walmart and ammo

That's ridiculous. If prices and supply don't get better I'll be finding a new hobby.

I already have, i work for so little now, I cannot afford to shoot for a while.  Might just have to get back into my cheaper hobbies.

That's ridiculous. If prices and supply don't get better I'll be finding a new hobby.

Better start looking.

I blew through 500 rounds of 5.45 through the SGL-31 yesterday...I feel awful now. That's nearly $100 in ammo right now. Used to be about $50 or $60 :(

Well unless you have a unlimited supply of ammo or very deep pockets, the days of going to the range and blowing up 500-1000 rounds are over, at least for me. I have changed my shooting habits since this shortage. If I'm shooting my AR or AK I use 20 round mags. or just half load the high capacity ones. I do the same with any semi-auto hand guns. I have also been using my bolt action and wheel guns a lot more, anything to slow down my rate of fire. I can spend a afternoon at the range, have a good time and only go through a 100-150 rounds. Well anyway, it works for me. :pleased:

We got in 9mm, .40 cal and 45 cal. FMJ. And have .22 magnum if anyone needs any.

When I left at 1:45 this morning( AM) i noticed one box of 9mm left, one box of .40 and a couple boxes of 45 left. Plenty of the CCI magnums left though. They will all be gone tomorrow though.

Unloaded 2 trucks tonight and only recieved 4 boxes of ammo. One was shotgun ammo so it really didn't count. So Ammo is slowly trickling in. Just you have to be at the right time and place to buy it.

Walmart in Antioch, mBoro Rd, yesterday had some .223 > $13 a box.. some tula .45, got a picture, but I'm sure it's gone by now.. BTW, no ammo sales before 7a and after 10p..  Shooting habit has stopped since the crisis, didn't really prepare for it, other than .30 carbine, 9mm, .45. Slowly picking up 12ga slug and 00, and working on 5.56.. But shooting time is slow, if not existent at the moment.. 

Edited by Joseg

We got in 9mm, .40 cal and 45 cal. FMJ. And have .22 magnum if anyone needs any.

When I left at 1:45 this morning( AM) i noticed one box of 9mm left, one box of .40 and a couple boxes of 45 left. Plenty of the CCI magnums left though. They will all be gone tomorrow though.

Unloaded 2 trucks tonight and only recieved 4 boxes of ammo. One was shotgun ammo so it really didn't count. So Ammo is slowly trickling in. Just you have to be at the right time and place to buy it.

Yeah, I really don't understand why .22 WMR is so hard to find.  I mean, I think highly of the round but didn't realize so many others apparently do, as well. 

Yeah, I really don't understand why .22 WMR is so hard to find.  I mean, I think highly of the round but didn't realize so many others apparently do, as well. 

I think some people buy it thinking it's .22lr.  I was in Wallyworld and they had a sign up saying ".22 Hornet and Magnum are not the same as .22 LR."

I suspect it may have to do with the fact that it's NOT that popular when compared to other calibers. In the current ammo environment, I would imagine that manufacturers are concentrating their efforts on the most popular calibers in order to catch up.... as a result, more materials, tooling, and labor resources are allocated to make more .22LR, 9mm, .380, .45ACP, 7.62, 5.56,  etc...  This leaves some of the less popular calibers lacking in availability.

I suspect it may have to do with the fact that it's NOT that popular when compared to other calibers. In the current ammo environment, I would imagine that manufacturers are concentrating their efforts on the most popular calibers in order to catch up.... as a result, more materials, tooling, and labor resources are allocated to make more .22LR, 9mm, .380, .45ACP, 7.62, 5.56,  etc...  This leaves some of the less popular calibers lacking in availability.

That may well be part of it, probably is in fact, but I was in the Madisonville Walmart about a week or so ago and the lady at the counter said, "We had some .22 Magnums up until about 45 minutes ago.  We got quite a few boxes but they went quick."

I think some people buy it thinking it's .22lr.  I was in Wallyworld and they had a sign up saying ".22 Hornet and Magnum are not the same as .22 LR."

