What is the classic pump action shotgun

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have an 870 that my father won in a duck calling contest in 1955. The original barrel is 28" full choke. I have added a 20 inch barrel with Cutts Compensator. With the Cutts spreader tube, it makes breaking clay pigeons child's play. Between my father and I, we have killed countless ducks, truckloads of deer, countless doves and thousands of clay pigeons.

The finish is now 'distressed' and there is little blueing left and some corrosion pitting from salt water and game blood, but not a part has been replaced and it should serve my grandson very well.

If someone were in need of a very reliable shotgun, a Remington Express in 12 ga. with a 28 inch barrel with choke tubes and 3" chamber will be all the gun you need. If you bought a used one in the $200 range, it will last you a lifetime.

Guest Lefty

I recently got a 1952 Ithaca 37 on Gunbroker and am impressed by the very smooth action, light weight, and well used classic vibe . It is the first shotgun I've owned and can only compare it to a couple of newer Mossburg 500's, and prefer it.

Guest BigJ45

I have a couple of 870's and in no way consider them classics. Do they work? Yes. But they are the same stamped out cheap crap that Big Green has been making for the last five decades. Classics are IMHO Winchester 97's and pre 64 12's, Marlin 93's, and Ithaca 37's.

• 4 weeks later...

I've killed hundreds of pheasants and thousands of clay pigeons with my Ithaca 37. It's a 70's model, 12 gauge 26 inch with a Polychoke.

I also have a Remington 870 and a Browning BPS, and have owned a couple of Mossbergs. I'll take the Ithaca.

Edited by enfield
Guest Centennial

The Remington Model 870 is the most successful shotgun in existence. I wouldn't want to be without at least one. However, I'll readily admit to having a "thing" for the Winchester Model 12.

You need the 3 shot extension.The kit includes the tube,spring and follower.Midway and Brownells both sell them.I am not sure if the Wingmaster has the dimples at the end of the tube or not,I know the Express does.If so they will need to be drilled out and the burrs inside the tube filed off in order for the extension to work.Simple procedure,takes maybe 5 minutes.

Guest coldblackwind

Personally, I have a .410 870, a 12 ga 870, a 20 ga winchester, and a 12 ga mossberg 500, I like all 4. use the 870's for hunting, the 500 for home defense, and the winchester is just fun to shoot with a pistol grip and short deer barrel :tough: