I might have just gotten blown

Guest GUTTERbOY

Guest GUTTERbOY

For those who don't know my work situation, I'm with a small group of web developers and designers, working out of a basement for the moment at my boss's house. Now, in the times I've had discussions with this guy, I've noticed that he seems to be pretty leftward-leaning. He grew up in Cali, went to Berkeley, and has spoken highly of Berkeley. (alarm bells!!!)

We've never discussed guns or anything along those lines at all, so I don't really know where he stands on that issue. But since I do work out of his house, I've been a little leery of just how things might go down if I got made and he took a dim view of the situation. Another thing about this guy that increased my level of leeriness is that he's the kind of guy that will hug you and pat you on the back- very physical about stuff, you know.

Fast-forward to today. He's sitting across the table from me and gets curious about how one of my projects is coming along. He pulls it up, and I walk over to show stuff to him. If I had thought about it, I would have stood to his left, so my gun side would have been away, but I didn't. Lesson learned.

Anyway, he's all sorts of excited about how the project is looking, and so he reaches back with his left hand to pat my hip. You know, right where there's a big lump of Springfield Armory. I sort of deflected his hit downward a little, but he had to have patted the muzzle of that thing.

:D

If he felt anything that he thought was unusual, he didn't say anything about it to me. But I just about crapped a communion wafer.

Clearly, I should be thinking more about positioning my weapon side away from people.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those who don't know my work situation, I'm with a small group of web developers and designers, working out of a basement for the moment at my boss's house. Now, in the times I've had discussions with this guy, I've noticed that he seems to be pretty leftward-leaning. He grew up in Cali, went to Berkeley, and has spoken highly of Berkeley. (alarm bells!!!)

We've never discussed guns or anything along those lines at all, so I don't really know where he stands on that issue. But since I do work out of his house, I've been a little leery of just how things might go down if I got made and he took a dim view of the situation. Another thing about this guy that increased my level of leeriness is that he's the kind of guy that will hug you and pat you on the back- very physical about stuff, you know.

Fast-forward to today. He's sitting across the table from me and gets curious about how one of my projects is coming along. He pulls it up, and I walk over to show stuff to him. If I had thought about it, I would have stood to his left, so my gun side would have been away, but I didn't. Lesson learned.

Anyway, he's all sorts of excited about how the project is looking, and so he reaches back with his left hand to pat my hip. You know, right where there's a big lump of Springfield Armory. I sort of deflected his hit downward a little, but he had to have patted the muzzle of that thing.

If he felt anything that he thought was unusual, he didn't say anything about it to me. But I just about crapped a communion wafer.

Clearly, I should be thinking more about positioning my weapon side away from people.

Man that sucks. Hope he just blows it off as a letherman or something.

Guest db99wj
"Cell phone."

"Pager."

"Multi-tool."

"Insulin pump."

"Springfield Armory XD Series, 9mm, 16 rounds. Wanna go shoot sometime?"

Exactly!

Guest GUTTERbOY
"Cell phone."

"Pager."

"Multi-tool."

"Insulin pump."

"Springfield Armory XD Series, 9mm, 16 rounds. Wanna go shoot sometime?"

Meh, if he had asked what it was, I would have told him. I'm not going to lie about carrying like it's something to be ashamed of, and if he were to make a big issue out of it- well, that's his problem, not mine.

I don't advertise the fact that I carry, but I don't treat it like I have leprosy, either. It's just a fact of life, like making regular bathroom visits.

Oh, and it's a .40, so only 13 rounds for me. :)

I think the main EEK out of this was the surprise that after a few years of carry, during which I've deflected plenty of hugs and not been blown, that something as unexpected as this might have done the deed.

Guest GUTTERbOY
Hmmm...man hugs, pats on the hip,....is the title of this thread really refering to the concealed pistol? :ugh:

If you wanna go out, just say so. :ugh:

I suggest going with one of the suggestions (cell phone, leatherman, etc), and showing up to work one day with tucked in shirt, and the item prominently visible on the hip in question. Position yourself the same way as before, and bump in to him. For him, mystery solved.

Yes.

Although I have to say the times when I've gotten blown I am pretty certain it's happened.

Except that one night in Toledo.....

DAMMIT BILL! Do you have any idea at all how much it hurts to literally blow root beer out your nose?!

Geez! Funny stuff, but give us a warning my man!

Guest nraforlife

This is why I am a big fan of the concealment undershirts. Sure the draw is slow BUT my gun is generally always with me and nobody knows.

Yes.

Although I have to say the times when I've gotten blown I am pretty certain it's happened.

Except that one night in Toledo.....

I've gotta start checking this forum more often. Someone always gets these responses before me :ugh: