Ramsey Opposes Sealing HCP Holder Information

TMF

• Moderators
Folks in Blountville, start looking for a primary challenger. He seems to be begging to get the Maggart treatment and I am in to contribute to his challenger's campaign. I know it will be a few years, but that just gives us time to find a solid candidate. Edited by Chucktshoes

I don't get the argument where some things still need to be open.  To whom?  Law enforcement can already search and find this information out.  Who else needs access to this information. If you are part of a trial and it is pertinent, sure, law enforcement should be able to give the status, but to say that we should allow for a one time check from any request is not acceptable to me.  Where is my right to privacy in all of this.  All this does is allow an easy opening for employers and others to do an at will search which I don't think is right.  If they have a warrant for it, or if it is part of normal law enforcement duties, ok, but Jim Bob calling to see if I have a permit is not acceptable.

I guess one more letter has to be sent. 

Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 2

Here's the solution to that issue:

lt.gov.ron.ramsey@capitol.tn.gov

615.741.4524 or  800.449.8366 x14524

Sir, it has come to my attention that your position is against the NRA request of sealing carry permit holders' information.

Recently due to the extremely poor decision of a "news agency" to publish a map of gun owners in another state; as a result of their information being public, multiple families have been put at a higher risk for criminals seeking to illegally procure guns by theft and robberies. Not only did that information put them at risk for attack, it also resulted in the discovery of multiple people that have been assisted by the courts with protective orders against threats against them and their families. By leaving this information public, there is absolutely no possible way to verify it is not being used in a detrimental fashion.

I ask you to reconsider your position on this matter for the safety and security of every family and person in the great state of Tennessee.

Instead of allowing the sharing of information of law-abiding citizens, I submit to you a request of allowing us access to the databases of all criminals in the sate. With this type of access, maybe the press can uncover trends and other figures to see if we're missing something on repeat offenders.

It's just starting to become a reflex to email these people lol

• Like 1

Folks in Blount county, start looking for a primary challenger. He seems to be begging to get the Maggart treatment and I am in to contribute to his challenger's campaign. I know it will be a few years, but that just gives us time to find a solid candidate.

Ramsey is from Blountville up in the Tri-Cities area.  Blount Co is just south of Knoxville/Knox County.  Either way, trying to dethrone a Republican in East Tennesse is not an easy task but he needs to go.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 1
  • Moderators

Ramsey is from Blountville up in the Tri-Cities area.  Blount Co is just south of Knoxville/Knox County.  Either way, trying to dethrone a Republican in East Tennesse is not an easy task but he needs to go.

Thanks, corrected.

I don't figure it would be easy, but I imagine anything is possible with the right candidate. That's why it is time to start looking now.
Hmmm I always thought he was a stand up guy. Hard core conservative. Was I wrong? Does he have a point on keeping them open? It dosent bother me but I have no kids, a wife that shoots a .45 better than me, and five dogs including pit bulls. But maybe these should be sealed because we have obviously already passed background checks.

I don't get the argument where some things still need to be open.  To whom?  Law enforcement can already search and find this information out.  Who else needs access to this information. If you are part of a trial and it is pertinent, sure, law enforcement should be able to give the status, but to say that we should allow for a one time check from any request is not acceptable to me.  Where is my right to privacy in all of this.  All this does is allow an easy opening for employers and others to do an at will search which I don't think is right.  If they have a warrant for it, or if it is part of normal law enforcement duties, ok, but Jim Bob calling to see if I have a permit is not acceptable.

I guess one more letter has to be sent. 

"Who else" needs it, among others, are state senators who have built their career on being "pro 2A" who then decide to run for governor and realize that if he gets the records sealed he won't be able to access the information to use in campaign fund raising.

Does that sound like anyone you may have heard of???

I just had a very good phone conversation with Rep. Lamberth who is sponsoring the House bill to close public access to the HCP records.  He called me after I sent an email to Lt. Gov Ramsey voicing my disapproval of him opposing the sealing of the records. I copied Sen. Lamberth as well as my local Senator and Representative.  I was very impressed.  He was very open with what he would like to get done with the bill and it was very refreshing to speak with a Representative so in lockstep with where my personal opinions are on the matter.

I will not go into everything that we talked about, but he did ask for everyone to write their representatives and senators asking for support of this bill.  He said the bill is not posted yet, but will be soon.  I can tell you that he wants 100% privacy with this information and that it would only be available to law enforcement or through a court order for legitimate reasons.  I hope he gets support from the rest of the legislature on this. He said all of our letters really make a difference, so keep them coming.  

• Like 2
Blountville is in North East Tn, right on the state line... Not south of Knoxville. My family has known Ramsey for a long time, but I can honestly say I would love to be more involved in politics up here and if I had a chance, run for office.

Hmmm I always thought he was a stand up guy. Hard core conservative. Was I wrong? Does he have a point on keeping them open? It dosent bother me but I have no kids, a wife that shoots a .45 better than me, and five dogs including pit bulls. But maybe these should be sealed because we have obviously already passed background checks.

He did a good job of selling himself that way; may even have been that way at one time but his actions over the past two years in particular either are showing his true colors or represent a complete departure from what he always said he believed in.

Frankly, we had better "conservative" representation when Republicans didn't control the legislature than we do now...pretty damn sad actually.