I am wondering if that may not be part of the issue, as well.  My mom has been around guns and shooting them for most of her life.  When her father passed last year, he had quite a few boxes of .22 Magnum in his stash.  I had to explain to her that she couldn't shoot those rounds in her .22LR guns.  To make matters even more confusing, she recently showed me a box of CCI Mini-Mags she got from his stash and asked, "I can't shoot those in mine, can I?"  When I told her that she could, she said, "I thought you said I couldn't shoot magnums in mine."  So I had to explain to her that the so-called 'mini mags' are slightly souped up .22LR, not really mags (I told her that, IMO, the name is more of a marketing gimmick than anything and I could see why it would be confusing.)

Edited by JAB

I think your right about manufactures concentrating on the most popular calibers but as far as 22lr go I think they are adding to the shortage. I feel they could end this shortage in a month or two if they wanted to. People out there starving for 22's don't care if they get them in 50, 100, 225, 325, 333, 500, 525, 533, 550 and 555 round boxes. Most don't care how many f/s they travel or if they are hp or rn. If they were to just start cranking out standard 22 lr in 500 round bricks and quit making designer type ammo( m-22, auto-match, tactical or any other specialty 22 lr ) for a month or 2 you would flood the market with plinking ammo and satisfy most of your customer base. But you won't see that happen, there making too much money and could care less about it.  :2cents:

I think your right about manufactures concentrating on the most popular calibers but as far as 22lr go I think they are adding to the shortage. I feel they could end this shortage in a month or two if they wanted to. People out there starving for 22's don't care if they get them in 50, 100, 225, 325, 333, 500, 525, 533, 550 and 555 round boxes. Most don't care how many f/s they travel or if they are hp or rn. If they were to just start cranking out standard 22 lr in 500 round bricks and quit making designer type ammo( m-22, auto-match, tactical or any other specialty 22 lr ) for a month or 2 you would flood the market with plinking ammo and satisfy most of your customer base. But you won't see that happen, there making too much money and could care less about it.  :2cents:

I don't think I fully comprehend what you are saying.  As people don't seem to care what type of .22LR ammo they buy as long as they can find some to buy, what would be the difference, to the end market, in turning out (just for example) 50,000 Auto Match, 50,000 standard HP and 50,000 standard RN per hour or turning out 150,000 standard RN rounds per hour?  In the current market, 150,000 LR rounds is 150,000 LR rounds.  As you pointed out, it doesn't really matter what type they are and I would have to doubt that it takes any longer to make a 'premium' round than it does to make a basic one when it comes to .22LR.

Edited by JAB

I had toldmy neighbor a few weeks ago that Manchester wal-mart got some .22 in and she waited til yesterday to go get some and therewas none to be had. She wasn't aware of the high demand for .22 ammo. So for her permit class I am giving her some ammo. From my personal stash i had built up before all this nonsense.

Speaking of which, this Ammo shortage is seeming to not disappear anytime soon. Seems the more ammo sent out, the more the scalpers and hoarders get. I know as soon as my wal-mart gets ammo in it goes to the shelf, Not being stopped by guys at the doors. You have to pay for it at the sporting goods register or have an employee walk you "with your 2 box limit" to the front registers.

Compared to other rural walmarts( outside of the major cities and population centers), Fayetteville wal-mart seemed to have the better selection of ammo ( least it wasn't kept behind the counter in a locked case but behind the counter on an aisle ( locked up) but where you could see what is there. There was no hiding behind the counter.

I don't think I fully comprehend what you are saying.  As people don't seem to care what type of .22LR ammo they buy as long as they can find some to buy, what would be the difference, to the end market, in turning out (just for example) 50,000 Auto Match, 50,000 standard HP and 50,000 standard RN per hour or turning out 150,000 standard RN rounds per hour?  In the current market, 150,000 LR rounds is 150,000 LR rounds.  As you pointed out, it doesn't really matter what type they are and I would have to doubt that it takes any longer to make a 'premium' round than it does to make a basic one when it comes to .22LR.

