Private Sales May Be Next 2A Infringement

Keep in mind that Obama's OFA is targeting voters in areas where they think that they can get a congresscritter to change their vote.  They had over 100 anti-gun rallies on Friday while pro-gun folks were working.  And every one of them got news attention, no matter how small.  Did anyone see any TV coverage of the 99 pro-gun rallies that were held Saturday?

We need to keep up the pressure because the opposition is pushing this with every lie they can make up.

Our biggest advantage is that a LOT more folks are fervently pro-gun than are anti-gun.

Both of these statements you made "They had over 100 anti-gun rallies on Friday while pro-gun folks were working. (Those that work for a living are being over run by those that vote for a living....)  And every one of them got news attention, no matter how small."  ring especially true. Especially the reference to news attention.

The media is so focused on protecting Obama and the extreme liberal left they just drool at pro-gun rallies as they push their negative vibes and attention to anything they can find, like the guy in Nashville that came with a loaded rifle on his back. That mistake took a lot of the positive out of that meeting IMO.

I know we need to keep pushing with letters and emails.....but I'm so tired of getting mostly the same canned replies.  Corkers is the most pitiful reply I've gotten from any of them.

well Robert since my Ford/Chevy reference roared right over your head I will try to explain further.

Politicians, not guns are like Fords and Chevy's.    There is little substantive difference between Ford's and Chevy's,  And there is little difference between Dem's and Republican's. 

It didn't "roar over my head"  :-\

I guess I can understand some confusion but my "automobile" comment wasn't in response to or directed to your post about "Fords and Chevy's" - I was referring to a prior comment about the number of vehicles on the roads as an example of the government being capable of keeping a registry.

Also, I didn't respond/wasn't responding to your post in part because I didn't see a need to; I don't disagree with you as I see little difference between Democrats and Republicans and have been saying so for a while now.

However, since you brought it up I do disagree with your contention about the GOP not being turncoats. When a person proclaims support for certain core beliefs but then seems to abandon them is that not being a turncoat?

Many Republicans, perhaps even most of them present themselves as being "conservative" and that they honor the Constitution and want  a smaller government, less spending, living within our means, etc. etc. but when they are in office they often do the very opposite.  There are many words than can apply to such duplicity but I think "turncoat" fits well.

• Like 1

... I see no sentiment among most people for gun control now.  ...

Better wipe off them specs, Leroy.  ;)

Polls indicate otherwise, depending on the exact "gun control" issue. The "universal background check" issue under discussion is overwhelmingly a yes, no exception on any credible poll (even those that picked Mitt as even or better in last election, so there's not even any to choose to believe that say otherwise).

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Publish the telephone number or the web site for the background check, let any person avail themselves of the use of it, (pay their $10.00 via credit card) and there is no reason to not do a back ground check.

Just make sure it runs the background on the person, and not the weapon.

Potential purchaser could run a check on the seller if he wanted to, would go a long way to making sure the seller was not a felon as well.

Attach the report to the sales receipt for those instances where the seller and the buyer were not well acquainted (I never sell one without a sales receipt, requiring a DL, and keep that on file as well).

• Like 1

I fully understand and appreciate your skepticism RE: "...sentiment for gun control..." and the polls.

My thinkin is that most folks understand now that polls are pretty much rigged by the people that pay for 'em.  The pollsters simply get the answer that the client pays for many times and most folks understand that now.  

The signs that ive found interestin (...and hopeful...) are more and more real folks pushing the state legislatures for reinstatement of firearms rights in general (....the "Shall Issue handgun permit thing is a good example.  The federal appleals court even slapped the state of Illinois on this the other day.  They have 180 days to craft a sensible Shall Issue law....).   Look at the backlash on the tightened gun laws in New York state here the other day. 

Another hopeful sign is that women are callin out the gun control crowd.   Women are, on balance, the most reasonable among us.  They have thought thru this gun control thing and figured out that it is nothin more than a ruse for clamping down on law abiding citizens.  They know, as we do, that the problem aint the selling of guns; its the evil intent behind those who use them to do bad things.  I think more and more people are again realizing that some people are simply evil or nuts, and no amount of law will clean that up. 

