How ya gonna build your TGO billet lower?

There's a lot of factory ammo available if you're not in the middle of an ammo shortage. It's more expensive than 223. Bigger bullets = bigger price. Same deal with reloading.

I have my 300blk reloads down to 18 cents. If I can swing a take down suppressor I may start casting to bring them around a nickel a round.

I have my 300blk reloads down to 18 cents. If I can swing a take down suppressor I may start casting to bring them around a nickel a round.

I haven't paid close attention. I know you can get some bullet deals on the more common .308 weights. So far, I've just been loading 125gr and less. Haven't started messing with subsonic yet.

I haven't paid close attention. I know you can get some bullet deals on the more common .308 weights. So far, I've just been loading 125gr and less. Haven't started messing with subsonic yet.

I got some 175gr Sierra Match King pulled bullets from David here on the forum for 125/1000. That was key to getting them down so cheap.

I don't think it will make a difference to this deal, but I'd like take my name off of the "list" of those who committed to buying one of the TGO lowers. I have my future .300 BLK build in my head, and the design will require a certain style/design with matching upper and lower.
Now I am thinking about doing a pistol upper in 300BLK with the intention of going to SBR later. I'm trying to dig up some old threads to read about the process of doing that. So far, it sounds like you can go from pistol to SBR just fine (with tax stamp of course), but cannot go from a rifle AR lower to a pistol lower. Is that correct? Edited by Batman
It's not the lower that should concern you. A lower is a lower. It's the gas system length that your needing to address. A pistol length gas system upper is what you will want with an adjustable gas block. You would basically be tricking your gas system into thinking it was carbine length or longer when not firing subsonic ammo.

Now I am thinking about doing a pistol upper in 300BLK with the intention of going to SBR later. I'm trying to dig up some old threads to read about the process of doing that. So far, it sounds like you can go from pistol to SBR just fine (with tax stamp of course), but cannot go from a rifle AR lower to a pistol lower. Is that correct?

It's not the lower that should concern you. A lower is a lower. It's the gas system length that your needing to address. A pistol length gas system upper is what you will want with an adjustable gas block. You would basically be tricking your gas system into thinking it was carbine length or longer when not firing subsonic ammo.

Now I am thinking about doing a pistol upper in 300BLK with the intention of going to SBR later. I'm trying to dig up some old threads to read about the process of doing that. So far, it sounds like you can go from pistol to SBR just fine (with tax stamp of course), but cannot go from a rifle AR lower to a pistol lower. Is that correct?

He's talking about legalities. Is there an echo in here?

Edited by mikegideon

He's talking about legalities. Is there an echo in here?

Must have misunderstood what he was getting at. And yes I see the echo now. I wasn't sure that it even posted since my phone started opening up every app on it then froze. I guess it over compensated.

Because of the recent war on guns, I'll probably avoid any NFA items as long as the commies are in power.

I completely agree, seems to me that if you have NFA items you might as well have yours guns registered.. I guess there is no way for them to know exactly what you have but they are going to know you have something?

A virgin lower is just a lower, "other firearm".

If it's built as a pistol first, it can back and forth from pistol to rifle to pistol at will. If it's built as a rifle first, it must stay a rifle.

Here's a spin, too. Since federal law does not denote a barrel length for a rifle, if you build an AR of any length, it's a pistol until you add the stock. So if you add the stock last, you built a pistol first, eh? (not legal advice).

If you have a legal SBR, you can simply shoot it without the stock, and you have a "pistol" even though it's actually just a rifle without the stock, but you don't have to worry about barrel length or overall length or vertical forward grip, because you've already have a stamp that covers all that. :)

Where you could potentially get stuck legally is with a used lower. If it were first transferred as a complete rifle, you could not make it a pistol, and there would be a record of that on manufacturers records and the original 4473. Even if the first owner had bought it as only a lower and had made a rifle, still wouldn't be legal to make a pistol of it, although there wouldn't be an actual written record of that as in the first case. Could get sticky I guess if first owner later transferred it on a 4473 as complete rifle, assuming they ran that down.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

A virgin lower is just a lower, "other firearm".

If it's built as a pistol first, it can back and forth from pistol to rifle to pistol at will. If it's built as a rifle first, it must stay a rifle.

Here's a spin, too. Since federal law does not denote a barrel length for a rifle, if you build an AR of any length, it's a pistol until you add the stock. So if you add the stock last, you built a pistol first, eh? (not legal advice).

If you have a legal SBR, you can simply shoot it without the stock, and you have a "pistol" even though it's actually just a rifle without the stock, but you don't have to worry about barrel length or overall length or vertical forward grip, because you've already have a stamp that covers all that. :)

Where you could potentially get stuck legally is with a used lower. If it were first transferred as a complete rifle, you could not make it a pistol, and there would be a record of that on manufacturers records and the original 4473. Even if the first owner had bought it as only a lower and had made a rifle, still wouldn't be legal to make a pistol of it, although there wouldn't be an actual written record of that as in the first case. Could get sticky I guess if first owner later transferred it on a 4473 as complete rifle, assuming they ran that down.

- OS

Thanks, that helps. My ARs are built as rifles, but the idea of an AR pistol is growing on me.

Because of the recent war on guns, I'll probably avoid any NFA items as long as the commies are in power.

That's the only reason I don't have a couple suppressors and an SBR already :)

I figure if I build this one as a pistol, I'm just one step closer to SBR if I ever get the nerve to fill out the paperwork. Edited by Batman