low recoil .38 special?

Reloading setup $ 150.00

components $ 100.00 (or so per 1000 rounds)

2.5 to 2.7 grs. Bullseye behind a 148 WC

wife loving shooting   Priceless

Here's the route I went, except I'd start with 2.7. Semi wadcutters work well too if wadcutters aren't to be found.

The difference in perceived recoil between a quality defensive round and reloads wouldn’t be enough to be a factor.
For practice use WWB, they are fine.
I shot a box of 158 grain American Eagle through my new LCR last week and found it very pleasant for a 13oz revolver. I was not really asking about general practice... Just trying to find something light for my wife's first time with a revolver. She has trouble racking the slide on my semi-autos. She also likes the simplicity of the LCR. If she wants it , it will be hers. I got rid of a seldom carried gun to get it, with the thought that she'll let me borrow it for the occasional deep concealment situation. Edited by JReedEsq
Guest Fruit jar

I was reading through some old stuff here. A guy in Nashville loaded for his girlfriend some super light load 38 spl. I haven't found any new post from him.

• 2 months later...

I finally got my wife to shoot the Ruger LCR today with 130 grain green box UMC.  We have two small kids and a busy schedule so it's really hard for me to get her to the range.  I picked up the LCR with her in mind since she's intimidated by semi-autos and has a hard time racking the slide etc.. Over the last week I've worked with her a little on grip, trigger press, and sight alignment with the revolver after our kids were in bed.  I wanted to get her something she'd be comfortable with and something she might be able/willing to carry should she get a permit.  I've been a little concerned that the LCR might have too much recoil.  I'm happy to say she did well with it and she doesn't think it has any more recoil than my Glock 17 (????).  I think this is really a testament to the soft Hogue grip and the increased comfort level she has since she is comfortable loading and unloading herself.  

I finally got my wife to shoot the Ruger LCR today with 130 grain green box UMC.  We have two small kids and a busy schedule so it's really hard for me to get her to the range.  I picked up the LCR with her in mind since she's intimidated by semi-autos and has a hard time racking the slide etc.. Over the last week I've worked with her a little on grip, trigger press, and sight alignment with the revolver after our kids were in bed.  I wanted to get her something she'd be comfortable with and something she might be able/willing to carry should she get a permit.  I've been a little concerned that the LCR might have too much recoil.  I'm happy to say she did well with it and she doesn't think it has any more recoil than my Glock 17 (????).  I think this is really a testament to the soft Hogue grip and the increased comfort level she has since she is comfortable loading and unloading herself.  

Good deal.

I'm curious if you were shooting inside or outside?  My wife tried a revolver and while she complained about the recoil, I think it was the muzzle blast more than the recoil (indoor range).  I've shot a few revolvers but never a snubby before that one.  I was shocked by the muzzle blast, it seemed like more than my 3.5" barrel .45. 

My wife currently has a Smith 9mm that she shoots really well, but it's a tad big and heavy (all metal) so she's reluctant to carry it.  I'd like to find something a little smaller and the LCR is one I'd consider if I can get her past that bad first experience. 

I bought my wife an LCR. I have it in my pocket. I like it so much I carry it a lot. She's at home with the kids most days and doesn't carry so she can shoot my Colt Lawman or my loaded 9mm. I badly want to buy another LCR in .357 for myself.

@ JReedEsq - Another approach would be to change guns.  You could put some regular .38 wadcutters in a heavier .357 gun, like a 4" GP100.  The weight of the gun will eat up a significant amount of felt recoil (which is already pretty tame with .38 rounds).  Most ranges have a .357 like that to rent out, or maybe you could borrow one from a buddy.  

Or you have a great excuse to buy a big new .357.   :) 

Edit:  Guess my suggestions were a little late.

Edited by Wheelgunner

Good deal.

I'm curious if you were shooting inside or outside? My wife tried a revolver and while she complained about the recoil, I think it was the muzzle blast more than the recoil (indoor range). I've shot a few revolvers but never a snubby before that one.

We were inside, but she did use regular plugs and my electronic muffs too. The LCR isn't the easiest gun to shoot, but I find it far easier for me, than an LCP or an airweight Smith. Why? The combination of a better trigger, better front sight, and far better grip.

*Edit:  I hope I'm allowed a little room for thread drift since I started the thread. 

Edited by JReedEsq