Seat belts saved us **Pics added**

Guest Lester Weevils

Lumber_Jack, glad you and wife are OK and sad the other driver didn't make it.

Maybe you already said and I missed reading the detail, and apologies if this is inappropriate "aspbergers-type" curiosity about trivial matters, but is your land rover 1- still drivable, 2- repairable, or 3- totalled according to the insurance company? The damage looks amazingly minor considering the circumstances, but nowadays, some of the modern vehicles they will sometimes declare "totaled" when they don't look crazy tore-up. Just curious. That is one tough vehicle even if it does happen to be totaled.

Lumber_Jack, glad you and wife are OK and sad the other driver didn't make it.

Maybe you already said and I missed reading the detail, and apologies if this is inappropriate "aspbergers-type" curiosity about trivial matters, but is your land rover 1- still drivable, 2- repairable, or 3- totalled according to the insurance company? The damage looks amazingly minor considering the circumstances, but nowadays, some of the modern vehicles they will sometimes declare "totaled" when they don't look crazy tore-up. Just curious. That is one tough vehicle even if it does happen to be totaled.

No worries. We haven't heard officially yet. They are moving the vehicle from the tow yard to the collision center for evaluation. So it will be a few days before we know anything for sure. One thing about expensive cars is their value is high but so are parts and repair. I'd be really surprised if they don't total the vehicle. There was pretty extensive damage to the front and rear suspension as well as all 4 quarters, front and rear bumpers and the rear hatch. Honestly I'm not sure the frame isn't bent. The only parts that didn't seem damaged were the rear passenger doors. Everything else will need some kind of repair.

No worries. We haven't heard officially yet. They are moving the vehicle from the tow yard to the collision center for evaluation. So it will be a few days before we know anything for sure. One thing about expensive cars is their value is high but so are parts and repair. I'd be really surprised if they don't total the vehicle. There was pretty extensive damage to the front and rear suspension as well as all 4 quarters, front and rear bumpers and the rear hatch. Honestly I'm not sure the frame isn't bent. The only parts that didn't seem damaged were the rear passenger doors. Everything else will need some kind of repair.

I would say it is probably totaled.  It has an integrated body-frame and if the body is tweaked it's not a good sign.  Land Rover's are definitely expensive, but my number one reason for driving them is definitely the piece of mind I get, I have always felt that there is no other vehicle I would rather be in when in dangerous situations.

My fiance was rear ended this evening, the guy was also looking at his phone.  There was no real noticeable damage, so when the officer arrived she said she couldn't see anything.  He told her, "if there's no damage, there's no wreck." He acted like it was a problem that he had to respond and act like it was an issue that he had to right a report.  When I looked at it her rear bumper is definitely scratched up, and the bumper will need to be painted, especially since it only has 8k miles. It is now no wonder why traffic is so bad in Nashville.  On my way home from work last night I witnessed a lady passing someone using the median, and have witnessed people flying down the median on Bell Rd. with their hazards on.

Edited by AU_88
I had a co worker killed getting hit just like you, but it was 45mph. A teenager rear ended her. she was an older lady but died 4 days later due to injuries.

I like my big truck. If a car rear ends me most of the impact will go under the bed. I dont feel as safe in my wifes car.
Good your both ok. Prayers sent for her family. The seatbelt issue is one of controversy. I have cut both with and without seatbelts out of vehicals with grave results. Phones and driving on the other hand kill and injure people everyday. Please stay off your phone while driving. Looking for a contact or trying to find your favorite song on the iPod is no different than texting. This past Saturday a friend of mine wrecked his truck due to texting while driving. Lucky he was alright but his truck is totaled. I am getting off my soapbox now. Again glad your both Alright.
Guest Lester Weevils

Thanks for the info. Whether or not the vehicle is totaled is a very minor issue in the grand scheme. Was just marveling at the pictures, where your land rover appeared possibly still drivable (though obviously beat up bad) which was kinda amazing after getting whacked that hard.

This thread has done two things

1)  I double check my seatbelt, and have told the wife to never take chances - even if its a short distance.

2)  Seriously consider a Land Rover as the next family vehicle

Happy to see you & yours are safe Lumber Jack!  Thanks for sharing!

• Like 2

How did the damage happen to the driver side front? It appeared you hit the guard rail on the right side of the road.

We also hit a large catering van in front of us. I managed to turn the wheel prior to impact so it pushed us off to the right and hit both corners rather that direct front.

This thread has done two things

1)  I double check my seatbelt, and have told the wife to never take chances - even if its a short distance.

2)  Seriously consider a Land Rover as the next family vehicle

Happy to see you & yours are safe Lumber Jack!  Thanks for sharing!

Man those pics tell me "do #2" in the above post.

We always do the #1.

Two things I have learned in my years as a traffic investigator is never assume speed by the damage and never assume injuries by the damage. I'm sure she was speeding though because people drive crazy. Did she hit her brakes at all?

Two things I have learned in my years as a traffic investigator is never assume speed by the damage and never assume injuries by the damage. I'm sure she was speeding though because people drive crazy. Did she hit her brakes at all?

Yes, there were about 5 ft of skid marks before impact. My car move another 12-15 feet past impact point. Speed limit drops from 65-55 right where we were hit.