FYI - Ten gun bills introduced on first day of 2013 Congress

IMO, lots of "nibble bills",  to suit what they perceive their constituencies to favor, but mostly to keep the "gun control" issue in the news period.

If both chambers do get around to bandying some bill back and forth, it will be the Big Kahuna of whatever FiendStein's thing turns into -- it has the legs because it has the press.

Now that I think about it, has her bill actually been submitted to committee as she said it would be? Haven't seen a verbatim copy yet.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
I wonder how much traction the common since approach will get....

-----------quote--------
Two freshman Republicans introduced contrary bills that would end federal law requiring that areas around schools be designated as "gun free zones." These bills, H.R. 35 from Rep. Steve Stockman (R-Texas) and H.R. 133 from Rep. Thomas Massie (R-Ky.), are a response to findings that violence in and around schools has increased since the gun free zone law took effect in 1990.

"By disarming qualified citizens and officials in schools we have created a dangerous situation for our children," Stockman said. "In the 22 years before enactment of 'gun free school zones' there were two mass school shootings.

"In the 22 years since enactment of 'gun free schools' there have been 10 mass school shootings," he added. "Not only has the bill utterly failed to protect our children it appears to have placed them in danger."

Read more: http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/house/275587-10-gun-bills-introduced-in-first-day-of-the-house#ixzz2H3XzVnN7
------------quote-----------
  • Like 1
"And Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee (D-Texas) proposed H.R. 65, which would raise the eligibility age to carry a handgun from 18 to 21." Isn't this already the law? I assumed if you had to be 21 to buy a hand gun you had to be 21 to posess hand gun.
 I assumed if you had to be 21 to buy a hand gun you had to be 21 to posess hand gun.

That's the problem with assumptions.  They are usually wrong.

In this state you can own a handgun if you are over 18.  You cannot buy one from a dealer but you can through a private sale.  You cannot get a permit to carry one until 21.

Clear as mud ain't it?

"And Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee (D-Texas) proposed H.R. 65, which would raise the eligibility age to carry a handgun from 18 to 21." Isn't this already the law? I assumed if you had to be 21 to buy a hand gun you had to be 21 to posess hand gun.

Some states, you can open carry a handgun at 14,16,17, or with no age specified.

MANY states allow it at 18.

There is no federal law about age limits on private sales or gifts of firearms, that is all determined by states' laws.

- OS

The day that the Democrats get control of both houses one or more of these bills will pass, and they will get control at some point. 

Those who forget the past are destined to repeat it.

They've forgotten what a pasting they took in the midterm elections the last time they imposed gun control.

Those who forget the past are destined to repeat it.

They've forgotten what a pasting they took in the midterm elections the last time they imposed gun control.

I just don't know if the Dems would face the same % of purging from their constituencies this time around.

I still felt I knew a bit about this country 18 years ago, but now, not so much.

Polling is much better now, and will determine each pol's "conscience".

- OS

I just don't know if the Dems would face the same % of purging from their constituencies this time around.

I still felt I knew a bit about this country 18 years ago, but now, not so much.

Polling is much better now, and will determine each pol's "conscience".

- OS

They'll crank up the hysteria machine again when the time comes. The may need another killin'. I wonder how many Bushmasters Obama bought, anyway. :tinfoil: