Yelled at a lady this morning.

LI0NSFAN

I have 4 small children, and itch to have a confrontation like you did.  I am always loaded for bear if someone wants to critique my parenting skills!  So far this has not happened.  I have almost had to pull my belt out a walmart with the kids just to start confrontation.  I am ready!

Go out wen most people are at work and hit some places like the mall, or grocery store. I get a passing comment about once a month. Maybe I am a bad parent.  I just don't get how my wife can do the exact same things I do and no one has ever said anything to her.

You are a better man than me.  Once I overcame the initial shock, I would have more than likely handed the lady a cucumber and then proceed to tell her what she can do to herself.

The lady's comments do not really surprise me.  This nation is full of busybodies who say you can do this but not that, think this but not that, eat this but not that, etc...  We would be a whole lot better off they would mind their own business and have a tall glass of stfu. 

Go out wen most people are at work and hit some places like the mall, or grocery store. I get a passing comment about once a month. Maybe I am a bad parent.  I just don't get how my wife can do the exact same things I do and no one has ever said anything to her.

Ha, taking the kids out sans wife gets me hit on by young women and stopped constantly by old ladies. One trip on a busy Saturday to Kroger resulted in being stopped nearly a dozen times for ladies fawning over the children. Apparently it doesn't happen when my wife takes them out. For some reason society looks at fathers taking care of their kids differently; either something to be rewarded or judged.

Part of it may be due to how men and women are portrayed in advertising and in the media. White men are just idiots who couldn't find our butts with both hands and therefore can't put a string of words together to form a coherent sentence, while women are omniscient and omnipotent.

Part of it may be due to how men and women are portrayed in advertising and in the media. White men are just idiots who couldn't find our butts with both hands and therefore can't put a string of words together to form a coherent sentence, while women are omniscient and omnipotent.

Only because chicks know they can run their mouth to a stranger without fear of getting punched in the face.  Not that I'd ever tell a father how to raise his kids, but if I did I would fully expect him to try and knock me out.

• Like 1
I don't know, if someone were to have pulled that crap with my dad it would have ended verbally guaranteed. As a LEO he was certainly not going to engage in a physical altercation over words. That's fine considering he has a way of speaking to idiots that lets them know in no uncertain terms that they are beneath the conversing with.

Mom on the other hand might have just started swinging.
  • Like 1

Very true.  All you see is videos of idiots wearing a bio-hazard suit while changing a diaper and movies like Daddy Day Care.  Guess who got the clean-up call when the little one pooped in the tub last week?  Society thinks men are incapable of taking care of kids.  If we were women, we could raise hell about inequality and stereotypes, but since we're men, we just shut up and get on with it. 

I don't know, if someone were to have pulled that crap with my dad it would have ended verbally guaranteed. As a LEO he was certainly not going to engage in a physical altercation over words. That's fine considering he has a way of speaking to idiots that lets them know in no uncertain terms that they are beneath the conversing with.

Not saying that would be the response of every man, but certainly should be an expected response.  Seriously, could you imagine going up to a man you don't know and then berating him on how he's raising his kids?  How would you expect that to end?  I would fully expect him to take a swing.  Now, females don't think like that, because society has a stigma on hitting women, even if they deserve it.

Come shop over here with me at the Asheville Highway Kroger.  Most of their patrons have 9 kids running around the store like wild heathens.  Then when they get to the checkout with their 2 or 3 carts full of groceries they pay for it using food stamps.  Your two kids sitting there quietly will go unnoticed, I'd leave the ipad at home though, that thing would disappear over there like a Krispy Kreme Doughnut at a Weight Watchers meeting.

I worked nights and my wife worked days from the time my youngest was born until she started school. I ran all the errands, did the doctor visits, paid the bills, shopping, etc. with my lil princess in tow while my wife was at work.

I got stopped by a complete stranger in Food Lion one day. He said, he sees me everywhere with that young 'en and she's always so well behaved and happy. Then he said, I must be a really good father.

...that was the proudest moment of my entire life and I will NEVER forget it.
  • Like 1

STAHD, from another stay at home dad thank you for correcting the "lady" i can't stand peole that do crap like that. 

For my part of the rant It seriously Irks me when im out with my little girl and people say aww your babysitting today.  It's always the little things that get to me, but im a father not a babysitter.   I left the Army after 10 years to be a stay at home dad and although it was a great ten years it pales in comparison to just a few months of time with my baby girl.

• Like 2

STAHD, from another stay at home dad thank you for correcting the "lady" i can't stand peole that do crap like that. 

For my part of the rant It seriously Irks me when im out with my little girl and people say aww your babysitting today.  It's always the little things that get to me, but im a father not a babysitter.   I left the Army after 10 years to be a stay at home dad and although it was a great ten years it pales in comparison to just a few months of time with my baby girl.

I get the same comments at least once a week. I hate that people think Dads just babysit, I do way more than babysit, as you know it's a busy day staying home with kids.

I got stopped by a complete stranger in Food Lion one day. He said, he sees me everywhere with that young 'en and she's always so well behaved and happy. Then he said, I must be a really good father.

...that was the proudest moment of my entire life and I will NEVER forget it.

I have had a couple of those moments, it does feel good to know that my efforts are paying off.

• Like 1

I get the same comments at least once a week. I hate that people think Dads just babysit, I do way more than babysit, as you know it's a busy day staying home with kids.

I stay at home part of the year with my step daughter.  In reality I spend more one on one time with her than her mother does.  Not that my wife is doing anything wrong, she just puts in 40 hours per week at work.  My daughter is my little buddy, she goes everywhere with me.  I'm not babysitting, I'm being a parent. 

• 3 months later...
I work 4 ten hour days so Fridays is "Daddy-Daughter Day" for me and my 11 month old. I got stopped one time by someone because of something and i pointed out that I actually teach parenting skills and coordinate with the department of children services as a therapist. They shut up pretty quickly. I have thought about open carrying just to see if someone would say something to me about that.
Guest Broomhead

Yet another stay-at-home dad...strike that...We are Professional Dads!!!

The first few times I went to the pediatrician with my daughter they always asked if her mom noticed any other symptoms, I just sloughed it off. Now though, they know me by name, know that I am the one who stays with my girls, and know that I know what the hell I'm talking about when I say that my daughter has strep even though she has no fever or sore throat, or an ear infection without any other symptom than not sleeping well.

I have never gotten a negative comment from anyone, though. I have always gotten compliments on my daughters, how well they were behaved, how pretty they were, etc. I have had the occasional, "Oh, you have the kids today. How nice of you." I just reply and say, "Nope, I'm the Professional Dad. I'm always with them."

Funny thing is, Daddy becomes dog meat as soon as Mommy walks in the door. Lol. I wouldn't trade being a Professional Dad for any other job in the world. My girls are 1, 3, and 9 and I love every minute of it.

Edited by Broomhead