How things have changed at the range.

Howler

Took a trip to ORSA to do a little shooting yesterday and all I can say is wow.  I know the time of year can dictate what guns you might see. So the best I can tell March must be AR month. Every table but one was loaded with AR's. Not just one AR but two or three. Brass was hitting the ground like rain drops. And speeking of brass, it was being picked up as soon as it hit the ground. Not just rifle brass but handgun brass as well. After walking down the plinking range to put up new targets I turn around to see my brass being collected by a couple guys. Couldn't  believe they didn't even ask. I don't reload but do keep brass for some of my friends to use. I can remember a time when the brass bucket would be 1/3 of the way full. Not now! Might as well be gold on the ground. Had a blast though. Got a chance to shoot a small vid using a gopro camera. I need to get one of them. That's a cool little device.

After walking down the plinking range to put up new targets I turn around to see my brass being collected by a couple guys. Couldn't  believe they didn't even ask. I don't reload but do keep brass for some of my friends to use.

They need to be punched in the nose.  I can't stand those guys.

• Like 4
Last time I was at MCSC it seemed the majority of rifles there were ARs. It's amazing how much AR ownership has gone up in the last decade. Makes me all fuzzy to know that there are so many households with muskets; I really hope it stays that way.
  • Like 1
I had the same thing happen to me yesterday at Norris. I was loading our guns in the truck and before i could finish this gentleman (if you will) was taking all my brass. Even some i had picked up and laid on the table. I asked if he reloaded and he indicated that he did not but might some day. I have alot of brass and Not wanting to be confrontational i let it slide but dang what nerve.
Guest AmericanWorkMule

I asked if he reloaded and he indicated that he did not but might some day. I have alot of brass and Not wanting to be confrontational i let it slide but dang what nerve.

Same thing happened to us. I told the dude we reloaded (not yet anyway) and asked for our brass back.

He got in a huff and threw them back on the ground.

I guess for them it beats stealing copper...

Funny you mention this. I've been a member at Gallatin Gun Club for a handful of years, and no one has ever wanted by brass....until today. A very kind gentleman noticed we were packing up for the day, and he politely asked if he could have my .223/5.56 brass.

I don't currently reload, but knowing how valuable that stuff is these days, I was actually going to keep it. But since he was kind enough to ask, I didn't have a problem giving it to him.
  • Like 1
I generally leave mine or give it away. I've even been known to help others find theirs for them when it comes into my shooting space, you can tell some of them get a little uptight until I hand over the handful and say "here ya go". I usually find an old timer and give mine to them and they are appreciative. Now even though it's useless to me as I don't reload yet I'd get plenty pissed if someone came and started taking it with out asking. I'd ask for it back, and if they got huffy and threw it on the ground I might just be tempted to do the same, get all huffy and throw them on ground. More likely though I'd plaster a *hit eating grin on my face and say thank you so much. Angry people always seem to hate being thanked.

I think I'll start keeping mine from now on, if I get into reloading it will be nice to have on hand.
Guest PapaB

People that pick up a shooters brass without asking before he leaves should be banned from the range. It’s not bad manners its theft.

^This.

Thats why I like Cleveland,you get a pistol bay all to yourself

Do the bay walls go all the way to the ground? Just curious.

At the range I go to, you get your own bay too. It even has chicken wire between shooters. The concrete floor allows brass to roll a long way though. Sometimes I find mine 3 lanes to the right.

Maybe I should adjust my stance so it falls where I want it, LOL.

I would never take anyone's brass without asking and I have asked someone to return my brass at ORSA when they started picking it up without asking me.

If I notice someone not saving brass I'll usually offer to clean it up for them if they don't want it.

The competition comment seems out of place.   When I was shooting 3 gun, back when we had ammo to spare,  I had 2 choices .....  leave my brass and it would be gone before the targets and all were stowed away during breakdown, or pick some up during some of the target resets to replace what I used.    If you want the brass, you pick it up when it is still there, or you lose out.   It would be nice if we lived in an ideal world where you got back what you shot up and split what was not wanted by some people, but we do not. 

At the range, I try to wait for folks to leave, but when it becomes a trip/ fall hazard, I pick it up assuming it is not wanted as I assume any decent person would not leave 5000 cases rolling underfoot to pick up maybe sometime 3 hours from now.  

I do not get bent out over the common stuff.  Someone takes my makarov cases, though, we are gonna tangle.

• Like 1

I tend to agree with this.^ I waited until the end of an IDPA match this weekend (my first one) to pick up brass. I know I didn't pick up just MY brass that I had shot but I only picked up the amount that I had shot. I was the new guy so I am sure some folks though I was being a "range chicken" as someone said earlier but I figure if I waited that long everyone else had the chance to get some. Picking it up during the match is just a pain to me.

I tend to agree with this.^ I waited until the end of an IDPA match this weekend (my first one) to pick up brass. I know I didn't pick up just MY brass that I had shot but I only picked up the amount that I had shot. I was the new guy so I am sure some folks though I was being a "range chicken" as someone said earlier but I figure if I waited that long everyone else had the chance to get some. Picking it up during the match is just a pain to me.

Its going to depend on where it is but at ours, time we put away the target stands and props, the brass 223 is long gone.