Any IT people here?

Thanks,
So I'm assuming that my windows 7 code should work. Great. That will solve a big problem. Vista is a rabid dog.

Your code should work with any install. I have an install disk if you need it but downloading the .iso to a bootable flash drive is best.

It'll have you verify your install and Win 7 code when online, so the code needs to be good and if its an OEM code it will only work on one machine.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool Edited by Romad7

Since no one else has said it, I guess I will....

Just buy a Mac...

Funny, we were just thinking about replacing our 3 year old mac's today with some newer models... But then realized they still run like brand new so we can spend the $ on more important things like pizza and beer

• Like 1

Since no one else has said it, I guess I will....

Just buy a Mac...

yeah im gonna veto this option :D

Oh no! OS fight!

Just kidding, I prefer Apple products but everyone should just use what works for them. I will preach the benefits of Apple stuff but don't take it personally if someone likes something else more.

Oh no! OS fight!Just kidding, I prefer Apple products but everyone should just use what works for them. I will preach the benefits of Apple stuff but don't take it personally if someone likes something else more.

heh, no fight. I just believe that a mac has its own set of problems just like a PC. I just dont drink the koolaid :)

heh, no fight. I just believe that a mac has its own set of problems just like a PC. I just dont drink the koolaid :)

Awww, you mean this thread isn't going to degrade into 12 yr olds calling each other names because of the computer that they use? ;-)

dralarms,

I had issues with my laptop getting hot when I was running in closed hooked up to a monitor. I found a program that will allow you to control the fan speeds to help cool it off. This was a Mac app but there is probably the same thing for windows. It'll be louder but it could help.

I think is was called SMC fan control or something like that.

Edit: haven't tried this but here's an option, http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php Edited by Romad7

In 15 years of doing this, I've never seen a computer that needed the thermal paste replaced.

correct

yeah about the only reason you would reapply thermal paste would be:

A.) You didn't apply enough in the first place

B.) You removed the cpu heatsink for an extended period and it got covered in dust and your cat's hair

C.) You have one of those stupid "thermal pads" instead

Thermal paste just facilitiates the transfer of heat from the CPU to the heat sink. It doesn't really biodegrade or anything. I suppose you could have thermal breakdown if the temperature was too high for too long... but more than likely if it's hot enough to melt that paste, the computer is probably on fire. :)

If you're overheating it's probably because of dust or hair. You can clean that out with compressed air (don't shake or upturn the can). You can also use an air compressor... we're talking turtle, not rabbit.. please do not blow all the capacitors off your motherboard. Also make sure you remove any power from the system, which includes the battery from a laptop. Oh, a hair dryer with a "cold" setting also works, if it's it a decent enough dryer. My wife's hair dryer could dry a wet yak at 20 yards.

***edit***

I would also suggest that you NOT do this in the house unless you enjoy dust bunnies flying around.

Edited by NoBanStan

I agree with stan, however check your video cards fan, and all other fans to make sure they are running properly.  If there is a add in video card and the the fan is junked up it will shut down your system.  Heatsink fan will most def cause this as well.. Is it an AMD or INtel? AMD runs quite a bit higher in temp than pentium.... any differential in fan function will cause AMD based machines to shut down quickly.

ok,

First it is a notebook.

second, no video fan

3rd, no body has been in it so  what ever was there is there.

4th, I don't mind apple, I own an i phone but I don't need mac suggestions on a problem I have with a windows computer. Thats like telling a guy who owns a ford with a starter problem that a chevy would be better. No help at all.

5th. I appreciate all the help but I think the cooling fan is shot, taking it to a friend that's a computer guru tomorrow.