Best screw driver bits ?

I bought a set of Winchester at Wal Mart that are in my opinion junk. If it is small it bends the blade . The bigger ones are OK at best. Way too soft .

I have 3 straight bits that I bought from Brownells that seem to be quality made. I want to get a set of bits and see all kind of different brands but do not want the cheap China made junk like in the Winchester set.

Do I just need to spend the extra for the Brownell set ?

What others are good quality ?

Are the " Proffesional Grade " really better, or just more junk ?

I tinker and just bought a Marlin 336 that I had to take apart. I was lucky in that the Brownell bits worked . I don't want to spend a ton but I don't want to waste money on junk either.

Thanks

Santa brought me this Wheeler set several years back, and try as I may, I've yet to brek or bend any of them. Also, I've not yet found a screw something in here won't fit. It ain't cheap, but it sure beats buggered screw heads on your prized guns.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/439523/wheeler-engineering-89-piece-professional-plus-gunsmithing-screwdriver-set

Santa brought me this Wheeler set several years back, and try as I may, I've yet to brek or bend any of them. Also, I've not yet found a screw something in here won't fit. It ain't cheap, but it sure beats buggered screw heads on your prized guns.
                                http://www.midwayusa.com/product/439523/wheeler-engineering-89-piece-professional-plus-gunsmithing-screwdriver-set

Yeah I have that set also. No complaints.
I bought a set that looks like the current Grace sets on sale now at Midway almost forty years ago. Still have most of them and they held up well over the years.

When it comes to tools, I learned at a very early age to get quality ... buy once, cry once. Other than the occasional stolen or lost tool, I still have them all and they have served me for a lifetime. I worked them hard and they never failed me.

I fully expect to pass them down to my son if he ever gets his head out of his butt. If not, I'll give them to my stepson. Edited by Currently
  • Like 1

For small, precision screwdriver bits, I've had good luck with the Wiha brand stuff (out of Germany). Their steel seems to be harder than the cheapo Asian stuff that's at Home Depot / Harbor freight, which is a real necessity when trying to put some force on a bit that doesn't have much bearing surface to begin with. This is the kit that I have:

http://www.micro-tools.com/store/P-75996/System4-Precision-Bit-Set-Inchmetric-And-Esd-Handle-40-Pc.aspx

It's a little pricey, but has lasted me many years. The Micro-tools store also sells the bits individually, making replacement a lot easier. Wiha also makes the standard-size 1/4" insert bits, too, and a whole bunch of other tools.

I have a Wheeler set, Grace screwdrivers, A Brownells torque driver and a Wiha torque driver.  The Brownells torque driver sits in the box, while I use the Wheeler, Grace and Wiha every day.  I have a Chapman set I have had for years, but the little flat blades broke off quick on that set and I never saw where you could buy replacements individually.  The Chapman deluxe is handy for the range. I have had a couple of the Brownells driver sets that they market for specific guns like S&W KFrames and they work pretty good.

Although it wasn't my question, thanks guys for the information. I too have been thinkning about some dedicated tools for my guns. And like several have said quality is the best way to go on buying tools. You won't regret it in the long run.

Looks like a Whia set will be my choice. Don't think the German engineering would be a bad investment. 

Thanks for the replies. I have looked at the 3 Brownell bits ( I had bought for a black powder pistol I had ) and they do say USA on them. They seem to be of good quality. I am not sure who is making them for Brownell's but I did order a set with 24 bits . However it is on back order.

I guess I should have said that I like bits better than whole screwdrivers. I have a Snap On ratchet handle that I have had for years and love it. Hopefully it will not take that long for it to get back in stock.

• 2 weeks later...