor traditional use of the word

capitalism, which does not mean unfair advantage, but value for value. That doesn't mean stupid people deserve a break,

just honesty. When the government is involved in the marketplace, capitalism can't thrive.

I have to add that from a pure standpoint you are right, Lester. Panic buying usually gets people to eventually realize how

dumb that was, sometime afterwards.

I understand a lot of the events going on now. I was about 20 or 21 when the first AWB came about, and remember guys going out and paying what seeamed crazy prices then. I remember when the SKS was the Mossin Nagant of the day. You could get them all day long for 99 bucks. I remember guys talking about what they paid for AR's, and I know the price after the AWB expired may have dropped some but not back to what some folks would call "normal". I feel, that is because we demonstrated that those prices were acceptable. Again, we seem to be our own worst enemy.

Now, all that being said, here is what has me completely bum-fuzzled. Why all the rush on .22????? I mean WTF???? I went to get some for Christmas gifts for a couple of guys in my family and there were none to be found. REALLY??? Is there something I am missing here?? This is .22, is there a mass influx of terrorist squirrels I don;t know about? Or a rising horde of soda cans that we as concerned citizens must be prepared to deal with??

Why all the rush on .22????? I mean WTF???? I went to get some for Christmas gifts for a couple of guys in my family and there were none to be found. REALLY??? Is there something I am missing here??

Don't forget, people do actually buy bullets along with those first .22's many boys (and now girls) get under the tree. 

Now, all that being said, here is what has me completely bum-fuzzled. Why all the rush on .22????? I mean WTF???? I went to get some for Christmas gifts for a couple of guys in my family and there were none to be found. REALLY??? Is there something I am missing here?? This is .22, is there a mass influx of terrorist squirrels I don;t know about? Or a rising horde of soda cans that we as concerned citizens must be prepared to deal with??

Heck I go through way more .22's in a years time than I probably do anything else.
Guest RevScottie
I wonder if some of the run on .22 ammo is due to the horribly inaccurate reporting concerning the CT shooting? The weapon was often described as a .22 caliber assault weapon. I guess the media just decided to round off the last number on the .223.
Guest Lester Weevils

Unfortunately, far more sinister than terrorist squirrels. It is Flying Commie Mutant Vampire Nazi Tattooed Nympho Inmate Squirrels From Mars on Crack!

http://artofmanliness.com/2010/05/26/vintage-mens-adventure-magazines/

mensadventure_03.jpg

Edited by Lester Weevils