One last 9mm CZ 75 / Beretta 92 / Browning Hi Power

Tennjed

Which steel 9mm  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Which steel 9mm

• cz 75
    • hi power
    • beretta 92

Ok, I think I need one more 9mm and I want one of the iconic steel frame. This will be just a fun gun and range toy. What I have currently in 9mm:

S&W 5906
CZ Rami
Sig P290
Glock 19.

I have narrowed it down to the following 3. I think I am leaning toward the Hi Power just because I already have the CZ Rami and I have a Beretta 84 in 380 which is similar in design. I do not own any Browning guns and would like to "check" that off my collection. The only thing about the Hi Power I don't like compared to the others is I rank it last in looks vs the other 2.

which would you choose and why?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I vote CZ75 first, but that is only because I've shot it more and it shoots like a dream for me.

I've shot all three you mention and the Browning comes in second and does all I need of it. I tend to shoot them high (both were "T" Series).

I can't shoot a 92 at all. I just do NOT like the trigger on them. 

CZ75 for me...

75 and rami are so similar that having both means nearly having identical guns.

92 is not steel entirely.   Its a great gun, big but accurate and comfortable to shoot, and highly recommended.

I do not care for hi-powers, can't put my finger on it but I would rather have a 1911 in 9mm than one of these.  If you want a browning design, get a 1911 :)

so of those I say the 92, but again, its not your steel pistol,

Edited by Jonnin

Go to a range that rents and try them all.  Then buy whatever you like the best.  Or, if you have friends with those guns, get a couple of boxes of ammo and invite them to a range session.

My personal preference is in this order; CZ75, Browning HP, Beretta.  My CZ has been deadly accurate, absolutely reliable, and has excellent ergonomics and balance.  The Browning is an excellent pistol but single-action only, and I sometimes get hammer bite because I have large hands.  The Beretta won the military tests, but I sold mine as it was ammo sensitive and I never felt comfortable with the feel of it. 

All three guns have excellent reputations.  Get the one you like best.

I've had a  Browning High Power since 1995.  It's been a terrific gun.  Very solid, easy to shoot, and deadly accurate.  Part of the reason I like it is the way it fits my small hand.  Of course, I'm biased, but I'd put it up against any that you are considering.

Guest Lester Weevils

BHP is the only one I don't have already. Saw a fella at the range with a stainless or nickel BHP he said he'd had since the 1980's and it seemed nice. He said it was his favorite. There seems such variety in BHP's, I'd get confused trying to find and figure out what kind I'd want. I liked that fella's model.

One time at the range there were two young fellas with various plastic guns. Apparently they had never much shot metal guns. I let em shoot my S&W 586, 92FS, and CZ85. They both liked all of em. One guy waxed most enthusiastic about the 92FS and the other was more in love with the CZ85. Embarrassingly they were both shooting them better than I can. :)

I have two inox 92FS, one "fairly new" and one maybe 15 years old now. The "fairly new" one was picky about shooting light target loads that worked 100 percent in the older one. I think the older one always worked with light target loads even when new. However, the new one seemed a little more accurate "new out of the box" without any break-in, wheras the older one was disappointing a little on accuracy the first 1000 rounds, then it "got better". Am guessing that the new one was either a little tighter or came with a stiffer recoil spring than the old one. So anyway I don't think either of my 92FS are ammo-sensitive, except if I want to shoot powder-puff loads on the new one I'd want to get a lighter recoil spring. Maybe there are bullet shapes they are sensitive to, but both of mine just never malf except the powderpuff practice load issue already mentioned.

I've never shot a better semi-automatic pistol than a Browning Hi-Power.  I find the Beretta to be way bigger than it really needs to be.  And I've never been a fan of the CZ's narrow slide.  I always found it hard to grasp the slide and pull it back due to it's narrowness.  They are still great pistols.

You may want to go to youtube and take a look at some of the video reviews done on each gun.  As I mentioned in a previous post, the Browning Hi Power is my top choice.  But, as one of the reviews pointed out, BHPs don't take +P ammo well because the rails aren't beefy enough.  They were made to shoot 115 gr FMJ which is what most other weapons were using at the time BHPs were developed.  The reviewer also noted that it has the production run of any handgun and designed by Browning himself.  Who knew?

Guest Lester Weevils

I like my CZ85, but have normal sized hands with short fat fingers. With the safety set-up "similar to 1911" one tries to hold it the same way, with the thumb riding the safety. My hand isn't big enough to get the grip in the web of the hand, ride the safety with thumb, and ALSO get enough finger on the trigger. Even with CZ Customs ultra-thin aluminum grips. The 92FS grip is just as fat but it doesn't "expect or invite" riding the safety, so it is easier to get a comfortable grip on it, for me. A gun configured to invite riding the safety, the 1911 is purty close to ideal for that.

Edited by Lester Weevils

Mixed feelings. My first sidearm was the Hi-power, I currently have an Italian production Beretta and I like them both. While the idea that the Hi-power doesn't handle the +P is a consideration, as you said it was a range and fun gun, I don't see that being an issue. I'm partial to the single actions and so the Hi-power appeals to me and my leanings towards it being my "first" make me biased. I've never fired the CZ but it seems to be a well liked weapon. A very difficult decision. Perhaps you should rethink your question and make a new plan. Instead of "Which gun do I buy?" Ask yourself, "Which gun do I buy first?"

Get 'em all!

I haven't shot one of those Czech pistols everyone raves about, but I think a collection isn't complete without a BHP. For a range toy it has my vote. Between the weight, light round and single action it is a dream to shoot for novices in terms of being accurate. Plus it is iconic.