Certain of the black community (...i fear not nearly enough...) are questioning this gun control thing and reminding some of their brothers and sisters that these restrictive laws will (...and have in the passed...) made the black community more dangerous to live in.

I do believe that the gun control crowd can (...and are...) makin some hay with the expanding of data bases on the "mental issues" issue ALA Jared Laughtner and Adam Lanza; who i think were protected by "medical privacy" laws and doting parents. 

Havin said all this hopeful stuff, and at the end of the day;  im kinda like you.  The political class is pretty nutty and overbearing right now.  Who would have ever believed that men like Joe Biden would have ever been elected VP?  I sure wouldn't have; but were livin in strange and unusual times.

Keep up the good work.

leroy

I believe they are stupid enough to try ending private sales between law-abiding citizens, and to try registration and a national database.  I think they're arrogant enough to believe that the only reason it didn't work well in Canada is because THEY weren't running it.  Look at the misguided crap they've pulled since 1934.

If the Republicans don't hold the House, what the hell difference will it make?  The career politicians will erase that little "R" behind their names and pencil in a "D".  There's no downside to them.

Polls can be skewed so many ways to achieve a desired result. I agree with Leroy about the poll not being

so sacred like they once were, if they ever were. Besides, live by the poll, die by the poll.

With the ones making noise, and the ones absorbing the noise and rebroadcasting it to us little people, they

are getting very little traction. John McCain and Tom Coburn don't speak for the entire Republican Party. That

seems to be the entire premise behind this thread. The NRA doesn't even buy it. The NRA is starting to put

some bite into its campaigning and I think we will see the wrong types of laws created out of thin air, instead

of the legislative process, partly due to the efforts of the NRA. That is most definitely a good thing.

What I fear the most is what will be added to any law passed.  Look at obamacare, the fine print.  The government's ability to screw things up are

legendary.  It will be another bloated bureaucracy, filled with incompetent pencil pushers, paid for by the taxpayer.  And don't forget the gov't's penchant for taxing and fees.  Next will come taxes on what you own to feed the new bureaucracy, then "inspection" fees.  Then, perhaps safety requirements so that your evil firearms cannot be accessed/stolen by others,  Can you imagine the specifications for a gov't approved safe?  The cost?  And don't forget the "inspections" and fees for that.  Once the door is opened..............

Rant over, for now.

Edited by Bigiron

Don't even compare any of this to ACA. The ACA(Obamacare) was written and shelved possibly for decades before

its consideration. It was a communist wet dream, and that's what we got when we didn't read the bill. There are no

real gun proposals, except maybe the same garbage Feinstein keeps dredging up each year, and the gun debate

appears to be turning into a state by state fiasco.

All that "fine print" was there for the same decades the rest of the bill had to wait until our political class finally considered

us dumb enough to deserve it. The only thing new about Obamacare was the marketing.

My thinkin is that most folks understand now that polls are pretty much rigged by the people that pay for 'em. ...

Polls can be skewed so many ways to achieve a desired result.

Show me a nationwide poll that's rigged or skewed to indicate a majority against universal background checks.

1048841-Royalty-Free-RF-Clip-Art-Illustr

- OS

Mac, I can't show you something I quit paying attention to. I learned my lesson this last election cycle. Besides,

how could I? I am not privy to the sampling they do and don't have any experience in polling except to know the

poll is a flawed way to run a country. A poll is just a smaller version of mob rule waiting to happen.

At the same time, can you show me they aren't rigged for the audience? How can you take a poll that has a

supposed accuracy rate between 3-5% margin of error and say it represents much more than nothing? It is

a means to sway voters one way or another, usually the swaying is done by the people paying for the poll, and

the media's leveraged use of it.

Kinda dishonest if you ask me. Actually, I don't care too much about any polls, any more. If we get our daily dose

of right and wrong from some damned poll, we are sunk as a nation.

....Kinda dishonest if you ask me. Actually, I don't care too much about any polls, any more. If we get our daily dose

of right and wrong from some damned poll, we are sunk as a nation.

I can assure you that legislators care a LOT about polls. Especially the ones which they perceive reflect their own constituencies.Federal pols commission their own private ones, too.

Which is why we'll have an end to private sales before the end of the 113th, because enough of them will know it won't affect their reelection bids, unlike some of the other gun issues.

