walmart and ammo

And a 30 years ago they were probably $5/100. :/

As much as I'd love to walk into a store and demand they sell ammo to me at the price I paid yesteryear, it simply isn't going to happen. It is October 18th, 2013. $25.xx per 100 rds of brass cased factory new jacketed bullet 9mm is within a dollar or two of the best price you can find anywhere, be it brick and mortar or online. I don't like gas over $3/gallon... heck I don't like it over 50¢ a gallon. But, if I want my fancy 325 hp AWD sports sedan to move without me getting behind and grunting, I buy the stuff.

And yes, I still have plenty of boxes of WWB 9mm from when it was $17/100... I also make the stuff myself for about $12/100. I am a bit of a prepper/hoarder, but I don't mind being nice enough to take the time out of my day to share the scores and honey holes when I find them. I think we are close to the bottom which will become the new norm for most ammo prices. I think 223/556 and of course, 22lr as supplies return, still have a bit further to fall. We might see general handgun ammo fall maybe 5-10% more at the major retailer levels, but I can't imagine much more than that. Small retailers (LGSs) will eventually come back to reality once the majors have continuous supply, erasing the portion of the market willing to pay $30/50rd of 9mm (like I saw at one place today) simply because they have more money than sense/time to search for it.

Fuss about prices of the past all you want, but that's what they are - past.
I totally agree musicman. I pulled a box of umc 45acp from my shelf the other day that was $7.99 when I bought it 10 years ago. Yes, just 10 years ago! You could walk into Dick's and get 45 for $7.99 and 9mm for $5.99. I figure either stop complaining and get shooting, or sell it all and take up a new hobby like rock collecting. That's cheap.

It has been a steady decline in the value of the dollar. If it were backed by something that was actually worth something( not the government's word), we could see prices on everything go down. Printing more money dosen't help us, it actually hurts us.

I miss the days of $1.00 gas, I actually would settle for $2.00 a gal gas. But like it or not, everything is gonna go up from now on. Unless something changes. Talking real change here, not this hope and change bull crap the "Big O" has been spouting.

• Like 1

Walmart in Crossville had 6-9 boxes of both. American Eagle brand.

Just about every Walmart here in Memphis that I've been to in the last week has had the 150 round and 120 round boxes of 223/5.56. Ive also been seeing .22 LR pretty regularly at Walmart the last couple of weeks. The only problem is it's 50 round boxes. I can get 3 50 round boxes of .22 or 3 120 round boxes of 223. They should, at least let you have 5 of the 22. But I did get lucky and grab 2 333 round boxes of 22 sunday morning at about 9:30. I felt like I hit the jackpot. There was 4 boxes there, thought I would leave 2 boxes for the next person.

Edited by jbravo

We all know prices are only going up, but $6 increase in 10 months? I'm not buying it.

Not just a $5 or $6 increase but a $5 or $6 increase on an item that was previously $10 or so.  That means the item now costs 150% what it cost last year (a 50% price increase.)  A $5 or $6 increase in a year's time on an item that previously cost around $75 or so would be understandable but that same amount of increase on something that previously cost $10?  Not so much.

Edited by JAB

In many instances quality too. I prefer European 9mm over say Remington or WWB.

About a week ago, I decided that it had been too long since I practiced with my Ruger P95 so I grabbed a partial box of Blazer, a box of Tula (steel cased), a couple of paper targets and hit the back yard.  Both functioned fine.  This was the first Tula 9mm Luger I have shot so I was interested to see how it would do.  It had that 'odd' smell that Russian and similar ammo often has but it also seemed a little 'stouter' and I shot it a little more accurately.  I saw some of it at a local Wally the other day and it was priced at about what the Federal/Blazer stuff was priced last year (around $10 per 50.)  I imagine that as long as Tula is available at that price it will henceforth be my 'on hand supply' 9mm practice ammo of choice.

...I imagine that as long as Tula is available at that price it will henceforth be my 'on hand supply' 9mm practice ammo of choice.

But OMG it will trash your extractor, ruin your barrel, and destroy all your steel targets while also ricocheting for 8 miles!

- OS

But OMG it will trash your extractor, ruin your barrel, and destroy all your steel targets while also ricocheting for 8 miles!

- OS

:)  I'm generally too broke to have anything so nice as steel targets.  They sure do a number on paper ones, though.  As for trashing the gun, that is one of my favorite things about my P95s.  While some, other companies warn against using steel cased ammo, etc. as if such ammo will cause their pistols to crumble to dust upon the first shot, the Ruger P95 manual has this to say:

The Ruger P-Series pistols are compatible with all factory ammunition loaded to U.S. Industry Standards, including high-velocity and hollow-point loads, loaded in brass, aluminum, or steel cartridge cases. No 9mm x 19 ammunition manufactured in accordance with NATO, U.S., SAAMI, or CIP standards is known to be beyond the design limits or known not to function in these pistols.

Edited by JAB
Guest ThePunisher
I bought 2 boxes of 1,000 rd. Winchester M-22 .22lr for $49.97 each at Rivergate Wally tonight. Probably won't need anymore .22lr for awhile. But you can't ever get enough .22's.

I bought 2 boxes of 1,000 rd. Winchester M-22 .22lr for $49.97 each at Rivergate Wally tonight. Probably won't need anymore .22lr for awhile. But you can't ever get enough .22's.

I haven't seen the M-22 for a year. My 22 conversion for the AR loves that stuff. Edited by zgunbear

We have been getting 9mm in Tullammo ( brass cased) 100 round plastic round cases. Made in Bonsia and Herzegovina.  Probably Fiocci.    Bought a box last night on lunch and a Box of Winchester 100 round for my .40 

Ammo is slowly coming back.  

No truck tonight, so any of you headed to Manchester, I saved you a trip.