walmart and ammo

Those in whatever stores working to make a side profit on this ought to be fired and banned from working retail ever again. Makes the rest of us hard working retail workers look bad.

There was a guy on here a while back that was boasting of buying stuff with his employee discount and then selling it for a large profit.  He was surprised when it came back and bit him in the real world and he was fired.  Wanted to blame everyone else without taking responsibility for his own words/actions.  I forget the screen name though...

All these inside buyers sure must be loaded with money.

. They're selling what they buy for three and four times what it's worth. Been to Armslist in the past few months?

If it weren't true then all the stories about it being the same few people buying the ammo would be BS. Since I've already confirmed it at a couple of local stores, I would say that everyone else is probably telling the truth too.

There was a guy on here a while back that was boasting of buying stuff with his employee discount and then selling it for a large profit. He was surprised when it came back and bit him in the real world and he was fired. Wanted to blame everyone else without taking responsibility for his own words/actions. I forget the screen name though...

It was user Dubaholic. I remember because he accused me of contacting his boss. So not only was he a douche, but then he decides to make wild accusations. This is after I already warned him that he could get in trouble for his actions since other companies, like Walmart, will fire you for it. Apparently he thought that meant I could be the only person on a site with 17,000 members that would contact his work. That guy got what he deserved. F*** him.

I scored a 100 round box of 9mm last night(WWB). This is the first time I've seen FMJ 9mm at Wal-Mart in 8 months.

The cost was $25.

The Wal-Mart near me receives an BOL/inventory list for their shipments at 1300 every day but the truck is unloaed at 1830-1900. They advised me to call at 1300 and they would be able to tell me what they are receiving that night.

It worked for me yesterday.

I was at a WM yesterday and saw 4 variants of .223. The American Eagle was overpriced and had been out over 24hrs. The Winchester varmint... Didn't ask, and the Remington 50ct box had just gotten put out. Tulammo.... don't care, I don't shoot steel case. I left it all, and I hope we all start doing the same, then maybe it will be there when we need it.

I was at a WM yesterday and saw 4 variants of .223. The American Eagle was overpriced and had been out over 24hrs. The Winchester varmint... Didn't ask, and the Remington 50ct box had just gotten put out. Tulammo.... don't care, I don't shoot steel case. I left it all, and I hope we all start doing the same, then maybe it will be there when we need it.

Sorry but I figure that the best way to make sure ammo will be there when I need it is buy it when I see it (at normal prices, not from profiteers) and can afford it and then put it on the shelf at my house - where it will be when I need it (same goes for reloading supplies in the two calibers I am set up to reload - .38/.357 and .44 - albeit to a lesser degree.)  In fact, buying extra to put on the shelf is what I did during the intervening years between the last ammo shortage and this one - which is why I have ammo, if I need it (and can largely avoid the panic/desperate search for ammo.)  I don't have a huge amount, mind you - and I have certainly not been shooting anywhere near as much for the last, several months as I do during 'normal' times - but at least I have some on hand if needed.  I will agree that, once I feel I have enough of a 'cushion' on a particular caliber I don't continue to buy it just because I see it.  Luckily for me, the only ammo types in which I don't feel I have as much of a cushion as I would like are buckshot and slugs in various gauges.  Since those are more or less still available, I am concentrating on building a cushion of those until things get back to normal.  I am also shooting shotguns more, right now.

As I posted, before, I have no problem with people buying ammo when they see it, even if they aren't shooting it right away, in case they don't see any more for six months.  Buying ammo at a 'normal' price from Walmart to use in one's personal stash is far different from scalpers and profiteers buying to resell, IMO.

I am seeing slightly different ammo situations at different Walmart locations.  I am most often in the Lenoir City store and they usually don't have any handgun ammo, period.  I don't often notice much .223 (I don't own anything chambered for .223 or 5.56 so I don't pay any more than passing attention to those.)  Even in hunting rifle calibers, they usually only have .270, .243, 7mm Mag and 300 Win. Mag.  No 30-30, no 30-06, no .308, etc.

Yesterday I was in the Madisonville location and noticed that they had one 50 round box of (Federal) 9mm, two or three 50 round boxes of (Federal) .380 and one 50 round box of .380 in whatever that 'new' brand they are carrying is called, a couple of different brands of .45acp in 50 round boxes, one or two 100 round boxes of Winchester .45acp and several boxes of TulAmmo .223 along with the ammo I normally see at L.C.

I thought the presence of so much .380 was particularly 'odd' being that, during the last shortage, .380acp was the first to disappear, the last to reappear in normal amounts and the most difficult to find during the entire shortage.  This time, it seems to be one of the few handgun rounds that actually turn up here and there.  I have enough of a 'cushion' on the rounds I use that were available (don't own anything in .45 and actually stopped shooting 9mm and .380 very much even before the shortage) that I didn't buy any.  Honestly, I was hoping they would have some .22WMR in stock - I would have bought my limit on those (I have pretty much given up on finding .22LR for the time being.)

