TN Bill to remove restrictions on knife possession and carry

I read here that the prohibitions didn't pass but when I read the bill and it's amendments it reads they did repeal the prohibitions. 

http://www.capitol.tn.gov/Bills/108/Bill/HB0581.pdf

http://www.capitol.tn.gov/Bills/108/Fiscal/FM0710.pdf

Don't know what you're trying to say. The only thing that changed last year was that the existing knife law is now state preemptive, meaning local gov can't make more restrictive ones and unlike gun laws had no grandfathering in of any preexisting ones.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest TheButterSponge

Don't know what you're trying to say. The only thing that changed last year was that the existing knife law is now state preemptive, meaning local gov can't make more restrictive ones and unlike gun laws had no grandfathering in of any preexisting ones.

- OS

What I'm trying to say is that I read this thread saying it hadn't passed but when I read HB581 it reads that the prohibitions were lifted. 

Guest TheButterSponge

- OS

How am I reading this wrong? 

Edited by TheButterSponge

What I'm trying to say is that I read this thread saying it hadn't passed but when I read HB581 it reads that the prohibitions were lifted.

Dunno which version you're reading where. A bill is not a law.

(edit to add):

How am I reading this wrong? 
http://www.capitol.tn.gov/Bills/108/Bill/HB0581.pdf

That was indeed the bill that did NOT pass in the form seen there.  Was amended to only state exemption for existing laws, which did pass. The only change last year was as I said, that local jurisdiction cannot make any more restrictive knife laws than state ones and none were grandfathered as they are regarding firearms.

It is still currently a Class A misdemeanor for carrying a knife with blade over 4"  in public and same for carrying a switchblade/gravity knife anywhere.

And btw, as per your post in other forum,  knuckles were not called to be made legal in the bill cited above, nor in the one currently afoot.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
Guest DCritter

Just to be clear, here's where we stand as of today:

Tennessee State Senator Mike Bell has introduced a bill to finish the job of updating the state's knife laws. Last year Knife Rights and Senator Bell passed knife law preemption, but the effort to repeal the antiquated ban on switchblade (automatic) knives and possession of knives over four inches in length "with intent to go armed," a vague law subject to abuse, failed in the House due to opposition from the Tennessee Sheriff's Association (TSA).

Knife Rights has worked closely with the TSA Executive Director Terry Ashe to address their concerns and SB1771 (originally filed as SB1438 which had errors and was canceled) is the result. We sincerely appreciate Sheriff Ashe's cooperation in coming up with a solution for the TSA's concerns while removing restrictions on law-abiding citizens.

Rep. Vance Dennis has introduced HB1883 in the Tennessee House, an identical companion bill to SB1771.

If you live, work or travel in Tennessee, please contact your Senator and Representative and ask them to support  SB1771 and HB1883, respectively.  You can find your Tennessee state legislators here: http://www.capitol.tn.gov/legislators/

Whether writing or calling, all that is necessary is to simply ask them to vote in favor of SB1771 or HB1883, as appropriate. Keep it short and to the point.

• Admin Team

Just to be clear, here's where we stand as of today:

Tennessee State Senator Mike Bell has introduced a bill to finish the job of updating the state's knife laws. Last year Knife Rights and Senator Bell passed knife law preemption, but the effort to repeal the antiquated ban on switchblade (automatic) knives and possession of knives over four inches in length "with intent to go armed," a vague law subject to abuse, failed in the House due to opposition from the Tennessee Sheriff's Association (TSA).

Knife Rights has worked closely with the TSA Executive Director Terry Ashe to address their concerns and SB1771 (originally filed as SB1438 which had errors and was canceled) is the result. We sincerely appreciate Sheriff Ashe's cooperation in coming up with a solution for the TSA's concerns while removing restrictions on law-abiding citizens.

Rep. Vance Dennis has introduced HB1883 in the Tennessee House, an identical companion bill to SB1771.

If you live, work or travel in Tennessee, please contact your Senator and Representative and ask them to support  SB1771 and HB1883, respectively.  You can find your Tennessee state legislators here: http://www.capitol.tn.gov/legislators/

Whether writing or calling, all that is necessary is to simply ask them to vote in favor of SB1771 or HB1883, as appropriate. Keep it short and to the point.

I must have looked over it with the capitalization of the 'C' instead of the 'r' in your username, but welcome to TGO, Doug.  I've enjoyed your blog for years!

I must have looked over it with the capitalization of the 'C' instead of the 'r' in your username, but welcome to TGO, Doug.  I've enjoyed your blog for years!

Yep, was glad to see Doug here last year when he first appeared. Besides being a KnifeRights member, I also have a mighty Ritter RSC :)

doug-ritter-mk5-crkt-in-the-packaging.jp

Actually, I need to check into my KR membership, seems I should have renewed by now, don't believe I got any notices....

- OS

Guest TheButterSponge

Dunno which version you're reading where. A bill is not a law.