- OS

Oh Shoot, you think registration is not a concern for most gun owners?

Yes, and it does not show majority support anywhere to the best of my knowledge. But the background check itself isn't, obviously has overwhelming support.

Certainly, a permanent database is probably going to be attempted to accompany it, and hopefully that will be a successful line in the sand that won't be crossed.

Although I figure that there already is a permanent database that could be utilized if conditions are right. The latest EO that allows failed background checks to be permanent already puts overt holes in that, and I assume that they are now including even those "failed" ones that are overturned too. Indeed, I expect to see more and more checks initially denied for that reason alone, to add to that database.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Although I figure that there already is a permanent database that could be utilized if conditions are right. The latest EO that allows failed background checks to be permanent already puts overt holes in that, and I assume that they are now including even those "failed" ones that are overturned too. Indeed, I expect to see more and more checks initially denied for that reason alone, to add to that database.

- OS

According to current law those checks that are overturned must have the record of the background check destroyed within the next business day.

According to current law those checks that are overturned must have the record of the background check destroyed within the next business day.

I think you may be mixing up "laws" and "rules"? USC (the enacted law) vs CFR (the interpretation of rules for enforcing the law)?

Is what you said stated clearly in the actual USC? (I've really never delved into that part of it, not sure I've ever even found it).

O just changed the rules without enacting a law, after all.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

I think you may be mixing up "laws" and "rules"? USC (the enacted law) vs CFR (the interpretation of rules for enforcing the law)?

Is what you said stated clearly in the actual USC? (I've really never delved into that part of it, not sure I've ever even found it).

O just changed the rules without enacting a law, after all.

- OS

Okay, I see now. For some reason I thought it was law as part of the Brady Bill, but I see it was just a DOJ after thought.
I do not see a law being passed to force all private sales to go through an FFL. They have been working on the bill in the Senate Judiciary Committee and have reached a stalemate. Senator Coburn refuses to give in to Schumers demand for records to be kept on all purchases and transfers. He said that unless the bill is stripped of that requirement he will kill it.

We all know that Schumer, Obama and all the other gun grabbers want these records so they can eventualy try to implement registration. Heck, the fact that the records are even kept is, in essence, registration. The other parts of the bill will exempt family members and those who have carry permits. Still, even if a partisan bill makes it out of the Senate, it faces a likely demise in the House.

The House Judiciary Committee has already rejected the House version altogether. Considering that ANY Senate bill will have to make it through the Republican controlled House, I think we can worry just a little bit less about it. The fight is not over, but the Liberals are hitting a brick wall. Hopefully, the Republicans see this as the opportunity they need in order to take back the Senate in 2010. We all know they are eyeing it already. With that being the case, they have something to gain from blocking gun control legislation. I know many of them are blocking gun control because they believe it is unconstitutional, but there are lots of them that see it as an opportunity to gain much needed favor with the voters. Edited by Seabeejason

Coburn publicly said that a national database would kill any gun control legislation.  The Dems may settle for a background check on all sells without a database, just to stick it in the NRA's eye.  I don't feel this little battle is over just yet.

Coburn publicly said that a national database would kill any gun control legislation.  The Dems may settle for a background check on all sells without a database, just to stick it in the NRA's eye.  I don't feel this little battle is over just yet.

Yep. End to legal private sales is gonna happen.

The GOP as a whole will have to give on that due to overwhelming national mandate and of course the Dems will eventually take what they can actually get.

GOP will pass it with as little pain to individual senators and reps as possible though, allow the ones to vote nay whose reelection bids might suffer the most from it, while still having enough votes to get it passed.

There's always the national vs local considerations by both parties.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

first off someone needs to explain to me the difference between republicans and democrats.  Near as I can tell they are about as different as a Chevy and a Ford.  

GOP members are no more turncoats than Dem's.

Believing there is actually a difference is the first farce people need to get past.

I am not registering much of anything.  Problem solved.

You are right it's an illusion that we have a two party system. The establishment career politicians are 

there for the power and money. If they are not millionaires when they get to Washington, they are when they leave.

You are right it's an illusion that we have a two party system. The establishment career politicians are 

there for the power and money. If they are not millionaires when they get to Washington, they are when they leave.

Re-read my sig for agreement.

- OS

• Like 1