What's your ammo situation?

D3vo

I am not asking you to disclose your stockpile. I would like to know if there is anyone out there who can't shoot anymore because of the ammo situation. I have been reading threads where people sound super excited to find one box in a store.

That is my situation. I have a new gun I have only shot about 40 rounds through. I broke down and ordered 100 rounds this morning at higher prices just to have something to shoot and only because they will ship today. Other than that I am roaming the local Walmarts in the morning hoping to score. I don't want to hoard. I want to shoot!

Well, all I can say is I'm glad I took advantage of bulk ammo deals online, even when I wasn't able to shoot. I'm fortunate to have several thousand rounds of .22, about a thousand .40, and a few thousand .380. Plus a few boxes of .45 and 9mm. I bought all of these pre-insanity.

I know it's costly for some to do that online, if they can even find it. I've checked out Walmart every time I've been in there and there's never been any handgun ammo. Just a smattering of rifle rounds and shotgun shells.

The ammo scarcity has made me rethink certain purchases of firearms and things such as a membership to the VOW range. What good is a membership if I run out of ammo to shoot? I could always go there and make "bang bang" noises.

*SGAmmo seems to have been pretty reliable in getting various rounds in for those that might be interested. They just sell out VERY quick.

Edited by Spank

I am running out of cast bullits faster than normal, I have a few months before lack of factory ammo keeps me from shooting IDPA at NA or anything but it has put a crimp on some other purchases and I'm shooting my .22 much less than usual b/c I can't replace the ammo, which in turn drives up the cost of shooting further. 

In shooting stockpile enough .223, 9mm, and .357/.38, to shoot some kind of centerfire maybe through mid summer, enough .22LR to go past that, maybe.  Don't feel so weird about buying ammo all along now.

Not touching EOTWAWKI stash, so if things don't free up by then, may get back into golf.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

The shipping online is what kills me. If you buy bulk it ain;t bad but $16 to ship two boxes hurts.

Definitely have to buy in bulk to make shipping worth it. For me SGAmmo has fair shipping prices and TargetSportsUSA has free shipping on all bulk ammo purchases, which really helps out.

Also these problems have made me start to investigate steel cased ammo. I've heard things back and forth about problems/no problems but I'm going to give it a go with some of my firearms. I've already tested out some of the aluminum cased blazer ammo in one of my handguns and it's performed fine. A cheap, but dirty, alternative.

Definitely have to buy in bulk to make shipping worth it. For me SGAmmo has fair shipping prices and TargetSportsUSA has free shipping on all bulk ammo purchases, which really helps out.

I ordered some from TargetSports, I'm having the issues others have mentioned with my order. It wasn't complete but I was charged for it and getting the run around now.

I ordered some from TargetSports, I'm having the issues others have mentioned with my order. It wasn't complete but I was charged for it and getting the run around now.

The only thing I've seen is that they're running behind. Are you saying your order was missing some ammo or been charged and it's not shipped? I'm still waiting on an order to ship myself.

Edited by Spank

Personally, I'm holding on to what I have for now. If I shoot it all up it would be a PITA to replace it and it would cost double what it should. I don't remember the last time I've seen a 550rd box of .22LR in the stores. I know it will eventually get back to normal so I'm just going to wait it out.

-southernasylum

Reckon I have been lucky... been picking up bits and pieces almost every time I go in to a Walmart or Sporting store. Might not be specifically what I was looking for, but a caliber I shoot. Probably amassed close to 10k rounds of various calibers just picking here and there. Hopefully I'll get a chance to pop a few off soon.

The only thing I've seen is that they're running behind. Are you saying your order was missing some ammo or been charged and it's not shipped? I'm still waiting on an order to ship myself.

They cut off one box and didn't charge me for it. I got 5 boxes that I ordered. There was another box I was charged for but was not in the shipment, I ordered a total of 7 boxes. They say they will ship it later. Why didn't they just take it off and not charge me for it like they did the other box they were out of?

I am not asking you to disclose your stockpile. I would like to know if there is anyone out there who can't shoot anymore because of the ammo situation. I have been reading threads where people sound super excited to find one box in a store.

I get excited to find a box because that means I can go for a while longer before I stop.  There is an amount I will not go below and finding a box replaces and extends my supply.  So even if not OUT, its great to buy some.

• Like 1