Online Poll: What should the government do to limit the availability of firearms?

Looks like "nothing" is far in the lead.  They'll be sweeping this one under the rug.

Yeah, "Nothing" currently has 46% of the vote, more than twice the 2nd choice. So the headline tomorrow will be ... "The Majority (54%) Support Some Form of Gun Control".

• Like 2
Guest Aces&8s
Get the folks with mental & social issues off the street.

This. They left out what is, in my opinion, the best answer: institutionalize the crazies and the criminals. That is to say, enforce the laws that are already in existence.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk 2

The only thing I think should change is the enforcement of responsible gun ownership.  If you are a dumb ass and you leave a loaded Glock in the night stand and a kid gets a hold of it and an "accident" happens the person responsible for that gun should be punished heavily.   If you leave your guns laying around and you don't make a reasonable effort to prevent their theft then you should have some responsibility to the crime committed with that gun.  

If you sell a gun to a bad guy then you should be part of the crime. There needs a way for you to cheaply ($5-10) make sure the guy you are selling that gun to is legit.  This would clear the seller from any responsibility but make it optional.  That way if you buy/sell/trade with people you know you don't have to fool with it.

Restricting gun ownership, magazine ownership, or ammo won't fix anything.  The only thing that can fix this is responsibility.

The only thing I think should change is the enforcement of responsible gun ownership.  If you are a dumb ass and you leave a loaded Glock in the night stand and a kid gets a hold of it and an "accident" happens the person responsible for that gun should be punished heavily.   If you leave your guns laying around and you don't make a reasonable effort to prevent their theft then you should have some responsibility to the crime committed with that gun.  

If you sell a gun to a bad guy then you should be part of the crime. There needs a way for you to cheaply ($5-10) make sure the guy you are selling that gun to is legit.  This would clear the seller from any responsibility but make it optional.  That way if you buy/sell/trade with people you know you don't have to fool with it.

Restricting gun ownership, magazine ownership, or ammo won't fix anything.  The only thing that can fix this is responsibility.

Aren't the states the ones to make those laws???

This whole thing should be a States Rights Issue and not a Federal Issue.  Sorry to those living in the Communistic States like CA an NY but if these bans take place they should take place on a State by State basis and not at the Federal level.  Living in Tennessee I feel that I really do not have a voice in this because there isn't much I can do to vote these Nazi's out of office.

Looks like "nothing" is far in the lead.  They'll be sweeping this one under the rug.

While it is in the lead (47.5% when I looked), all the other choices are for some sort of restrictions and if you add them all together you beat "nothing". We need to get it above 50%.

What suprised me is how many voted (14.9%) to amend the second amendment.

While it is in the lead (47.5% when I looked), all the other choices are for some sort of restrictions and if you add them all together you beat "nothing". We need to get it above 50%.

What suprised me is how many voted (14.9%) to amend the second amendment.

No we don't. This will  all be decided by a much smaller group.

If you leave your guns laying around and you don't make a reasonable effort to prevent their theft then you should have some responsibility to the crime committed with that gun.  
So if a thief steals my gun and commits a crime you want to put me in jail?
Restricting gun ownership, magazine ownership, or ammo won't fix anything. The only thing that can fix this is responsibility.
But you want to hold me responsible for someone else committing a crime? Edited by DaveTN
  • Like 1

"So if a thief steals my gun and commits a crime you want to put me in jail?" - DaveTN

In a nutshell, yes.  Maybe you don't value your guns like I do but I try my best to keep them from being stolen.  I know that my safe and other measures does not make them 100% theft proof but I do think I've done everything possible to prevent their theft.   Following such a simple rule would have the mess we are in now.   

In a nutshell, yes.  Maybe you don't value your guns like I do but I try my best to keep them from being stolen.  I know that my safe and other measures does not make them 100% theft proof but I do think I've done everything possible to prevent their theft.  
I keep a gun in my car. I lock my car when I get out. I have firearms in my house. I lock my doors when I leave. Getting my guns would require forcible entry and a criminal act. But apparently if the level of force doesn’t rise to that of breaking into a safe…. You think I’m a criminal. Sorry I disagree.

Absolutely you value your guns more than I do. I would rather my gun was stolen than my laptop; costs less and is easier to replace.
Following such a simple rule would have the mess we are in now.
You don’t know that. If I’m going to kill someone, I think it reasonable to assume I could make them open their safe.
We are in the mess we are in now because a mentally ill monster decided to kill a bunch of kids.
  • Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I keep a gun in my car. I lock my car when I get out. I have firearms in my house. I lock my doors when I leave. Getting my guns would require forcible entry and a criminal act. But apparently if the level of force doesn’t rise to that of breaking into a safe…. You think I’m a criminal. Sorry I disagree.

Gotta agree with Dave here. I lock my vehicle ( even if I'm just getting out & running into the house for something,

and back ) & my house. I can't afford a safe that would hold up to an attack by a thief.

A gun in a safe isn't going to do me much good while I'm fiddling with a combination, etc. I had a daughter,

whom I taught to leave things alone. Never encountered a problem. The kid wasn't a mental case either.

Prevention can only be carried so far. Most insurance has a deductible. The mother in Conn, bought the guns

knowing this guys elevator didn't reach the top, but did it anyway, instead of getting the guy help or institutionalized.

Nothing is going to fix this 100%.

"So if a thief steals my gun and commits a crime you want to put me in jail?" - DaveTN

In a nutshell, yes.  Maybe you don't value your guns like I do but I try my best to keep them from being stolen.  I know that my safe and other measures does not make them 100% theft proof but I do think I've done everything possible to prevent their theft.   Following such a simple rule would have the mess we are in now.   

So you think "trying my best", using your own words, means that you should be imprisoned, also. For a crime you didn't commit.

Think that one through, a couple of times. DaveTN was right. Ain't any convenient nutshells for that.

Happens I know a little about safes.  The average gun safe can be opened in about 20 minutes.  The best of them can be opened in under an hour.  So you might want to find a police armory to store your weapons - that would be your best effort, right?

Get all the guns off 'the street' (out of civilian hands) and you'll still have criminals committing crimes with guns.*

Get all the criminals (and insane) off the street, and you can't have gun crimes.  (Attributed to Jeff Cooper)

As someone else said, gun control is predicated on two faulty ideas.

That law abiding people cannot be trusted to obey the law and not shoot innocents

That criminals and the insane can be trusted to obey the law and not use firearms

*Want proof? Ref. Britain, Australia, and a bakers dozen of european countries with super strict firearms laws.  Yet gun crimes are still occurring.

Edited by Mark@Sea

Responsibility for a crime lies with the criminal. Dave is 100% right on this. If my car is locked or house is locked and someone comes in and takes my gun because it was in the coffee table drawer and not my safe, I should be charged? Son, pass me some of the righteous shit you're smoking on.

• Like 1