You are right if each type of round is run off of a separate line. But if the lines have to change per type of round or type of packaging then it takes time to reconfigure the line and that means nothing is being produced. Even if your producing the same round and just change the qty per box everything has to change on the line from that point on. I guess what I'm trying to say is if you have a plant with five lines producing ten different types of 22lr and you have the same plant with five lines producing only one type the production of the plant producing only one type will be much higher. I would also think it would be faster to package 50,000 round in 500 round boxes then it would to package the same 50,000 rounds in 50 round boxes. Bottom line is, I think the manufactures could increase production if they really wanted to. But just like the gas companies, they have their hand in your pocket and there not going to let go.

Guest Wesley33

I talked with the walmart sporting goods associate on the other side of the stateline in Oak Grove, KY (just north of Clarksville) yesterday. He was super nice and basically stated that all their ammo comes in at 10:00 PM and they won't start selling it behind the counter until 0700. He said most ammo (9mm, .45, .380) is staying alot longer on the shelves than it used to be, but .22 lr is gone as soon as he starts selling it at 0700. He stated that guys (alot of them are regulars who show up a few times a week) are still showing up a 0400 and waiting around until 0700 when he starts selling the .22 ammo.

I went in around 2:30 PM and they had boxes of 9mm and .380 which is what I was looking for, but it was still over priced. I will keep shopping at Tennessee Gun Country in Clarksville as they seem to keep their ammo at a decent price when they have some in stock.

.... He stated that guys (alot of them are regulars who show up a few times a week) are still showing up a 0400 and waiting around until 0700 when he starts selling the .22 ammo.

Never heard that before. :snore:

Oh, I see you're new here, welcome aboard.

- OS

.22 lr is gone as soon as he starts selling it at 0700. He stated that guys (alot of them are regulars who show up a few times a week) are still showing up a 0400 and waiting around until 0700 when he starts selling the .22 ammo.

Never heard that before. :snore:

- OS

I had the unfortunate opportunity to stop at a Wal Mart in Destin, Florida a couple of days ago. I figured since I had to darken the door of that business that I might as well see if they had ammo.  Big shocker, the shelves were bare.  I asked the sporting goods manager who happened to be there if they had any under the counter.  He gave me exactly the same story I've gotten elsewhere.  They don't know when ammo will be delivered, but when it arrives, there are over a dozen people waiting in line to buy every single box the moment it hits the sales floor.  It's the same people every time.  

That's the story I've gotten from Academy, Gander, and local gun shops as well.  There continues to be a small number of people who are creating an artificial shortage and it's not just in Tennessee.

That's the story I've gotten from Academy, Gander, and local gun shops as well. There continues to be a small number of people who are creating an artificial shortage and it's not just in Tennessee.

Yep, and people still holler about free market this or that. It isn't a free market at all. There are a few people who are controlling this by cutting off our source and gouging. Once people stop buying from aholes with overpriced ammo they are obviously gouging, everything will go back to normal.

Yep, and people still holler about free market this or that. It isn't a free market at all. There are a few people who are controlling this by cutting off our source and gouging. Once people stop buying from aholes with overpriced ammo they are obviously gouging, everything will go back to normal.

Wait, wait, wait......I thought it was DHS that was buying all of our ammo?!? :wave:

• Like 1

Yep, and people still holler about free market this or that. It isn't a free market at all. ...

It's not a free market when there's inside collusion going on between the employees and their buddies, or with buyers giving them a kickback -- there have been enough reports of that to assume that it's widespread and not just tin foil hattery.  I think of it about the same way as insider trading, which is illegal (even though that's how many of our Congressmen get rich).

- OS

I only report it on here to what ammo we get in.

Tonight was just 12 ga and 20 ga shotgun ammo. Just the dove shot.  

The sporting goods area was sure busy tonight. Just sorry to say no ammo other than shotgun ammo to be had.

Those in whatever stores working to make a side profit on this ought to be fired and banned from working retail ever again. Makes the rest of us hard working retail workers look bad.

• Like 1