The South vs The Rest of the Country

Guest TNSovereignty

Guest TNSovereignty

Not much good comes from the LA Times, but they recognize the polarization between the South & "conservative" Republicans in other parts of the country.  We need to be very watchful/wary of Governor Christie & those of his ilk.  

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-gop-analysis-20130106,0,787706.story

We certainly don't want CW2 but we sure are looking polarized, much as we did in the mid-19th century.  

The civil war is over. You take on the “South” vs. “North” non-sense and you will help give Obama the destruction of this country he so desperately wants.

We have to live through this President and the next four years. Don't give him what he wants.

• Like 1

Don't let the lame stream media convince you that something is true just because they say so. This is bull and here's the proof in their own words.

That regional split became evident when members of the House of Representatives cast votes last week on a budget deal designed to avoid massive tax hikes and spending cuts: Almost 90% of Southern Republicans voted against the "fiscal-cliff" compromise. At the same time, a majority of Republican representatives from outside the South supported the deal, which was approved in large part because of overwhelming Democratic support.

"Almost 90% of Southern Republicans" that means over 10 percent didn't.

"At the same time, a majority of Republican representatives from outside the South..." in one instance they quote a number, in the next example they don't. That tells you that quoting numbers both times would make it look like their point is invalid.

If they said 89 percent of Southern Republicans voted against it while only 49 percent of non-Southern Republicans did so, it wouldn't look like such a divide. The argument would fall apart even more if they included the Senate votes. Their are no "geographic schisms" only philosophical ones.

If they were right, Alexander and Corker wouldn't be our Senators, we'd have decent ones instead.

There is a split, for certain.  But it's not North v South.  The split is between those who actually provide for their own food, shelter, healthcare, etc, and those who take those things from government.  If you are dependent on government assistance, then you are on the side of Obama and the Democrats.  Protest all you like that you are not supporting them, but if you vote for ANY kind of entitlements, then you are their creature.

That is mostly what the whole Tea Party movement is about.  Unfortunately, we are already at the point where too many people will vote to continue to get entitlements.  That's why Obama won.

• Like 4

That is mostly what the whole Tea Party movement is about.  Unfortunately, we are already at the point where too many people will vote to continue to get entitlements.  That's why Obama won.

That’s exactly why he won and now he is going to try to give the illegals legal status which means he will try to let them vote. If that happens the working people, especially the republicans, will never get another President elected. I’m not even sure we can again anyway.

That’s exactly why he won and now he is going to try to give the illegals legal status which means he will try to let them vote. If that happens the working people, especially the republicans, will never get another President elected. I’m not even sure we can again anyway.

If they keep it up there wont be a country left to elect a president for. Financially, when you are spending more than you are making/ bringing in, it will crash sooner or later. And we are far past the sooner stage.
  • Like 1

Actually, I do see a split in the Republican Party, but not North-South, Northeast - Rest of the US. To my mind it's increasingly evident that NE Republicans are moving more left of center.  Christy is a prime example.  I would not be at all surprised to see him go Independent like Angus King did.  Now he is caucusing with the Democrats.  I think if that happens, you could see a several others do something like this, like Scott Brown, for instance.  Personally, I think most people in the Northeast and on the West Coast, no longer share our values anymore. And Washington DC is trying to drags along with them.  Our own two Senators are not helping matters much.

Guest 6.8 AR

There are conservatives in the northeast, but Christie isn't one of them. Never was. The two senators from Maine are

liberal Republicans. Only way they get elected up there. Our two just end up being hypocrites, joining the crowd. Scott

Brown didn't last long, even for a liberal Republican. Other than that, it is hard for me to call any of them conservative

when the country is being run without a budget.

What matters is the mob rule that happened when the welfare recipients got so high in number that gets the welfare

givers what they want, to maintain their perpetual status. Watch out when the money runs out!

That Times article doesn't mean anything other than more trash clogging the internet for someone to digest incorrectly.

There is something to the "people who take care of themselves" part. That's the focus of the government to be the next

thing to break over their knee.

I don't know much about a north/south divide.  The problem we are facing is much deeper than that.  The problem is that the vast majority our citizens have their lives subsidized by an overly large federal government.  They are subsidized either directly through entitlements, or indirectly because their employer/industry relies heavily on government contracts. 

If the federal government worked solely within the confines of the constitution and their enumerated powers, you would have a massive amount of people would be unemployed.  How large is the defense/military industrial complex?  How many federal employees would be out of work because they work in an unnecessary government department?  How many people are in the legal profession because of how many stupid laws we have in this country?  How many other businesses exist because the majority of their sales rely on government contracts?  Heck, look at the new shows, political talk radio, and politico-celebrity talking heads who make millions writing political books and having their face on tv.  If the government was smaller and doing only what it is supposed to be doing (including minding it's own business in foreign affairs), they would be out of a job.