Edited by JAB
  • Like 2
Ha! No need to be sorry. Each person knows what they need.

I am of the opinion that, regardless of our philosophy on personal ammo reserves, we will all be better off if the supply chain catches up to demand. When I can help that happen, I will.

We're all connected in this. Remember the girl analogy in "A Beautiful Mind". Our ammo economy is a lot like that.

Honestly, I was hoping they would have some .22WMR in stock - I would have bought my limit on those (I have pretty much given up on finding .22LR for the time being.)

If you really need some 22 mag, Walmart in Alcoa had some yesterday. Also had some (I think) Tula .380.

They seem to have had plenty of .38 Super +p for a while. Seems like a good reason (for me) to look for a pistol chambered in that round.

If you really need some 22 mag, Walmart in Alcoa had some yesterday. Also had some (I think) Tula .380.
They seem to have had plenty of .38 Super +p for a while. Seems like a good reason (for me) to look for a pistol chambered in that round.

I used to work there as a second job. We had 3 cases or more in the gun room. I think most people get it confused for .38 special. I sold some to one guy who said it would work in his wheel gun. Idiot.

Academy in Hixson had Monarch brass 308/150gr on the shelf in the ammo section, 20 per / $15.99 no limit. Not my first choice in ammo, but I bought a 100 rounds to try out at the range next week. They also had 5 or 6 different brands of .223 and 5.56 at the check out counter, 2 box limit.

Thanks for the heads up on the .22 Mag ammo.  I'm not really 'hurting' for any, yet, but will buy it if I see it - and always hope to see it when I wander in to Wally.

I used to work there as a second job. We had 3 cases or more in the gun room. I think most people get it confused for .38 special. I sold some to one guy who said it would work in his wheel gun. Idiot.

Uh oh. I hope he didn't hurt himself.

This got me to thinking. I believe that the .38 Super is semi-rimmed. I wonder if it actually COULD be fired in a .38 Spl. or .357 Mag.

Have to compare rim thickness to see if headspace may make it a possibility.

If so, it could be really dangerous.

Uh oh. I hope he didn't hurt himself.
This got me to thinking. I believe that the .38 Super is semi-rimmed. I wonder if it actually COULD be fired in a .38 Spl. or .357 Mag.
Have to compare rim thickness to see if headspace may make it a possibility.
If so, it could be really dangerous.

Yeah, I wondered that too. I don't think it will, but I've never tried. Either way, I told him that his gun wasn't chambered for it, but the customer always knows best, right?

I got lucky last night and scored a brick of .22lr for the first time in months.

Congratulations!  I've really laid off of shooting so as to not deplete my small stash.  I have to say that the next time I find/buy a bulk pack of .22LR then one of the older bulk packs in my stash will probably be emptied pretty quickly.

There is an M&Ms commercial, shown around Christmas time, where the red M&M and the yellow peanut M&M walk in on Santa Claus as he shows up to deliver presents.  Red says, "He does exist," and passes out while Santa says, "They do exist," and also passes out.

The first time I see .22LR back on a retail store shelf at a normal price, I just might miss out on getting any.  Instead, I might say, "They do exist," and pass out - leaving others to buy the ammo before I come to.

Truck tonight had no shotshells but plenty of Handgun ammo and Rifle ammo. Even the "Unicorn" .22lr in both Federal and Winchester. Also there was .22 magnums by cci. Probably will be put out tomorrow morning as there was nobody scheduled to work the Sporting goods desk tonight.

I just left the Walmart in Cleveland off of Treasury Drive and the guy was stocking 9mm, .40, .45, and a few others. There were at least a couple of boxes of each for anyone interested. He still had cases of Federal in a buggy that he was working into the shelf. Just a heads up for those in need that are nearby.

Chapman Hwy Wal Mart had some .380/.38/.40/.45 both range and SD. Prices appeared pre-scare levels.

Also had a decent assortment of long gun and they HAD 2 boxes of Rem UMC .30cal carbine, $30 per 50...a little high.

no 9mm or .22

While it's nice that we are looking out to put ammo in homes and dollars in WM tills, can we start a thread LGS and Ammo? Would rather support an LGS over a big box...for a few dollars more...

• Like 1

While it's nice that we are looking out to put ammo in homes and dollars in WM tills, can we start a thread LGS and Ammo? Would rather support an LGS over a big box...for a few dollars more...

Might not hurt to have a separate thread for it but the scope of this thread has gone beyond Walmart.  I think people have been listing pretty much any ammo they find on shelves anywhere - Walmart, Academy, LGS and so on.

Edited by JAB

I just report what we get in on trucks at night ( in Manchester). Tonight is SOL. No trucks, no ammo in and no, we don't have any in the back aside from shotgun shells.

Handgun ammo is scarce, but we got plenty of shotgun ammo for those that need it.