BRITS SHOCKED AT EASY AVAILABILITY OF KNIVES

POSTED ON APRIL 7, 2013 BY JOHN HINDERAKER IN GUN CONTROL

In the U.K., private ownership of firearms is virtually banned. Professional criminals can still get guns, of course, but for your typical thug, knives are the weapon of choice. Thus there has been a steady outpouring of concern over burgeoning “knife crime” in recent years. The Sunundertook a bit of investigative journalism to find out how easy it is to obtain knives illegally, and was shocked at the result:

LETHAL swords, machetes and knives are being sold illegally to children — with no questions asked.

A Sun investigation today reveals how shockingly easy it is for youngsters to buy weapons, despite a series of high-profile killings involving teenagers.

One girl was able to buy 14 deadly blades from seven shops in just a few hours.

It is striking how similar descriptions of knife-buying in the U.K. are to gun-buying in the United States. In particular, gang members generally don’t buy knives themselves, but send their girlfriends to do it:

The Sun’s investigators sent girls to buy the knives in order to copy the tactics used by gangs. By law, shops can only sell blades to over-18s who can produce ID. But 17-year-old Hannah Rose-Wynter was served in seven shops without being asked to prove her age. …

A South London gang member, 15, told how teens get their girlfriends to buy knives because females arouse less suspicion and local shops rarely ask questions.

Great Britain has banned guns, but it can’t very well ban knives:

Kitchen knives are the most commonly used weapons in teenage gang attacks, police say.

Even in the nanny state, you can’t realistically expect people to get by on forks and spoons. But there are more frightening blades available than mere kitchen knives:

Hannah also bought terrifying swords from two martial arts stores, a machete from a Chinese supermarket and kebab knives from a business based at a house in Brockley. She said: “I was shocked at how many knives I was able to buy.”

In Liverpool, 17-year-old Beth Carter bought a large cook’s knife from The Catering Equipment Centre in Mossley Hill and said: “I couldn’t believe how easy it was.”

Here is Miss Rose-Wynter’s haul:

500x548xknives_bought_from_1705471a.jpg.

Is this a parody? No. It is straight reporting. If you ban guns, this is what you get: knife crime. It’s that pesky human nature again…

Edited by JG55
God they'd die if they came to the forge and saw some of the things I made out of scrap metal and time. Human nature says unless you lock us all in seprate rubber rooms under sedation, there will always be violence and violent people.

Sent from the backwoods of Nowhere
  • Like 6
Guest ThePunisher
Weapons have been made since the beginning of time for self-defense purposes, and evil purposes. Ban one weapon and another will appear on the scene. Criminals will always have weapons.

Cain killed Abel, don't think he used an AR, maybe a rock or a knife?  Criminals will use what they can get.... More people were murdered with knives than ARs here in the US.

Guest PapaB

If they try banning large knives and swords the extremist Muslims will claim religious persecution. They need them to enforce sharia law.

If they try banning large knives and swords the extremist Muslims will claim religious persecution. They need them to enforce sharia law.

And beheading and cutting up their victums as in New Jersey...

Cain killed Abel, don't think he used an AR, maybe a rock or a knife?  Criminals will use what they can get.... More people were murdered with knives than ARs here in the US.

Maybe the jawbone of one of Obama's ancestors?  (I can't believe I said that.)

• Like 3
Amazing. I was just shooting clays last week with a 14 year old JROTC member who had a nice gerber knife he carried. Somehow he didn't put his eye out or stab anyone. What would the Brits say? Of course, he was wielding a 20 ga shotgun, so I guess the knife would be the least of libtard concerns.

it's my understanding that over yonder its illegal to own any knife that folds (auto and non-auto) that locks into place ...

it seems like i've also read a story some years back where some company doing cinema/plays/theatre got into trouble for owning knife/sword reproductions for the show ...

i'm trying to find the report i read, but having some trouble; will post when i find it

Madness.

No sane person could have come up with such an assinine policy & expected it to work, any piece of metal wood or even plastic can be sharpened into a "shiv" and used as a weapon, just ask any prison guard the sort of mayhem that can be caused even in such a controled/closed population like a jail or in a prison.

You're never ever going to stop "criminals" no matter how many laws you pass no matter how many police you put on the streets, all you do is disarm & hassle the good people who are law abiding family folk.

it's my understanding that over yonder its illegal to own any knife that folds (auto and non-auto) that locks into place ...

Not own, but general carry. Non-locking with cutting edge of 3" or under. Certain exceptions just like here, occupation, outdoor rec, whatever.  That's England, dunno exactly 'bout Scotland, either part of Ireland, or Wales.

Spyderco and Boker among others make specific UK legal configs.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

POSTED ON APRIL 7, 2013 BY JOHN HINDERAKER IN GUN CONTROL

In the U.K., private ownership of firearms is virtually banned. Professional criminals can still get guns, of course, but for your typical thug, knives are the weapon of choice. Thus there has been a steady outpouring of concern over burgeoning “knife crime” in recent years. The Sunundertook a bit of investigative journalism to find out how easy it is to obtain knives illegally, and was shocked at the result:

It is striking how similar descriptions of knife-buying in the U.K. are to gun-buying in the United States. In particular, gang members generally don’t buy knives themselves, but send their girlfriends to do it:

LETHAL swords, machetes and knives are being sold illegally to children — with no questions asked.

A Sun investigation today reveals how shockingly easy it is for youngsters to buy weapons, despite a series of high-profile killings involving teenagers.

One girl was able to buy 14 deadly blades from seven shops in just a few hours.

Great Britain has banned guns, but it can’t very well ban knives:

The Sun’s investigators sent girls to buy the knives in order to copy the tactics used by gangs. By law, shops can only sell blades to over-18s who can produce ID. But 17-year-old Hannah Rose-Wynter was served in seven shops without being asked to prove her age. …

A South London gang member, 15, told how teens get their girlfriends to buy knives because females arouse less suspicion and local shops rarely ask questions.

Even in the nanny state, you can’t realistically expect people to get by on forks and spoons. But there are more frightening blades available than mere kitchen knives:

Kitchen knives are the most commonly used weapons in teenage gang attacks, police say.

Hannah also bought terrifying swords from two martial arts stores, a machete from a Chinese supermarket and kebab knives from a business based at a house in Brockley. She said: “I was shocked at how many knives I was able to buy.”

In Liverpool, 17-year-old Beth Carter bought a large cook’s knife from The Catering Equipment Centre in Mossley Hill and said: “I couldn’t believe how easy it was.”

I find the italicized line above interesting because a butter knife in the right hands could constitute a deadly blade.