Holographic options for AR

Used Eotech's can be found for pretty cheap, especially the 512 model.  I know a benefactor here on TGO that mentioned he was selling some EOTechs so pm me for his information if you go that way.  I like "red dots" such as aimpoints though due to the battery life. I didn't want to open up my rifle bag and find my optic dead because i left it on, and i surely don't want to try and replace the battery on scene.  The PRO has a 3 year battery life if left on and the t-1 will last 5 years if left on continuously.

The PRO is a little big for some, but it has a built-in mount that "cowitnesses" or aligns perfectly to your iron sights.  The T-1 also has a built-in mount and is super small.  I started with the PRO model and later upgraded to a T-1, but most people will be happy with the PRO.  LEO Pricing on the t-1 is $530 otherwise its $650, and the PRO sells for $350 LEO or $400 normal pricing.

Edited by alwaysonjohn
  • Admin Team

When it comes to holographic sights, it's pretty much EOTech and "looks like an EOTech".  There is a real difference both in performance and longevity of the sight.  Since an EOTech uses holographic technology, if you can see any part of the window, then you can see the recticle.  That's important.  There are plenty of imitators, but they're pretty much just plain old red dots in a different housing.

However, if you've not used one before, it's worth finding someone who has one and trying one out.  They're not for everyone.

That said, I love mine.

• Like 1
Eotech's sit atop my rifles for a reason, that reason is because the recticle's 65moa outer ring makes target aquisition very quick, much quicker than plain single dot recticles, especially important when/if you are engaging fast moving targets like yotes.

Aimpoints do have the advantage of battery life, but I keep several spare lithium CR123 batteries in my AR's pistol grip storage compartment so I will never run out of juice, even in an extended emergency situation.
I'll break with the pack here. I've used EOTechs extensively. I haven't found anything more comfortable for clear and quick sight acquisition than the C-More red dot. If you get one sans rear iron sight you can put it on anything. After that, I haven't seen anything close to EOTechs with the exception of the Aimpoint micro dots.
  • 7 months later...

i am also looking at sights. i tried a eotech xps3 when i bought my rifle and liked it but when looking online, there are so many different options for eotechs. can someone give me a run down or guide me in the right direction. 

also, i found this site after reading one of the above posts

https://www.primaryarms.com/EoTech-Red-Dot-Sights-s/905.htm

are the magnifiers that come with them any count. this site seems to have good prices with a free magnifier

Aimpoint PRO is $400 just about everywhere.  It's got a battery life that...well, let's just say your replacement battery won't be made for several more months, if not longer. 

The PRO's dot is 2MOA, and you can crank up the brightness to make the dot seem bigger if needed.  It'll work forever with minimal care.

No brainer here.

^^ Please tell me you and that GI Joe character look just alike??  :rofl:

I'm an Aimpoint person but can't say enough about the Eotech....like most people, we've tried them all and these two seem to be the best for their own reasons. Can't go wrong with either one.

Thanks TGO David......I'm interested in the OPMod now........gona have to check them out.

• Like 1

Aimpoint and Eotech are the yardstick by which all other sights are measured. That being said, I decided to go with Sightmark for my AR because I got a holographic sight and 3x magnifier for less than the cost of an Eotech. If I was going into battle and my life depended on it, Eotech would be on my rifle. Since only my score punching holes in paper and cardboard depend on it I am comfortable with a much more economic model. YMMV. 

I had read before that holographic sights, like eotechs, can be a pain to use if you have astigmatism. Well i confirmed this when my neighbor got one for his rifle a while back and i got to shoulder the rifle and look down the sights. My astigmatism might be worse than some people's, but i could hardly look down the sight at all because of all the "starbursting" i think they call it.

But thats my problem, not one with the sights. I just cant personally use them, unfortunately.

Edited by reed1285

I had read before that holographic sights, like eotechs, can be a pain to use if you have astigmatism. Well i confirmed this when my neighbor got one for his rifle a while back and i got to shoulder the rifle and look down the sights. My astigmatism might be worse than some people's, but i could hardly look down the sight at all because of all the "starburting" i think they call it.

But thats my problem, not one with the sights. I just cant personally use them, unfortunately.

I have some of that with a single dot, but not with the circle dot on the Eotech. Try one before you write it off.

i am also looking at sights. i tried a eotech xps3 when i bought my rifle and liked it but when looking online, there are so many different options for eotechs. can someone give me a run down or guide me in the right direction. 

also, i found this site after reading one of the above posts

https://www.primaryarms.com/EoTech-Red-Dot-Sights-s/905.htm

are the magnifiers that come with them any count. this site seems to have good prices with a free magnifier

Basic differences in the EOtechs are what batteries they use. The smaller ones like the XPS use a single cross mounted CR123. Most use two CR123's The cheapest and my favorite, 512, uses two AA batteries. Battery life is less on the single battery versions compared to the double battery version and about the same on double battery versions, both AA and CR123. The other options are reticles and Night vision compatible. Almost all of them use the 65 MOA circle with at least one red dot. Then they have 2 and 3 dot versions that allow for holdover. Night vision just allows you to lower the power setting below 0 to allow you to use night vision goggles or an attachment. It does not have built in night vision. 

Guest Lester Weevils

I have a couple of the older Eotech's which use dual N batteries. Love the sights. My favorite kind. But if I leave batts in them, turned off in the safe, in a month the batteries are drained and possibly leaking. So it is a slight annoyance to have to remember to insert batts before range time, and then remove batts after range time.

The N battery units apparently had the worst quiescent battery draining effect, and AFAIK it isn't a big problem with newer models.

Have thought about putting some kind of master switch on em, so I could safely keep em loaded with batts. The batt compartment is purt compact so there isn't much room for modifications. Maybe buy replacement battery covers to do surgery on, so that unsuccessful experiments wouldn't deface the sight.

Be really careful of buying used or super-cheap new EOTech or Aimpoint scopes. There's a few Chinese companies that don't worry about going down for making visually accurate knock-offs down to trademark lettering and packaging. China doesn't respect patents or trademarks. The scopes look legit, but suck. Biggest give away is if the scope can select between a green or a red dot. Both companies list on their websites ways to spot a fake and both companies insist they never made a scope with a green dot.