There are just too many people that are dependent on a large federal government, and they would resist any change that would shrink it significantly.  Therefore, we are well past the point of no return.  It is just a matter of time when entire system crashes.

North vs South isn't at play today. In my opinion, there are a few problems. Some you will agree with, and some all of you won't agree with.

1) There have become enough moochers in our society so that they are able to vote themselves free stuff and charge it to the producers.

2) Very few people today give a damn about anything beyond their own immediate wants and needs.

3) With the advent of computers and computerized devices/cell phones, we, as a society, have lost the art of person to person conversation.

4) Here's the one that'll stir up a stink: We as a country have largely turned our backs on God. We can't expect his continued blessings if we don't attempt to serve him.

There are other problems of course, but I feel these four things are the reason for our impending downfall as a nation.

• Like 3

North vs South isn't at play today. In my opinion, there are a few problems. Some you will agree with, and some all of you won't agree with.

1) There have become enough moochers in our society so that they are able to vote themselves free stuff and charge it to the producers.

2) Very few people today give a damn about anything beyond their own immediate wants and needs.

3) With the advent of computers and computerized devices/cell phones, we, as a society, have lost the art of person to person conversation.

4) Here's the one that'll stir up a stink: We as a country have largely turned our backs on God. We can't expect his continued blessings if we don't attempt to serve him.

There are other problems of course, but I feel these four things are the reason for our impending downfall as a nation.

Amen brother!

You hit the nail on the head on all accounts.

Here's the one that'll stir up a stink: We as a country have largely turned our backs on God. We can't expect his continued blessings if we don't attempt to serve him.

I agree 100%. Our founding Fathers never intended “Separation of Church and State” to mean what it has become today.

This country was built on Christian values. Fewer Americans today have any type of religion and when you don’t have religion you can justify anything; up to an including turning your back on your family and your country.
  • Like 1

Great post Greg. Last week my step dad tried to tell me that Ohio had the most electoral votes in the country. It's funny considering he doesn't even vote.

Everyone in the room looked at me like I had a third eye when I tried to educate them on the electoral college. Out of 6 adults in the room only 2 people voted in this last election, my mother and myself. My GF, brother, SIL and step dad did not vote and they all thought Ohio had the most electoral votes. 

Most Americans would rather watch Twilight and read about who their favorite celebrity is screwing rather than get involved in the issues. 

• Like 2
Guest TNSovereignty

Interesting comments.  Probably a poor choice of words in titling this post ... understandably not as simple as North vs South.  Anyone who's traveled the country would recognize other states that are aligned w/ the southern states on constitutional principles.  As an example, I'd say Wyoming is more consistently liberty-loving (& God-fearing) than Tennessee.  Alaska, Idaho, South Dakota ... and other candidates that are onboard with basic conservative principles.  Even Vermont has better gun laws than Tennessee (what an embarrassment).

All that said, anyone who is ignoring the very evident demographic divide that's taking place better wake up.  If you haven't been into NYC, LA, Chicago or Detroit in the last decade then it may be hard to fathom the drastic changes that are taking place in our urban centers that drive so much of state politics.  I'm comfortably ensconced on my TN farm & sometimes like to live my days in ignorant bliss.  But then I think about the America my grandchildren will have in 3 decades.  So OK ... it ain't as simple as the south vs everyone else - roger, noted.  But the south DOES have a manifestly different culture, a different value system, and therefore a different viewpoint on good policy vs inherently bad policy.  A quick review of the last few electoral maps points out evident fractures in our republic ... these fractures are not merely political.  We once were a republic of united states - immigrant cultures "melted" into our distinctly American culture.  However, we've devolved into a rather unstable, multicultural empire.  Study up on nations with relatively homogenous cultures - they thrive.  Then contrast against multicultural empires - they're in the ashbin of history.  

You're close. Instead of North vs South, however, try Large Urban vs Rural. I've found that in most parts of the country, rural people widely share the same basic values. These are foreign to most living a large urban area, such as D.C., New York City, Los Angeles, Detroit, Chicago, etc. This is one reason I believe the constitution and amendments were very assertive in limiting the scope of the federal government.

What may work for a couple in a downtown apartment may not be a good fit for a logger or cattle rancher far away from organized society.

• Like 1

However, we've devolved into a rather unstable, multicultural empire.  Study up on nations with relatively homogenous cultures - they thrive.  Then contrast against multicultural empires - they're in the ashbin of history.  

Balkanized.
Guest TNSovereignty

That Times article doesn't mean anything other than more trash clogging the internet for someone to digest incorrectly.

I hear you.  It's good to see what the opposition is writing/reading.  And sometimes a boob reporter will accidentally report a relevant fact that contains a kernel of truth ... that's what I think this article does.