Korean war part II

Reuters has just reported that North Korea officially declared a "state of war" with South Korea, and has said that if the US tries to intervene, they'll turn it nuclear.

http://live.reuters.com/Event/North_Korea/70001409

From the article it appears that bullets are not yet flying but North Korea is waiting for the slightest provocation from south Korea or it's allies to launch a full scale attack that will include nuclear weapons, with Guam and Hawaii, specifically mentioned.

Hang on to your hats, the next few weeks will be interesting.

Edited to add: While I think this would definitely be firearm related, apologies if it doesn't meet the criteria for this section. Please move if needed.

Edited by quietmike

read some crap the other day that stated they couldnt restart the war because the un wouldnt allow it,what a load of dung,they are a radical group that needs removed any way possible in order to stabilize that part of the world,60+ years of opressing those people is way too long IMO.

read some crap the other day that stated they couldnt restart the war because the un wouldnt allow it,what a load of dung,they are a radical group that needs removed any way possible in order to stabilize that part of the world,60+ years of opressing those people is way too long IMO.

I doubt they will ask the UN to "allow" them to attack South Korea or anyone else.

+1 I have always said DPRK is the worst areas in the world, but we have chosen not to go to war with them due to logistical concerns.  Hussein's rule has nothing on the Kim's

read some crap the other day that stated they couldnt restart the war because the un wouldnt allow it,what a load of dung....

It's not "a load of dung."

All the UN has to do is post signs that declare the area a War Free Zone and everything will be fine. Edited by BrasilNuts
  • Like 7
Guest carter

this would be an interesting "war" and i think a very short lived one... every propaganda NK vid i have seen have all been horse crap... with soldiers having 5 rounds of ammo to practice with, and running drill with about half the soldiers wielding firearms... unless China backs them and gets in the fight then we squash them also, and wala no more debt we have to pay them...  :usa:

Edited by carter

I guess the North Koreans just thinks that the armies stationed in S. Korea are just going to sit around eating popcorn while Kim Junk Lard sashays right on into Seoul. That young'un needs to think his actions out very carefully. But of course right now, he has nothing to lose. If he causes a war, we'll feed his people and rebuild his kingdom and saves face with his people. These last sanctions took his party money and he's just a tad P'd about it!

Dave S

I’m sure our AEGIS class ships are in the area and prepared to knock down whatever NK launches.

The threat of nuclear war is ridiculous. They may well try to launch a nuke, but we don’t need nukes to neutralize NK; and won’t use them.

The problem (and loss of American lives) will come if there is hand wringing on the part of Obama in the event of an act of war.

Have our bombers deliver a few MOAB’s to NK’s top leaders; and it’s over.  You would think after Korea, Vietnam, and Afghanistan our leaders would learn.  Use the technology we have developed and end these threats with extreme prejudice.

• Like 4
Guest carter

well not sure if Kim has cable or not... he might not even know about anything we have...he might think that is all the troops we have that are standing and stationed on the border...just staring at each other all day... the people are so sheltered there and have no idea what is going on in the world... 

North Korea is waiting for the slightest provocation from south Korea or it's allies to launch a full scale attack that will include nuclear weapons, with Guam and Hawaii, specifically mentioned.

as nuts as Jong is the provocation could be something as simple as our guys going out for a cheeseburger and a beer.

this would be an interesting "war" and i think a very short lived one... every propaganda NK vid i have seen have all been horse crap... with soldiers having 5 rounds of ammo to practice with, and running drill with about half the soldiers wielding firearms... unless China backs them and gets in the fight then we squash them also, and wala no more debt we have to pay them...  :usa:

Don't be quick to judge that situation, Cav scout and I both spent a few years there and can say without question it would be the nastiest war in modern times.  We have anywhere between 25,000-30,000 US troops there at any given point, and the calculations were for approximately 75% of them to be dead after the first attack from the north.  DPRK has enough artillery to shoot it's like 4000 rounds minute for days straight and never run out... And that's all we know of, nor is it taking into consideration the use of chemicals which is a large portion of their stockpile.

They will not use nukes on the south because they need to capture the resources.  Those people have lived in absolute misery for decades, we simple do not have the stomach to deal with images like what happened in the first Korean war with melted machine gun barrels overlooking acres of rice patties with so many dead bodies you could walk across and never touch the mud one time.

Edited by Sam1
  • Like 2
Guest carter

Don't be quick to judge that situation, Cav scout and I both spent a few years there and can say without question it would be the nastiest war in modern times.  We have anywhere between 25,000-30,000 US troops there at any given point, and the calculations were for approximately 75% of them to be dead after the first attack from the north.  DPRK has enough artillery to shoot it's like 4000 rounds minute for days straight and never run out... And that's all we know of, nor is it taking into consideration the use of chemicals which is a large portion of their stockpile.

They will not use nukes on the south because they need to capture the resources.  Those people have lived in absolute misery for decades, we simple do not have the stomach to deal with images like what happened in the first Korean war with melted machine gun barrels overlooking acres of rice patties with so many dead bodies you could walk across and never touch the mud one time.

true...i have only seen movies that depict the invasion...but that was then...now we have more pin point GPS guided bombs and unmanned drones... and sats that can read the date on a dime your holding... I'm not saying lives wouldn't be lost but it would be a much different war than it was back then.

also think it's funny there have been 2 movies released recently with NK invasions on the United States.

Edited by carter

true...i have only seen movies that depict the invasion...but that was then...now we have more pin point GPS guided bombs and unmanned drones... and sats that can read the date on a dime your holding... I'm not saying lives wouldn't be lost but it would be a much different war than it was back then.

also think it's funny there have been 2 movies released recently with NK invasions on the United States.

There are two types of terrain in Korea, uphill and downhill. That is what kills our tech advantage, sure we have precision guided munitions, but those things have a terrible accuracy on the other side of a mountain.

These mountains also hide AA systems, since it's impossible to see on the opposite side, a drone wouldn't be able to see more than a fraction of what it does in the sandbox.  Helicopters flying nap bust over a ridge and poof without warning AA right at them, nothing they can do. Jets flying high and fast would have trouble firing back at AA in a ridge pocket, but that AA would have a field day with them.

All the computers in the world cannot change terrain, and we are simply not set up to perform infantry operations like what would be required there. And, since DPRK has no money, infantry is the largest focus on their tactics. 

Just remember there are more ways to deliver bombs (including nukes) than flying or launching rockets.  How many tunnels have they found into SK?  The question is how many haven't they found?

Also the capitol city of SK is within Arty range of the North...

The fact is we don't want to go to war against the North unless we have to, it will seriously damage SK and Japan's economies, best case.

I’m sure our AEGIS class ships are in the area and prepared to knock down whatever NK launches.

The threat of nuclear war is ridiculous. They may well try to launch a nuke, but we don’t need nukes to neutralize NK; and won’t use them.

The problem (and loss of American lives) will come if there is hand wringing on the part of Obama in the event of an act of war.

Have our bombers deliver a few MOAB’s to NK’s top leaders; and it’s over.  You would think after Korea, Vietnam, and Afghanistan our leaders would learn.  Use the technology we have developed and end these threats with extreme prejudice.

Cut off the snakes head, and see it die quickly!  I think little Kim has something to prove.  For all we know, Daddy Kim probably brain washed his kid, and told him upon his death, he has 1 year to start the war. 

Having a brother stationed over in South Korea, a sister in law and two young nieces there too... this isn't good news at all. But, there seems to be no real fear from them yet. If anything happens there, she and the babies will be forced to leave. My brother will have to stay.