(edit to add):

That was indeed the bill that did NOT pass in the form seen there.  Was amended to only state exemption for existing laws, which did pass. The only change last year was as I said, that local jurisdiction cannot make any more restrictive knife laws than state ones and none were grandfathered as they are regarding firearms.

It is still currently a Class A misdemeanor for carrying a knife with blade over 4"  in public and same for carrying a switchblade/gravity knife anywhere.

And btw, as per your post in other forum,  knuckles were not called to be made legal in the bill cited above, nor in the one currently afoot.

- OS

The version I'm reading is the version I posted a link too with my comment multiple times. Not sure how you missed that?  
I guess I got that idea about Knuckles from this and guess they were talking about something else. Maybe it's something really cool I never heard of? 
SECTION 2. Tennessee Code Annotated, Section 39-17-1302, is amended by deleting 
subdivision (a)(7) and substituting instead the following: 
 (7) Knuckles

I appreciate your attempts to educate me about the difference in a law and a bill but this bill ends with these words hoss.
This act shall take effect July 1, 2013, the public welfare requiring it and 
shall apply to all applicable provisions of law in conflict with this act.

The version I'm reading is the version I posted a link too with my comment multiple times. Not sure how you missed that?  
I guess I got that idea about Knuckles from this and guess they were talking about something else. Maybe it's something really cool I never heard of? 
 (7) Knuckles

I appreciate your attempts to educate me about the difference in a law and a bill but this bill ends with these words hoss.

Look, I don't know what else to tell you -- hoss -- it's a version of a bill that was not enacted into law, like all the other ones each year that fail to do so. They all have active dates for enforcement which means nothing unless they are actually passed by both chambers and signed into law by the guv.

And the "knuckles" part means it would have been left in the statute section as still prohibited. The current bill being proposed does the same, ie, leaves knuckles as prohibited item. It also leaves "club" as still being unlawful for carry without a training certificate for impact weapons.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Have written both of my legislators.  When does this bill come up for vote?

You can watch the following page for updates.  It has not yet been added to a calendar.  

http://wapp.capitol.tn.gov/apps/BillInfo/default.aspx?BillNumber=SB1771&GA=108

Last year, I posted updates as often as I could and kept the board in the know with the calendar.  I'll be doing the same this year. 

• Like 1
Guest DCritter

Have written both of my legislators.  When does this bill come up for vote?

Actual votes will come down the road, after committee hearings and procedural moves. There's no fixed calendar and legislation can move quickly or slowly depending on the whims of leadership and phase of the moon, etc.  Sign up for our Knife Rights alerts to stay fully informed, or via www.twitter.com/KnifeRights or www.facebook.com/KnifeRights.

• Moderators

(7) Knuckles

Yep, and had it passed last year then it would have been enacted  July 1, 2013. However, it did not pass. Therefore, absolutely nothing took place. You could write up crazy bill with your Representative and have him file it. Then, anyone could read that bill could do so by going to http://www.capitol.tn.gov/Bills/108/Bill/Proposed-Bill-Number-Here. Perhaps this is an example of HB0582:

As enacted, it will be illegal for TGO user TheButterSponge to place butter on sponges on any day of the week that doesn't end in z. This act shall take effect July 1, 2015.

Some Representative drafted that and stuck in with all the other proposed bills. Without sponsors and going before applicable committees (The Breakfast Club, International House of Pancakes, etc) and then being passed by both the Tennessee House and Tennessee Senate, and then being signed into law by the Governor of Tennessee, TheButterSponge can put as much butter on sponges on any day of the week that he wants to. However, if that bill were passed (House/Senate) and signed (Governor), then it would take place July 1, 2015. But up until that point you can do whatever you want.

Bill = Proposed Law

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyeJ55o3El0

• Like 2

Yep, and had it passed last year then it would have been enacted  July 1, 2013. However, it did not pass. Therefore, absolutely nothing took place. You could write up crazy bill with your Representative and have him file it. Then, anyone could read that bill could do so by going to http://www.capitol.tn.gov/Bills/108/Bill/Proposed-Bill-Number-Here. Perhaps this is an example of HB0582:

As enacted, it will be illegal for TGO user TheButterSponge to place butter on sponges on any day of the week that doesn't end in z. This act shall take effect July 1, 2015.

Some Representative drafted that and stuck in with all the other proposed bills. Without sponsors and going before applicable committees (The Breakfast Club, International House of Pancakes, etc) and then being passed by both the Tennessee House and Tennessee Senate, and then being signed into law by the Governor of Tennessee, TheButterSponge can put as much butter on sponges on any day of the week that he wants to. However, if that bill were passed (House/Senate) and signed (Governor), then it would take place July 1, 2015. But up until that point you can do whatever you want.

Bill = Proposed Law

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyeJ55o3El0

Haha, I'm just a Bill...that video brings back memories...3 channels on the TV with rabbit ears and at midnight the Star Spangled Banner at mid-night then snow on the TV.

• Like 1