Where to live in Nashville area?

Romad7

Good Morning!

We are considering a move to Nashville but know very litte about the area and I wanted to see if you could help.

We are mid 30s with a 10 month old little girl.

Here is our list of desires:

Want to live in the country and have that lifestyle but be close to the city for occasional access to city stuff.

My job will be just east of the main city so looking for at most a 30-45 minute drive to that area.

Raising our daughter well is a high priority so we want a safe, friendly community with good schools that teach good conservative values along with solid curiculum and discipline. I am,after all, raising a future TGO'r here:-)

My wife likes to see for miles so an area with lots of hills that obstruct the views would be much less desirable that open farm country.

We're just getting started so we are looking for good areas to start with and to get a better feel for the area. We are open to all suggestions and experiences.

Also, if there are areas to stay away from please let me know, that is just as important.

Thank you!
First of all, this is Tennessee, not the Great Plains. Hills and trees come with the territory. If she wants to see for miles, maybe a mountain top.

If you want to be within 30-45 from the east side of Nashville, check out Mt. Juliet or Lebanon. For more of a country feel, check out Watertown. Although, that may be pushing you 30-45 minute drive to the limit.

Other nice areas around Nashville would be Franklin (Williamson County) and surrounding areas, Hendersonville (Sumner County) and some of the surrounding areas. Edited by TripleDigitRide

Mt. Juliet will be your best commute option and it has one of the better school systems (Wilson County #14 of 133). It's a growing area with a variety of housing price points and shopping.

Lebanon schools are not rated as highly (Lebanon SSD is #92 of 133).

Williamson County to the south of Nashville has the best public school system (#1 of 133). It's also going to be one of the more expensive places to buy property.

All 3 areas are worth exploring, but if it were me, I'd try to stay outside Lebanon's city limits if I were looking in Wilson county.

http://www.schooldigger.com/go/TN/districtrank.aspx

• Like 1
Good info, some names are familiar from searching but some new ideas too.

Finding the view she wants seems to be difficult but there are some places that we found that would work decently well.

I guess the political climate in schools is just going downhill everywhere these days, I'm sure it's much better than California though!

You're going to need a fat wallet to meet the criteria you've listed.

The job will be good for that and a major reason that we are considering Nashville. I'll probably have to settle for a little longer commute in order to get the amount of land that I would like but that's ok.

The job will be good for that and a major reason that we are considering Nashville. I'll probably have to settle for a little longer commute in order to get the amount of land that I would like but that's ok.

That's what I was getting at. Farmland in Franklin, Hendersonville, Chapel Hill, Murfreesboro, or Mt. Juliet is available from time to time, but you'll be competing with Titan's players and country music stars to buy it.

Franklin would be first on my list.  Best schools, best resell value on a house (most expensive too), and great shopping.  I live next door to Mt. Juliet, and while it's a nice area, the shopping is pretty lousy.  The best department store in the area is JCPenney's.  You can buy land in Davidson County too, but the taxes are a lot higher.

Most of Rutherford county around Murfreesboro and Eagleville lies in the Stones River basin, so it's pretty flat with a ring of hills around the area.

Gladeville is a pretty good suggestion, I hadn't thought of that. Still quite rural, but relatively close to everything.

I down in the southern edge of Williamson county and things are still relatively affordable with pretty good schools. Most are less than 10 years old with more than half being less than 5 years old. Lost of growth. But that commute into Nashville everyday really stinks. 35 miles each way up 65 at 7:00 is no fun. If they ever finish the years of construction it will get a little better.

Man come on over to my part of the world, we can get togeather for a shoot.
Mt Juliet is a good little place, Gladeville is just around the corner, flat out that way.

That's funny because one of the first thoughts I had about moving to Nashville was "I could go shooting with Red!" I'll definitely look you up if we move out there. If I can get some ammo together, that is....

We live in the Brentwood area and are moving to Fairview hopefully within the next few weeks.  Fairview is a little smaller and more country/privacy and mainly, it's not in Davidson county.  Near our current place, we have little Mexico (Antioch) just right down the road and traffic is horrendous during the weekdays.

To get down on the south part of downtown, it'll take about an extra 10 minutes, but that's no problem at all for actually being able to have some privacy and lower taxes, lower gas prices and less crime.

Guess it just depends on what you need, there are plenty of counties surrounding Davidson that I would suggest looking at instead of Davidson itself.

<edit> In the Franklin/Fairview area there is plenty of open land, our new place is surrounded front and back by horse farms. As TDR said, you're going to have hills here no matter where you go, and usually you can only see as far as the nearest tree line unless you land a place with an overlook of some sort.

Edited by Sam1

I am in Northern Sumner county, it meets your needs.  if you want a tour, pm me and we can meet on a weekend and i can show you around.  I also work downtown nashville, so i understand your requirements.

I may do that, thank you!

Soooooo...What's wrong with Davidson County? I left Nashville in 1982 and haven't been back, but as I remember, it was a good place to live..... If you like cities.

Edited by Will Carry

Soooooo...What's wrong with Davidson County? I left Nashville in 1982 and haven't been back, but as I remember, it was a good place to live..... If you like cities.
Crime and taxes, for starters.

I've been here in davidson off & on since the 80s. Its a hot mess clusterpuck of commie liberal infestation flocking to jobsites within 15 min of 37219. With healthcare, education & half dozen smaller industries the northern/western bluebots have commandeered metro including schools. Affluent families continues to emmigrate to outlying area as the liberal mayor/council rack up nearly 1.9billion in bond parity debt, so moodys just downgraded us, with all their beautification projects to lure hipsters. I'm itching to get out further.
Remember if its too flat it might flood. 'Sides which if u get a good holler you've got an embankment to shoot into.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

I've been here in davidson off & on since the 80s. Its a hot mess clusterpuck of commie liberal infestation flocking to jobsites within 15 min of 37219. With healthcare, education & half dozen smaller industries the northern/western bluebots have commandeered metro including schools. Affluent families continues to emmigrate to outlying area as the liberal mayor/council rack up nearly 1.9billion in bond parity debt, so moodys just downgraded us, with all their beautification projects to lure hipsters. I'm itching to get out further. Remember if its too flat it might flood. 'Sides which if u get a good holler you've got an embankment to shoot into.Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

This is exactly why we left the cities of CA, good to know. Am I right to assume that if we just stay out of the city that we should be able to avoid most of this?

I check every place we look at for a good shooting spot, my wife has her priorities and I have mine:-)