walmart limiting ammo purchases

[quote name="tennessee01tacoma" post="892619" timestamp="1358869183"]I stopped at the Wal-Mart in Oak Ridge they have some ammo in stock i needed so I was gonna pick up 2 boxes and the guy at the counter said limit 1. As in limit 1 box per caliber per customer. I promise if we get through this ammo crunch ill never buy ammo at Wal-Mart again.[/quote] What?? Sounds to me like they're taking action to prevent people from cleaning out their stock and reselling it for twice as much, which has been reported. Dolomite had posted that a LGS was cleaning Walmart out and doubling prices. I say good for Walmart for looking out for their customers.
  • Like 1

I think it is a good thing. It might help the stock levels, because you wont have a guy go in and buy up the whole shipment of ammo. That should mean the ammo stays on the shelf longer making panic buyers slow down a bit after the 3rd or 4th time they go in and there is ammo on the shelf.

• Like 1

I am glad to see it but I bet the dealer that is there every morning will be raising a stink. I don't mind a 1 box per day limit. All I need a day is 550 round brick. :)

Dolomite

I couldn't even find those at my Wally World before the madness. I shot up the last of my .22 brick before I left town. Edited by TMF

K your probably right, but I was seriously gonna pickup 3 boxes for 3 people, one being myself, we live atleast 30 minutes away from any Wal-Mart so we look out for each other. But you see what does aggravate me is I have to choose either 1 box of 20 of hollow points or 100 fmj.

FMJ. They'll kill paper and bad guys. Cheaper for both, even if you have to use twice as many on the bad guy. :)

- OS

• Like 1

I couldn't even find those at my Wally World before the madness. I shot up the last of my .22 brick before I left town.

Christmas time there is always a shortage of 22's. Has been that way for years. Then add the other stuff and it only compounds the problems.

I have swore off shooting 22 for now because I can shoot my 300 Blackout for less. It costs me 4.4 cents a round for my Blackout.

Dolomite

I live a good 30 minutes from Walmart, and while I can;t buy everything I want ammo wise when I go now, at least I know I have a better chance of there being ammo on the shelf after I make the drive, even if I can only get one box. I work a full time job, with rough hours, and most other people here do alos, so its kinda hard to wait around all week on the delivery truck to buy the entire stock.

I was sneaky last time I went to buy ammo. They had the ammo out still in the cardboard case sitting in a shopping cart waiting to be put in the glass case. Naturally the sporting goods associate was nowhere to be found so I just helped myself to a few boxes......feels good to be bad. :pleased:       Just a note I haven't seen them leave "glass case" ammo out in the open like that in a while. I'm sure it's in there rule book for the associate to put the ammo right in the case when it comes from the back but I guess they get lazy.

That's the beauty of it. 

I think it is a good thing. It might help the stock levels, because you wont have a guy go in and buy up the whole shipment of ammo. That should mean the ammo stays on the shelf longer making panic buyers slow down a bit after the 3rd or 4th time they go in and there is ammo on the shelf.

I had the same thought. Maybe seeing ammo on the shelves will help ease some of the panic and slow it all down. 

It only works if you enforce it. A local pawn shop, Big Als, had a sign up saying ammo was limited to 2 boxes per. When I was browsing around a guy came in and bought 8 boxes of 223 which was the remainder of that cal. They sat around afterwards and chit chatted for a while which led me to believe these 2 may have been friends and he gave his buddy the upper hand on the sale.

I think it is very respectful of a retailer to do this.  They don't have too, and they are in the business to make money, but by invoking a purchase rule like limits when they don't have too is very respectful to the masses.  THANK YOU WALMART!  Now I just hope my local wally does the same.

Guest ArmyVeteran37214

I was sneaky last time I went to buy ammo. They had the ammo out still in the cardboard case sitting in a shopping cart waiting to be put in the glass case. Naturally the sporting goods associate was nowhere to be found so I just helped myself to a few boxes......feels good to be bad. :pleased:       Just a note I haven't seen them leave "glass case" ammo out in the open like that in a while. I'm sure it's in there rule book for the associate to put the ammo right in the case when it comes from the back but I guess they get lazy.

I know at my store, we are suppose to leave the ammo in the back, until the stamp is placed on the box. Then the sporting goods associate or manager would take it to the sales floor and place into the glass case.

Of course that is not Wal-Mart's corporate policy to limit numbers. I guess some markets are making that decision on their own.

My store doesn't limit the amount you can buy from my understanding. There isn't any signage up either.